Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 112
  1. #21
    Pylons's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2005
    Posts
    7,003
    Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    i didn't because we aren't paying them that. when auburn's subsidy expires in june, then i will.

    here's the question. how can Beamer and the VT athletic department claim that a national championship is our goal when we rank 6th in the ACC in assistant salaries? this is what has people frustrated.

    i'm sorry but when "we're not even 10% behind UVa" is rationalization for where we stand in salaries...you've lost me.
    well, what do you think we're going to pay them when the subsidy expires? just $150k each? in that case, go ahead and get angry, but something tells me that's not the plan, regardless of who interviews where

    the point is that it's hardly "peanuts"...you think it's too low, fine

    how can FSU claim they're trying to win a national championship when they're paying only 2/3 of what the top ACC team is paying?

    as for UVa, how is the good pay thing working for them?

    some of this reminds me of the "lock up SG for life...whatever it takes!" ridiculousness from the early Greenberg days

  2. #22
    I must have been away for a while. Frank is now the athletic director too?
    Come on people, think about what you're saying. Frank's job is to win football games. Not balance the budget and pay for the volleyball team. If Frank could pay out $15 million in assistant salaries and hire anybody he wanted on the planet, then who thinks he wouldn't do that? He wants to make as much money as possible and he wants to be able to pay assistants as much as possible. Not because they are his son or his adopted sons. Because he wants to hire the best coaches he can, because he wants to win ballgames. He doesn't write their checks. In fact, look at his contract negotiations over the years. He's often negotiated for more money for assistants. That was a big part of his negotiations with the UNC thing a few years ago. Frank is human; he wants to squeeze all he can get out of the athletic dept, and he wants to have the best coaching staff he can. I'm sure he will lobby all he can to get Grimes a matching offer if he wants him to stay. Doesn't mean it will happen, it just seems silly to lay it on Frank.

  3. #23
    '07 national champions typed by ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 02, 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    I love how people say things like "CBS is not productive, not a good TE coach" etc without really knowing how to judge such things. Do you think a "not good TE coach" could really take a last minute recruit who had only a single year of high school experience and turn him into a serviceable TE his true freshman year in college. Also, I think Andre Smith would disagree with your assessment of "not a good TE coach".....
    i dont actually believe that, ill see your andre smith and raise you a kalvin cline and ryan malleck.

    i just said that edgemans point required supposition of all those ideas, which i do not agree with. im glad CBS is working for us.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by 133697Hokie View Post
    My father went to VT. My uncle went to VT. My brother-in-law went to VT. I went to VT. My son went to VT. I saw my first VT game in 1962. Can you top that? First time in my life anybody's ever called me a Hoo.

  4. #24
    Senior Member vthokiedsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 07, 2012
    Location
    St Pete
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    well, what do you think we're going to pay them when the subsidy expires? just $150k each? in that case, go ahead and get angry, but something tells me that's not the plan, regardless of who interviews where

    the point is that it's hardly "peanuts"...you think it's too low, fine

    how can FSU claim they're trying to win a national championship when they're paying only 2/3 of what the top ACC team is paying?

    as for UVa, how is the good pay thing working for them?

    some of this reminds me of the "lock up SG for life...whatever it takes!" ridiculousness from the early Greenberg days
    i think that grimes and loeffler will be gone when their current "contracts" end. who's angry?

    yes, i think it's too low. because they recruit like they want a NC and that extra 10% maybe makes a big difference with better talent.

    don't care if their coaches suck. if we want to be THE program in virginia, we have to pay our coordinators and assistants like they are THE best in the state.

    no idea what "lock up SG for life" means? lost me.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

  5. #25
    Pylons's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2005
    Posts
    7,003
    Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    i think that grimes and loeffler will be gone when their current "contracts" end. who's angry?
    ok, frustrated

    Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    yes, i think it's too low. because they recruit like they want a NC and that extra 10% maybe makes a big difference with better talent.
    and that's fine..."maybe" it does...but, again, look at FSU...really not all that different from what we pay

    and I agree that if Loeffler and Grimes and whoever else are successful, they deserve to be compensated...I'm just not sure why we're making a deal out of it now

    Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    don't care if their coaches suck. if we want to be THE program in virginia, we have to pay our coordinators and assistants like they are THE best in the state.
    are we not THE program in Virginia now? by a freaking mile or 2? I'm missing the logic on that one. Because UVa chooses to spend frivolously, we need to keep pace? Are recruits going to UVa because their assistants are paid 10% better?

    Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    no idea what "lock up SG for life" means? lost me.
    Seth Greenberg. He had a modicum of success early and some people immediately suggested he needed a raise so no one else would snatch him away...I'm talking like in year 1.

    Loeffler and Grimes are promising...I hope they help us to great success...I just wouldn't worry about salaries a whole lot at this point (beyond whatever deal was good enough to get them here).

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    are we not THE program in Virginia now? by a freaking mile or 2? I'm missing the logic on that one. Because UVa chooses to spend frivolously, we need to keep pace? Are recruits going to UVa because their assistants are paid 10% better?
    VT may be the best program in the state. However, that may not carry as much weight to a coach when he is comparing the program to the rest of the US (perceptually speaking). It is very possible that a 4th or 5th "best" program in another state could have more potential, prestige, resources, and whatever else matters to a coach than VT's program. Just because VT is the best program in the state, doesn't necessarily mean that coaches think it is "all that and a bag of chips." If anything it may give an indication of where VA football ranks on the football radar. Until the football played in the state is valued more by coaches, then there is a good chance that most young coaches will see VT as nothing more than a stepping stone to a bigger and better collegiate program.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    October 20, 2002
    Posts
    1,043
    If any assistant deserves a raise based on performance, it's Gray.
    You can't upset the salary structure of your asst staff by trying to match what they were paying the previous OL coach. What would the others say?
    This is similar to the Yankees (LSU) and Athletics (VT). Our revenue is way below LSU. Unfortunately, we are not going to win any money battles, if that is what it comes down to. No sense in even going down that road.
    If there is an offer, let's just hope we have other things to offer that are more important than money. Whether you think it or not, there are a lot of expectations at that program and grumbling about Miles. The fan base there is close to a NC or bust mentality.

  8. #28
    Pylons's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2005
    Posts
    7,003
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    VT may be the best program in the state. However, that may not carry as much weight to a coach when he is comparing the program to the rest of the US (perceptually speaking). It is very possible that a 4th or 5th "best" program in another state could have more potential, prestige, resources, and whatever else matters to a coach than VT's program. Just because VT is the best program in the state, doesn't necessarily mean that coaches think it is "all that and a bag of chips." If anything it may give an indication of where VA football ranks on the football radar. Until the football played in the state is valued more by coaches, then there is a good chance that most young coaches will see VT as nothing more than a stepping stone to a bigger and better collegiate program.
    yep...certainly true

    vthokiedsp brought up "if we want to be THE program in virginia"

  9. #29
    HokieHaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    Charles Town, WV
    Posts
    11,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    So basically the Stinespring money needs to get spread around to the productive coaches, right?

    I don't understand why Stiney is still on the staff. Homie doesn't buy the "essential recruiter" crap excuse. If Frank loves Stiney so much, why isn't he paying him out of his own salary? If we're losing the war for assistant salaries, why do we continue to pay "dead wood?" That's on Frank! Pretty clear he still values "friendship" over "job performance."
    So let's see what's wrong with this post. Stiney is an essential recruiter, just because your negative bias of him doesn't think so, doesn't make it so. Ask recruiting experts if Stiney is important to VT's recruiting efforts, and I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority would tell you he is. He also did a fairly decent job of coaching up Mr. Kline this year and got him to be a productive member of the offense.

    How are we losing the war on salaries for our assistant coaches if, as of now, no one has left. If you think VT will ever pay at the level of an LSU or the other upper echelon SEC schools, you're delusional. They bring in WAY more money than we do, and it's not close. So unless you have a couple million dollars laying around or know someone that does, don't count on our salaries ever really approaching SEC levels.
    I want those that get to know me to become admirers of my enemies.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    yep...certainly true

    vthokiedsp brought up "if we want to be THE program in virginia"
    When you are talking about the rest of the country, I am not sure being "THE program" in the state will cut it anymore; especially since VA is not considered a football factory state or included in the "best" region (i.e. Gulf Coast Region).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •