Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer74 View Post
    That would be a big blow. Not sure how the asst coaches contracts work. Believe we would have to agree to let him go? Interesting that they paid their previous OL coach twice what he makes here
    As late as 2013, the assistants didn't have contracts, except for the coordinators. From a Bitter blog last year:
    "Of the assistants, only Foster and Stinespring have formal contracts. The other seven assistant coaches have a standard university letters of appointment for two years at a time. Their appointments run through June 30, 2014. If any were to be terminated, they would simply be paid their salary through the end of the appointment. - See more at: http://blogs.roanoke.com/andybitterv....W5HAJfE6.dpuf
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    did you look at the database? he may not be Big Lots cheap but he certainly isn't progressive like you're implying (if i understand you correctly). Foster is the best defensive coordinator in the ACC. arguably the country. He is the 3rd highest paid assistant (salary) in the ACC. After Foster, UVA has 3 assistants before the next VT assistant (stinespring). i get that it's not 100% on beamer. it's a departmental thing but he's involved and just as accountable. i forgot, he "walks on water"

all i'm saying is that when these new coaches continue to show their skills at VT, we are going to have a very very difficult time keeping them on staff when the likes of LSU, Georgia, etc come knocking. It'll take a significant modification to our athletic department ethos to keep those guys around.
    So basically the Stinespring money needs to get spread around to the productive coaches, right?

I don't understand why Stiney is still on the staff. Homie doesn't buy the "essential recruiter" crap excuse. If Frank loves Stiney so much, why isn't he paying him out of his own salary? If we're losing the war for assistant salaries, why do we continue to pay "dead wood?" That's on Frank! Pretty clear he still values "friendship" over "job performance."
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

'07 national champions typed by ben's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Pretty clear he still values "friendship" over "job performance."
    for some people that is pretty important. he might be thinking "in my final moments, will i be glad i cut him loose and wrecked our friendship", supposing thats the reason he has not elected to cut CBS loose. theres plenty to be said about not hiring friends or family, yet here we are.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by 133697Hokie View Post
    My father went to VT. My uncle went to VT. My brother-in-law went to VT. I went to VT. My son went to VT. I saw my first VT game in 1962. Can you top that? First time in my life anybody's ever called me a Hoo.

Quote Originally Posted by typed by ben View Post
    for some people that is pretty important. he might be thinking "in my final moments, will i be glad i cut him loose and wrecked our friendship", supposing thats the reason he has not elected to cut CBS loose. theres plenty to be said about not hiring friends or family, yet here we are.
    Sometimes the hiring comes before the friendship. Then what?
    They're the worst!

'07 national champions typed by ben's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 48zip View Post
    Sometimes the hiring comes before the friendship. Then what?
    its a head scratcher for sure. but its also supposing the fact that CBS is not productive, not a good TE coach, that CBS is eating up all the staff salary allowance, that frank wants to turn CBS loose but wont on account of their friendship.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by 133697Hokie View Post
    My father went to VT. My uncle went to VT. My brother-in-law went to VT. I went to VT. My son went to VT. I saw my first VT game in 1962. Can you top that? First time in my life anybody's ever called me a Hoo.

its a head scratcher for sure. but its also supposing the fact that CBS is not productive, not a good TE coach, that CBS is eating up all the staff salary allowance, that frank wants to turn CBS loose but wont on account of their friendship.
    I suspect CFB can pay the others what they deserve. CBS is being paid in part for his tenure at VT. I wouldn't say he's a bad TE coach. He can't make them fit into an offensive game plan, but his players look pretty good. Finally, I'm OK with friendship influencing things. Our problems are much bigger than CFB. He's one of the most dedicated employees we have at VT. Is he worth his pay? No, but I can say that for a lot of people at VT, both in sports and education.
    They're the worst!

In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    I love how people say things like "CBS is not productive, not a good TE coach" etc without really knowing how to judge such things. Do you think a "not good TE coach" could really take a last minute recruit who had only a single year of high school experience and turn him into a serviceable TE his true freshman year in college. Also, I think Andre Smith would disagree with your assessment of "not a good TE coach".....

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    So basically the Stinespring money needs to get spread around to the productive coaches, right?
    you'd hear no complaint from me...

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman
    I don't understand why Stiney is still on the staff. Homie doesn't buy the "essential recruiter" crap excuse. If Frank loves Stiney so much, why isn't he paying him out of his own salary? If we're losing the war for assistant salaries, why do we continue to pay "dead wood?" That's on Frank! Pretty clear he still values "friendship" over "job performance."
    because he's an elite recruiter! bwahahaha
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    interesting yes. surprising? hell no (imo). compared to upper level programs, our assistant coaches and coordinators (except foster) make chicken feed and peanuts. try not to shake your head when you look at the salaries VT pays in comparison to other ACC schools...especially UVA. this is one of the many reasons why i think we have a long way to go before i consider VT a "big time" program. it is truly amazing we've been this successful. good bang for our buck though and that could be to Beamer's credit. or maybe it's pure luck? probably both.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...aaf/assistant/

if loeffler, grimes and moorehead put together a good year in 2014, VT is absolutely going to have to pony up or they are gone. you can probably throw torrian gray in that group too.
    If you include what Loeffler and Grimes were paid by Auburn this year, we're not even 10% behind UVa.

And we're only about 10% behind FSU, who seems to be doing ok in football lately.

http://blogs.roanoke.com/andybitterv...oday-database/

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    If you include what Loeffler and Grimes were paid by Auburn this year, we're not even 10% behind UVa.

And about 10% behind FSU, who seems to be doing ok in football lately.

http://blogs.roanoke.com/andybitterv...oday-database/
    i didn't because we aren't paying them that. when auburn's subsidy expires in june, then i will.

here's the question. how can Beamer and the VT athletic department claim that a national championship is our goal when we rank 6th in the ACC in assistant salaries? this is what has people frustrated.

i'm sorry but when "we're not even 10% behind UVa" is rationalization for where we stand in salaries...you've lost me.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.