Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

LSU inquiring about Grimes?

That would be a big blow. Not sure how the asst coaches contracts work. Believe we would have to agree to let him go? Interesting that they paid their previous OL coach twice what he makes here

We need to pay him whatever it takes to keep him.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer74 View Post
    That would be a big blow. Not sure how the asst coaches contracts work. Believe we would have to agree to let him go? Interesting that they paid their previous OL coach twice what he makes here
    Does that include what he's also getting from Auburn?

But this is really great, when is the last time another school was interested in someone on our offensive staff?

I really hope that we don't lose him. Give the guy a raise.

Other names mentioned: former Tampa Bay assistant Bob Bostad, McNeese State's Rob Sale, former LSU lineman and NFL player Kevin Mawae, Ravens o-line coach Andy Moeller and Ravens assistant o-line coach Todd Washington. Washington played at Virginia Tech in the mid-'90s.

and Brady Taylor received an offer from OSU and will visit the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer74 View Post
    Interesting that they paid their previous OL coach twice what he makes here
    interesting yes. surprising? hell no (imo). compared to upper level programs, our assistant coaches and coordinators (except foster) make chicken feed and peanuts. try not to shake your head when you look at the salaries VT pays in comparison to other ACC schools...especially UVA. this is one of the many reasons why i think we have a long way to go before i consider VT a "big time" program. it is truly amazing we've been this successful. good bang for our buck though and that could be to Beamer's credit. or maybe it's pure luck? probably both.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...aaf/assistant/

if loeffler, grimes and moorehead put together a good year in 2014, VT is absolutely going to have to pony up or they are gone. you can probably throw torrian gray in that group too.
    Last edited by vthokiedsp; Mon Jan 13 2014 at 09:02 AM.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

I don't think so. Auburn is essentially playing part of the salary for both Grimes and Loeffler in severance. Both os their salaries are scheduled to increase dramatically once there severance packages run out.

Quote Originally Posted by VT Genes View Post
    I don't think so. Auburn is essentially playing part of the salary for both Grimes and Loeffler in severance. Both os their salaries are scheduled to increase dramatically once there severance packages run out.
    this is true but if you look at the salaries VT is paying, and what the big boys pay...VT will not be able to keep these coaches if the wolves come knocking. VT's new AD and Beamer are going to have to open their wallets if they want to keep coaches of this caliber.

ps there is no threaded overlay anymore so we can't tell who you are responding to unless you reply with quote.
    Last edited by vthokiedsp; Mon Jan 13 2014 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    this is true but if you look at the salaries VT is paying, and what the big boys pay...VT will not be able to keep these coaches if the wolves come knocking. VT's new AD and Beamer are going to have to open their wallets if they want to keep coaches of this caliber.
    Beamer has never been cheap on Assistant salaries - that's the reason he almost left VT for UNC. It's the constraints from those in higher places.

Quote Originally Posted by VTChip View Post
    Beamer has never been cheap on Assistant salaries - that's the reason he almost left VT for UNC. It's the constraints from those in higher places.
    did you look at the database? he may not be Big Lots cheap but he certainly isn't progressive like you're implying (if i understand you correctly). Foster is the best defensive coordinator in the ACC. arguably the country. He is the 3rd highest paid assistant (salary) in the ACC. After Foster, UVA has 3 assistants before the next VT assistant (stinespring). i get that it's not 100% on beamer. it's a departmental thing but he's involved and just as accountable. i forgot, he "walks on water"

all i'm saying is that when these new coaches continue to show their skills at VT, we are going to have a very very difficult time keeping them on staff when the likes of LSU, Georgia, etc come knocking. It'll take a significant modification to our athletic department ethos to keep those guys around.
    Last edited by vthokiedsp; Mon Jan 13 2014 at 11:18 AM.