Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43
  1. #21
    BUGGZY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15, 2002
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    13,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    Yeah, I'm cool with only protecting the games that need to be protected. And there needs to be some agreement in in the conference about what really needs protected vs. what one or two schools might want. For example, UVa-UNC is the oldest rivalry in the south. And the whole conference should be proud of that and want to protect it.

    Side note: I understand the concept of trying to get the two best teams to play in the title game. But I don't think it is realistic. In my view, the 49ers and the Seahawks are the two best teams in the NFL right now, but it isn't essential that both play in Super Bowl. I say balance the divisions with geography and quality of programs and let the chips fall where they may. In my view, FSU and Clemson should NOT be in the same division. And that's not just because they've been the best two teams over the last two years, but because they are the two best programs, holistically speaking.
    well, if we went with the 14 team format i showed, i'm not sure i would want divisions. there are 2 ways to form divisions (both need 1 crossover for at least 2 teams):

    7 VA+Caroina Schools - everyone else

    North/South split

    neither of those layouts is popular because of a combination of perception, travel, and the fact that divisions still keep the league divided with teams not seeing each other very often. i would LOVE the former, but i could see why others wouldn't want it. The below is an example, but you could also eliminate all but the Clemson-GT crossover (ala the B1G with Indiana-Purdue) to maximize rotation:

    uva - FSU
    VT - Miami
    UNC -Pitt
    dook - cuse
    NCSU -L'ville
    Wake - BC
    Clemson - GT (must protect)
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

  2. #22

    Join Date
    October 14, 2003
    Posts
    10,282
    Along those lines, I'd support Old vs. New ACC (new being FSU and expansion teams beyond). In that case, the only game that would need protected is VT-UVa.

    It gives competitive balance of having Clemson and FSU in separate division....and protects most rivalries while also a tip of the cap to tradition, which has been lost in all this expansionpalooza.
    Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    well, if we went with the 14 team format i showed, i'm not sure i would want divisions. there are 2 ways to form divisions (both need 1 crossover for at least 2 teams):

    7 VA+Caroina Schools - everyone else

    North/South split

    neither of those layouts is popular because of a combination of perception, travel, and the fact that divisions still keep the league divided with teams not seeing each other very often. i would LOVE the former, but i could see why others wouldn't want it. The below is an example, but you could also eliminate all but the Clemson-GT crossover (ala the B1G with Indiana-Purdue) to maximize rotation:

    uva - FSU
    VT - Miami
    UNC -Pitt
    dook - cuse
    NCSU -L'ville
    Wake - BC
    Clemson - GT (must protect)

  3. #23
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Jessup View Post
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ualifying-redo

    He wants the NCAA to waive its requirement to have division winners play in the conference championship. He would like the two best teams to play. The conference would end up doing away with the divisions if it were to the be the best two teams, I believe. What a great thing that would be. Play two rivals every year and play the 7 of the other 11 teams each year (which is roughly 2 times every three years). There is no reason for Duke and Virginia Tech to play every year, for example, while hardly ever playing so many teams under the current format.

    My cut at rivals below. UNC-UVA and NCSU-Clemson are lost but there had to be some sacrifices. However, playing 64% of the time ain't bad.
    Miami - FSU, VT
    FSU - Miami, Clemson
    GT - Clemson, UVA
    Clemson - FSU, GT
    NCSU - UNC, Wake
    UNC - NCSU, Duke
    Duke - UNC, Wake
    Wake - Duke, NCSU
    VT - UVA, Miami
    UVA - VT, GT
    Pitt - Syracuse, Louisville
    Louisville - Pitt, BC
    BC - Syracuse, Louisville
    Syracuse - BC, Pitt
    Sometimes......... I think these 3 guys are running the ACC...and that concerns me.


  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    August 07, 2013
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Sometimes......... I think these 3 guys are running the ACC...and that concerns me.

    I like it because their is 2 ND Alums in that picture.
    Last edited by goldendomer; Sun Jan 12 2014 at 08:25 AM.

  5. #25
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    I like it because their is 2 ND Alums in that picture.
    That statement further solidifies my post. John Swofford (UNC grad and ACC commissioner) + Bubba Cunningham (Notre Dame grad and UNC AD) + Jack Swarbrick (Notre Dame AD and grad) = concern

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    August 07, 2013
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    That statement further solidifies my post. John Swofford (UNC grad and ACC commissioner) + Bubba Cunningham (Notre Dame grad and UNC AD) + Jack Swarbrick (Notre Dame AD and grad) = concern
    Bubba was our Associate AD between 1995-2000. He worked(Various positions) at ND between 1988-2002.

    I don't think that their is some devious plan afoot though.
    Last edited by goldendomer; Sat Jan 11 2014 at 09:51 PM.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    February 16, 2001
    Posts
    14,845
    First of all I love the fact that you post here even though we see some not all things differently. Getting the ND alum perspective is fascinating as the top tier of college football (considered an aircraft carrier--hard to turn) is changing right before our eyes at a record pace. Second, the other posters here as I have said before, really think about their answers mainly with strategy and not just tactics in mind. If there is another College Football Board like it...I have not found it.

    So now to the article. First of all the main theme of the article is to let the conferences have control of who gets to the Championship Game. Let me write that again, the vote is for "the conferences to decide who gets to the Championship Game"...details can be worked out by the conferences latter. That means they can do it any way they want to do it. Right now you have to have even divisions and the winner of each has to go. However, he says he wants to hold on to the divisions and just have a few games in the divisions. What? Then some of you said well each team has about 3 really strong rivals that they need to play. What did you just describe?

    Hello, and it pains me to use the word, Pods. Since the division language in the NCAA is tied up right now into two and not four I will be forced to use that name. You just described the four pods. Assume there are at least 4 teams in them, but as I have said before, I think they eventually go to 5 teams per Pod. (No reason to debate this, it is a very minor point...and don't miss the forest for a tree.)

    So now you have the champion of the two Pods in a division playing each other for the division championship (Sound like the NFL playoffs?). This IMHO probably will be at the highest ranked teams home field. (SOS will matter...so lot's of good regular season match ups, sound familiar?) Got it?

    Finally, is ND involved in this? No doubt. First of all they can still have their national rivalry games since even if they played their Pod and another Pod they would still have 4-5 games left. You say however, but what about the NBC contract for ND? Anyone else wonder why there is such a love fest for the SEC when CBS has their bigger football games? Did you listen to Brent Musberger describe the National Championship game? I mean FSU out scored Auburn 31-10 from the end of the second quarter on. How many times did they mention that?

    You say, but the ACC has an exclusive contract with ESPN and the SEC doesn't even get their top game every week in football. Exactly! Any attorney will tell you that you always have out clauses in every contract of this magnitude. Are they talked about? No, but actions speak way louder than words. ND and NBC problem solved...if you get my drift?

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    Yes

    I say that with zero evidence. I would not be shocked if something happened like that...
    Last edited by Stech; Sun Jan 12 2014 at 08:53 AM.

  8. #28
    Femoyer Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20, 2003
    Location
    Glen Allen, VA
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    First of all I love the fact that you post here even though we see some not all things differently. Getting the ND alum perspective is fascinating as the top tier of college football (considered an aircraft carrier--hard to turn) is changing right before our eyes at a record pace. Second, the other posters here as I have said before, really think about their answers mainly with strategy and not just tactics in mind. If there is another College Football Board like it...I have not found it.

    So now to the article. First of all the main theme of the article is to let the conferences have control of who gets to the Championship Game. Let me write that again, the vote is for "the conferences to decide who gets to the Championship Game"...details can be worked out by the conferences latter. That means they can do it any way they want to do it. Right now you have to have even divisions and the winner of each has to go. However, he says he wants to hold on to the divisions and just have a few games in the divisions. What? Then some of you said well each team has about 3 really strong rivals that they need to play. What did you just describe?

    Hello, and it pains me to use the word, Pods. Since the division language in the NCAA is tied up right now into two and not four I will be forced to use that name. You just described the four pods. Assume there are at least 4 teams in them, but as I have said before, I think they eventually go to 5 teams per Pod. (No reason to debate this, it is a very minor point...and don't miss the forest for a tree.)

    So now you have the champion of the two Pods in a division playing each other for the division championship (Sound like the NFL playoffs?). This IMHO probably will be at the highest ranked teams home field. (SOS will matter...so lot's of good regular season match ups, sound familiar?) Got it?

    Finally, is ND involved in this? No doubt. First of all they can still have their national rivalry games since even if they played their Pod and another Pod they would still have 4-5 games left. You say however, but what about the NBC contract for ND? Anyone else wonder why there is such a love fest for the SEC when CBS has their bigger football games? Did you listen to Brent Musberger describe the National Championship game? I mean FSU out scored Auburn 31-10 from the end of the second quarter on. How many times did they mention that?

    You say, but the ACC has an exclusive contract with ESPN and the SEC doesn't even get their top game every week in football. Exactly! Any attorney will tell you that you always have out clauses in every contract of this magnitude. Are they talked about? No, but actions speak way louder than words. ND and NBC problem solved...if you get my drift?
    Would the proposed NCAA rule change allow for a semifinal pod playoff game which is an extra game? In other words, will the NCAA allow a 12 game regular season schedule PLUS two more games to determine a conference champ?

  9. #29

    Join Date
    February 16, 2001
    Posts
    14,845
    If this is passed the conferences can set up what they want to get to the conference championship. If you read the article a couple of times Swofford is all over the place with what they might do...get the autonomy to do what they want and yes they will be able to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    Would the proposed NCAA rule change allow for a semifinal pod playoff game which is an extra game? In other words, will the NCAA allow a 12 game regular season schedule PLUS two more games to determine a conference champ?

  10. #30
    Femoyer Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20, 2003
    Location
    Glen Allen, VA
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    If this is passed the conferences can set up what they want to get to the conference championship. If you read the article a couple of times Swofford is all over the place with what they might do...get the autonomy to do what they want and yes they will be able to do it.
    Follow up. Would we want this extra playoff game if the other conferences don't go that route? I doubt the coaches would.

    Having said that. Flexibility is good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •