Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Reposting my comments from a discussion on the chat board -- I'm not so sure it's a good idea. For example ...

One year we may have a 12-0 FSU and an 11-1 Clemson. If the ACC puts the two of them into the championship game instead of a 10-2 Virginia Tech, all of a sudden you might have an 11-1 Clemson that's in line to get a spot in the playoffs no longer in line to get a spot in the playoffs.

True, that can easily happen with the divisional setup as well. But why set it up so you're guaranteed that one of your top two teams is getting a loss going into the playoff selection?

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Hokie 95 View Post
    Reposting my comments from a discussion on the chat board -- I'm not so sure it's a good idea. For example ...

One year we may have a 12-0 FSU and an 11-1 Clemson. If the ACC puts the two of them into the championship game instead of a 10-2 Virginia Tech, all of a sudden you might have an 11-1 Clemson that's in line to get a spot in the playoffs no longer in line to get a spot in the playoffs.

True, that can easily happen with the divisional setup as well. But why set it up so you're guaranteed that one of your top two teams is getting a loss going into the playoff selection?
    The much more likely scenario is the 1 or 2 loss ACC team needing another big win to get a playoff spot.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    I do it to protect the one team who should have 3 protected games (UNC) should always play uva, dook and NCSU. the 3rd game could be used to create schedule balance (through geography or SOS), though that's not what i did below. This is my 3 team format:

VT - uva, Miami, L'ville
    uva - VT, unc, FSU
    UNC - uva, dook, NCSU
    dook - unc, wake, 'cuse
    NCSU - unc, Clemson, wake
    wake - dook, BC, NCSU
    Clemson - NCSU, GT, Pitt
    FSU - Miami, GT, uva
    GT - Clemson, FSU, L'ville
    Miami - FSU, VT, BC
    BC - 'cuse, Wake, Miami
    'cuse - BC, Pitt, dook
    Pitt - 'cuse, L'ville, Clemson
    L'ville - Pitt, VT, GT
    Can Tech replace Louisville with NC State or Clemson in your format?

ACC brass hasn't "thought it all the way through?" Ya don't say!

BTW, protecting 3 rivals is mostly needed due to UNC. UVa, NCSt, and Duke can and should play UNC every year. But I'd say you don't need three rivals for all schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Jessup View Post
    I just assume he hadn't thought it all of the way through in discussing keeping the divisions. Bad assumption, I know.

Why would you protect three instead of two? That third rival would be pretty shaky in many cases (unless you really put the recent Big East Teams on an island by doing Louisville-Syracuse and Pitt-BC) and take away from the homogenous play-everyone-often feel of playing everyone else roughly two times out of three years instead of playing most of the league roughly once every two years.

Here's my three (not the top 3 for each school, but hey, not everyone can be rivals with UNC)

SCHOOL--Rival 1, Rival 2, Rival 3
    Boston College--Syracuse, Miami, Pitt
    Clemson--GT, FSU, Wake
    Duke--Wake, Louisville, UNC
    Florida State--Miami, Clemson, Louisville
    Georgia Tech--Clemson, Wake, NCSt
    Louisville--Pitt, Duke, FSU
    Miami--FSU, BC, VT
    North Carolina--UVa, NCSt, Duke
    North Carolina St.--VT, UNC, GT
    Pittsburgh--Louisville, Syracuse, BC
    Syracuse--BC, Pitt, UVa
    Virginia--UNC, VT, Syracuse
    Virginia Tech--NCSt, UVa, Miami
    Wake Forest--Duke, GT, Clemson

I do it to protect the one team who should have 3 protected games (UNC) should always play uva, dook and NCSU. the 3rd game could be used to create schedule balance (through geography or SOS), though that's not what i did below. This is my 3 team format:

VT - uva, Miami, L'ville
    uva - VT, unc, FSU
    UNC - uva, dook, NCSU
    dook - unc, wake, 'cuse
    NCSU - unc, Clemson, wake
    wake - dook, BC, NCSU
    Clemson - NCSU, GT, Pitt
    FSU - Miami, GT, uva
    GT - Clemson, FSU, L'ville
    Miami - FSU, VT, BC
    BC - 'cuse, Wake, Miami
    'cuse - BC, Pitt, dook
    Pitt - 'cuse, L'ville, Clemson
    L'ville - Pitt, VT, GT

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    Here's my three (not the top 3 for each school, but hey, not everyone can be rivals with UNC)

SCHOOL--Rival 1, Rival 2, Rival 3
    Boston College--Syracuse, Miami, Pitt
    Clemson--GT, FSU, Wake
    Duke--Wake, Louisville, UNC
    Florida State--Miami, Clemson, Louisville
    Georgia Tech--Clemson, Wake, NCSt
    Louisville--Pitt, Duke, FSU
    Miami--FSU, BC, VT
    North Carolina--UVa, NCSt, Duke
    North Carolina St.--VT, UNC, GT
    Pittsburgh--Louisville, Syracuse, BC
    Syracuse--BC, Pitt, UVa
    Virginia--UNC, VT, Syracuse
    Virginia Tech--NCSt, UVa, Miami
    Wake Forest--Duke, GT, Clemson
    it's good, but you can't break up NCSU and Clemson. Clemson has 2 games they have to play, GT and NCSU. Also, all of the NC schools should play 2 of each other:

Duke: UNC and Wake
    UNC: Dook and NCSU
    Wake: NCSU and Dook
    NCSU: UNC and Wake
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

I would be fine with ND joining for 7 games, but not be required to play crossovers. If ND goes 7-0, they are in. Just, as you said, count crossover games as winning percentage. If ND is 5-2 and VT is 7-2, then VT goes to the ACCCG. If ND is 6-1 and VT 7-2, then ND goes. Done.

I wanted to do this for ND when the ACC was at 12 (add them and, say, Syracuse or Pitt). Then it would only require 6 games from ND. Too late now I guess.
    i don't think we would "GIVE" anything to ND, but i don't disagree with the premise. i could see "Total conference wins" as the first decider with % as the tie breaker, so in a weak year, if FSU is 9-0 and the next best team is 5-4, ND could get in if they were 5-0. this would be a carrot to get ND up to 6 or possibly even 7 ACC games. 5-0 would be a long shot, but 7-0...?

just throwing it out there, obviously nothing to base this on.

In that case, I'd easily trade NC State to Clemson for FSU. But keep in mind that Clemson also has USCe, and aren't they one of the teams wanting to stay at 8 games because of this? They can't have their cake and eat it too. They can't can't have NCSt, GT, and FSU and also want to stay at 8 games. I've heard that Clemson and FSU want to continue their series, but I might be wrong.

Again, I'd take FSU over NC State as one of our 3 rivals any day of the week. But won't people resent our advantages of playing in Florida every year if we have both Miami and FSU (along with UVa)?
    it's good, but you can't break up NCSU and Clemson. Clemson has 2 games they have to play, GT and NCSU. Also, all of the NC schools should play 2 of each other:

Duke: UNC and Wake
    UNC: Dook and NCSU
    Wake: NCSU and Dook
    NCSU: UNC and Wake

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    In that case, I'd easily trade NC State to Clemson for FSU. But keep in mind that Clemson also has USCe, and aren't they one of the teams wanting to stay at 8 games because of this? They can't have their cake and eat it too. They can't can't have NCSt, GT, and FSU and also want to stay at 8 games. I've heard that Clemson and FSU want to continue their series, but I might be wrong.

Again, I'd take FSU over NC State as one of our 3 rivals any day of the week. But won't people resent our advantages of playing in Florida every year if we have both Miami and FSU (along with UVa)?
    this is why i think they would ultimately only "protect" 3 rivalry games for UNC and NCSU and 2 for everyone else. the 3rd game would be used for competitive and geographic balance. maybe something like this:

UNC: NCSU, Dook, uva
    NCSU: UNC, Clemson, Wake
    Dook: NCSU, Wake - GT
    uva: UNC, VT - Pitt
    Wake: Dook, NCSU - VT
    VT: uva, Miami - Wake
    Miami: VT, FSU - BC
    FSU: Miami, GT - 'Cuse
    GT: Clemson, FSU - Dook
    Clemson: GT, NCSU - L'ville
    L'ville: Pitt, BC - Clemson
    Pitt: L'ville, 'Cuse - uva
    BC: 'Cuse, L'ville - Miami
    'Cuse: BC, Pitt - FSU

tries to spread the schedule out a little for those with 2 close rivals and for those with 2 hard or easy rivals they get a 3rd from the opposite side of the spectrum. it's not perfect, but i gave it a go....
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Yeah, I'm cool with only protecting the games that need to be protected. And there needs to be some agreement in in the conference about what really needs protected vs. what one or two schools might want. For example, UVa-UNC is the oldest rivalry in the south. And the whole conference should be proud of that and want to protect it.

Side note: I understand the concept of trying to get the two best teams to play in the title game. But I don't think it is realistic. In my view, the 49ers and the Seahawks are the two best teams in the NFL right now, but it isn't essential that both play in Super Bowl. I say balance the divisions with geography and quality of programs and let the chips fall where they may. In my view, FSU and Clemson should NOT be in the same division. And that's not just because they've been the best two teams over the last two years, but because they are the two best programs, holistically speaking.
    this is why i think they would ultimately only "protect" 3 rivalry games for UNC and NCSU and 2 for everyone else. the 3rd game would be used for competitive and geographic balance. maybe something like this:

UNC: NCSU, Dook, uva
    NCSU: UNC, Clemson, Wake
    Dook: NCSU, Wake - GT
    uva: UNC, VT - Pitt
    Wake: Dook, NCSU - VT
    VT: uva, Miami - Wake
    Miami: VT, FSU - BC
    FSU: Miami, GT - 'Cuse
    GT: Clemson, FSU - Dook
    Clemson: GT, NCSU - L'ville
    L'ville: Pitt, BC - Clemson
    Pitt: L'ville, 'Cuse - uva
    BC: 'Cuse, L'ville - Miami
    'Cuse: BC, Pitt - FSU

tries to spread the schedule out a little for those with 2 close rivals and for those with 2 hard or easy rivals they get a 3rd from the opposite side of the spectrum. it's not perfect, but i gave it a go....