Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by JoesterVT View Post
    no it's all legal, it just seems a little sketchy. There was an episode of "between the lines" or some similar show a while back that *I think* even featured some of our guys. The show focused on one particular loophole which may (or may not) have been closed since. You get a bunch of guys living together, banking their ample individual housing allowance. Several guys living together can easily cover the rent, and each pockets their extra money. This alone provides each player with a decent chunk of pocket money. The amount of extra money gets even bigger when the group of players all qualify for subsidized housing based on their families financial situation. So it goes like this. Lets say each guy gets an $800 housing allowance. 4 of them live together in a subsidized apartment that costs $400 a month. Each player nets 700 bucks of pocket money for the month. This last angle is the loophole that may have been closed. I haven't seen anything about that in several years.
    ah, hadn't thought of the subsidized housing angle.

Quote Originally Posted by JoesterVT View Post
    nothing stops "regular" students from doing the same though...I guess I thought "legit" had something to do with them being athletes

The per deims they get when they travel and even play at home also add up.

Here's a CT article from a couple years ago written by a VT football player:

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/sport...454a2ef68.html
    thanks for the link...I remember reading that when it came out...excellent picture of why athletes don't "need" stipends

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    ah, hadn't thought of the subsidized housing angle.

thanks for the link...I remember reading that when it came out...excellent picture of why athletes don't "need" stipends
    I had forgotten that they can get the Pell grant on top of their scholarship. That's gonna apply to ALOT of our guys as well.