Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kingofcassell View Post
    I'm tired of people complaining about his hit on LT3. He hit him in the chin with the top of his helmet. It was literally 2 inches from being an absolute clean shot.
    What was he supposed to do, take out LT3's knees? Not to mention it was the play after LT3 just trucked their LB. So zumwalt had to either hit or be hit...hammer or nail.

The dude just hits people. We're upset cause he knocked LT3 out. But we would love him if he was on our team.
    The dude just uses his helmet as a weapon to hit people...fixed it for you...and no, not everyone loved Jimmy Williams or Aaron Rouse...and that was BEFORE there was a specific rule. If you're tired of us talking about it because its in the past fine, but don't defend it

just my opinion but i dont see much difference between these two hits, except that we celebrate jarretts hit and call zumwalts dirty...
    I think we cringe and wait for the flag on Jarrett's hit. It's also a hit on a ball carrier in full flight. Zumwalt specifically targeted Logan's chin for the hit with his helmet. And Logan was stationary and could be considered defenseless as he released the ball.
    Last edited by TomTurkey; Sat Jan 11 2014 at 11:56 AM.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

I talked to an Oregon football fan in my office about the hit and he agrees that Zumwalt is a dirty player. Per the article below, Zumwalt made all these hand gestures after big hits during the Oregon game. The Jarrett hit looks different since Jarret's shoulder hit the Pitt receiver first. The receiver also had the ball when he was hit by Jarrett. LT had released the ball before Zumwalt's hit and he wasn't trying to wrap up LT. Instead of wrapping up LT, he just targeted his chin. I wouldn't want a guy like that playing for Tech.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/oct...regon-20131028

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...eam/?eref=sihp

You know, it really does show how hypocritical the media can be when they whine like babies over the head injuries to players in some cases, but when you have a guy playing over the line like Zumwalt has apparently done his whole career, and showcased it as insultingly frequent with head shot after head shot in the Sun Bowl, and you do nothing but shower him with praise and recognition for it... The complaints just lose all their bite.
    I thought it was a good hard hit like our players use hit in the old days before we got so soft. What joke there is about this player and his hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    You are not alone. That's why that picture needs to be posted everytime one of these fine posters tells us how great/clean/fantastic that hit was...
    I don't think it was a clean hit per se, but I don't think it was that bad. I mean, he was flagged for it wasn't he? It seems like it was what it was: a violation that resulted in a penalty. If it was the NFL he probably would be fined, but not suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheking View Post
    I don't think it was a clean hit per se, but I don't think it was that bad. I mean, he was flagged for it wasn't he? It seems like it was what it was: a violation that resulted in a penalty. If it was the NFL he probably would be fined, but not suspended.
    He would have been flagged for hitting after the whistle or out of bounds. This was a deliberate, malicious shot to the jaw to make sure he didn't make a run like he'd just done. There was no intent to tackle Logan but to punish him and eliminate him from further play. Not sure they knew they'd get the latter, but he was definitely paying him back and sending a message.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

just my opinion but i dont see much difference between these two hits, except that we celebrate jarretts hit and call zumwalts dirty...

Just my opinion, the difference:

Zumwalt led with his helmet. Jarrett led with his shoulder.
    Thomas no longer had the ball. The Pitt receiver still had the ball.
    Zumwalt raised up to make his hit. Jarrett was lowering his body to make the hit.

Even with that, I felt that Jarrett hit was borderline. The Zumwalt hit? Not even close to borderline. And, as others have said, there is a HUGE area south of the chin and north of the knees to hit. It wasn't one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Snape View Post
    I can NOT believe the number of posters on the boards who continue to defend that chin shot on Logan by Zumwalt.
    You must be new. A lot of people on here hate Logan, for whatever reason. With everything he did for our program I don't understand the hate he receives. I really hope he never reads this crap.

I don't think anyone on here hates Logan besides maybe the uva fans reading. LT3 was one of the toughest players we've ever had...a gladiator.
    Now some people might think he wasn't an effective QB and should have been playing TE... but that wasn't his call, that was the coaches.

He did everything that the coaches asked of him and also beat uva 3 times.
    He's going to be one heck of a player in the NFL. QB or TE, I think he could play either.

Quote Originally Posted by Snape View Post
    I can NOT believe the number of posters on the boards who continue to defend that chin shot on Logan by Zumwalt.

Neither can I. The photo evidence is clear. I don't think anyone here has said that Zumwalt is not a good player. He is a dirty player, at least in the Sun Bowl. And no, since the rules have changed, we don't celebrate when one of our players does it.