Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Zumwalt rewarded with one of SI's All-Bowl selection

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...eam/?eref=sihp

You know, it really does show how hypocritical the media can be when they whine like babies over the head injuries to players in some cases, but when you have a guy playing over the line like Zumwalt has apparently done his whole career, and showcased it as insultingly frequent with head shot after head shot in the Sun Bowl, and you do nothing but shower him with praise and recognition for it... The complaints just lose all their bite.
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

He was a little dirty in the Sun Bowl, but he was an absolute beast.

Honestly, he deserved to be on the All-Bowl team.

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheking View Post
    He was a little dirty in the Sun Bowl, but he was an absolute beast.

Honestly, he deserved to be on the All-Bowl team.
    He did a good job of knocking our QB out of the game with a blatant cheap shot. Guess that should be considered playing like "an absolute beast." I'm glad you're happy for him...I would take a whiz on him if he was on fire.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

I'm tired of people complaining about his hit on LT3. He hit him in the chin with the top of his helmet. It was literally 2 inches from being an absolute clean shot.
    What was he supposed to do, take out LT3's knees? Not to mention it was the play after LT3 just trucked their LB. So zumwalt had to either hit or be hit...hammer or nail.

The dude just hits people. We're upset cause he knocked LT3 out. But we would love him if he was on our team.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    He did a good job of knocking our QB out of the game with a blatant cheap shot. Guess that should be considered playing like "an absolute beast." I'm glad you're happy for him...I would take a whiz on him if he was on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofcassell View Post
    I'm tired of people complaining about his hit on LT3. He hit him in the chin with the top of his helmet. It was literally 2 inches from being an absolute clean shot.
    making it not an absolute clean shot? I think that's what people are complaining about.

What was he supposed to do, take out LT3's knees?
    are LT3's knees 2" from his chin now?

Not to mention it was the play after LT3 just trucked their LB.
    with hit that no one has questioned

So zumwalt had to either hit or be hit...hammer or nail.
    LT was passing...in fact, had already let go of the ball when he got hit...that in no way shape or form was a "hit or be hit" situation

If the hit was 2" lower it would have been a clean shot.

Instead of hitting him in the chin he could have went for his knees? But then you woulda called that dirty

If the hit was 2" lower it would have been a clean shot.

Instead of hitting him in the chin he could have went for his knees? But then you woulda called that dirty
    how exactly are chin and knees the only 2 options? Dude is 6'5"...and he just threw a pass so it's not like he's coming at Zumwalt head on, crouched over...I think there's a fair amount of real estate to hit and hit hard that no one would call dirty...had he simply run "through" LT instead of launching up toward his chin, it'd be a different story

of course, that's putting aside the late hit angle too...

How would he know lt3 was gonna pass and not pump fake?
    It's football bro. Sometimes you're the hammer. Sometimes you're the nail.

This dude wouldn't be getting all this pub if it was as blatant dirty cheap shot as you're saying. .

He missed hitting Logan in the chest by 2"

I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree

This dude wouldn't be getting all this pub if it was as blatant dirty cheap shot as you're saying. .

You're right, it was a clean hit. See how he wraps his arms around LT before delivering the blow to LT's body? Oh snap, he didn't attempt to deliver a "clean blow." He tucks his arms around himself as he delivers the crown of his helmet under LT's jaw. Looking at his feat, you can see him launch himself upward to deliver the blow.

My goodness, how soon we forget...
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

I'm not ready to go "blatant dirty cheap," but it's not clearly "clean" either (by your own admission).

One way to know if LT was gonna pass and not pump fake might be to actually keep your eyes on him instead of driving the top of your helmet into his chin.

Any one element of the hit taken individually doesn't seem bad...throw them all together (after the throw, crown of helmet to chin, launching himself upward) and I wonder...

I agree it was close.

To say his only other option was to go for the knees is just being silly, bro.