Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    I don't know. It's crazy to think that people would be that blinded but just think about how some people on here rallied the troops to support Beamer's continuance of offensive futility. Walking on water may be too strong of a term for some, but there are a lot of people who think he's earned the right to do whatever he wants without question from "non-true hokies" and will defend him no matter what.
    I agree with this. I don't know any of those people in "real life" but there are definitely those people on TSL, HokieHaven, 247, and Scout who literally have said that Beamer has earned the right to do whatever he wants, and they'll disparage people as not true Hokies for disagreeing with that, as if supporting Beamer were synonymous with supporting Virginia Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ was Broke View Post
    I agree with this. I don't know any of those people in "real life" but there are definitely those people on TSL, HokieHaven, 247, and Scout who literally have said that Beamer has earned the right to do whatever he wants, and they'll disparage people as not true Hokies for disagreeing with that, as if supporting Beamer were synonymous with supporting Virginia Tech.
    It is synonymous. Didn't you get the "memo" that spells out the "requirements" to be a "true Hokie?"

Quote Originally Posted by NokieHokie View Post
    "He walks on water here. The team could go 1-10, and no one would question him. They would question his assistant coaches, the players, the administration, and even the fan base, before they would question him."
    I may have overstated things for dramatic effect.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Quote Originally Posted by JoesterVT View Post
    Well of course, I can't imagine any serious D1 school would keep a coach after a 10 loss season...
    Just UVa apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by hokie_n_savannah View Post
    Just UVa apparently.
    Well that is because they are more proud that the football team has 100% graduation rate (all anthropology majors) than what happens on the grid iron.

That quote pretty much nailed how its gone done... the few die hards who insist on no criticism of CFB are finally down to now blaming the fans....

"He walks on water here. The team could go 1-10, and no one would question him. They would question his assistant coaches, the players, the administration, and even the fan base, before they would question him."

Pretty funny and spot on.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-- C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    I may have overstated things for dramatic effect.
    No, I think reading these boards it held true.

I don't recall that quote and don't believe that would be the case. Frank was allowed to right the program and has a great run. A reference to 1-10 has to be some form of hyperbole on Will's part (I thought the quote was Finebaum's) because it's not true and everyone knows it. And it makes even less sense if it followed the MNC game. The whole thread is a waste of time because it has no semblance of today's reality. What Frank has done is more than probably any other coach who would even take the job could have done. I can say that because he's probably the only coach of his caliber that would take the job. But we don't really know.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

Will was trying to get Finebaum to understand the culture and it makes TOTAL sense in the wake of the MNC run... CFB had a ton of good will built up at that time (still does, relatively speaking). Yes it was hyperbole but it had a point.

Quote Originally Posted by TomTurkey View Post
    I don't recall that quote and don't believe that would be the case. Frank was allowed to right the program and has a great run. A reference to 1-10 has to be some form of hyperbole on Will's part (I thought the quote was Finebaum's) because it's not true and everyone knows it. And it makes even less sense if it followed the MNC game. The whole thread is a waste of time because it has no semblance of today's reality. What Frank has done is more than probably any other coach who would even take the job could have done. I can say that because he's probably the only coach of his caliber that would take the job. But we don't really know.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-- C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TomTurkey View Post
    It's Will's quote, it's in the article whether you recall it or not.

http://archive.techsideline.com/tsle...1/article8.htm