Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Personally, I do not believe it is healthy either. However, on the flipside it raises questions about how much "loyalty" everyone has towards the current staff and current state of the program. Heck it may even infringe upon it which may or may necessarily be a bad thing. Can someone remain loyal to a coaching staff and still question it? If so, then were is that imaginary line that separates a person from being loyal to unloyal?
    I kinda thought through that with the Paterno (even before the scandal) and decided that doesn't make sense, he's getting paid commensurate with his success so to some extent the books are balanced, it's not like anyone owes him anything, he got paid a lot of money.

Bowden basically got fired, they just (tried) to find a nice way of doing it, but he got eased out over his wanting to coach "one more year." I would think the situation is different than when Will had the conversation with Finebaum. Beamer had a lot of good will, now he's one of the higher paid coaches but with much less good will saved up.
    For 26 laps back in the spring of 1960, he was BEHIND me, right there in my rearview mirror, that red, white and blue STP: James Massey (characterized in a song by Wild Ponies)

Quote Originally Posted by 'lag View Post
    I kinda thought through that with the Paterno (even before the scandal) and decided that doesn't make sense, he's getting paid commensurate with his success so to some extent the books are balanced, it's not like anyone owes him anything, he got paid a lot of money.

Bowden basically got fired, they just (tried) to find a nice way of doing it, but he got eased out over his wanting to coach "one more year." I would think the situation is different than when Will had the conversation with Finebaum. Beamer had a lot of good will, now he's one of the higher paid coaches but with much less good will saved up.
    Poker analogy:

Beamer was the chip leader after winning a few huge pots. Now, he's taken a few bad beats, played a few bad hands, and has been blinded down.

Quote Originally Posted by NokieHokie View Post
    "He walks on water here. The team could go 1-10, and no one would question him. They would question his assistant coaches, the players, the administration, and even the fan base, before they would question him."

Pretty funny and spot on.
    Guys, read AV's response and link to Will's article. It was written on 11/20/2000.
    I don't think the same situation applies today from 13 years ago when we had just played for NC and other schools were after him.
    There is already a lot of grumbling going on with 2 8 win seasons....imagine if we did go 1 - 10. I'm sure even he would say it was time to go.....

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer74 View Post
    Guys, read AV's response and link to Will's article. It was written on 11/20/2000.
    I don't think the same situation applies today from 13 years ago when we had just played for NC and other schools were after him.
    There is already a lot of grumbling going on with 2 8 win seasons....imagine if we did go 1 - 10. I'm sure even he would say it was time to go.....
    I realize when the comment was made, which is why I was taking a more general approach to the question. However WRT VT, was it even "healthy" back then for the fan base to have that mindset? It is even possible that there are a few people who had that mindset back then and could/would (not sure which is the right word here) have that mindset today even if Beamer were to go 0-12. I do not believe it would be as many as it would have been back then. However, if the person happens to be a Top 20 donor, then I am not sure it really makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I realize when the comment was made, which is why I was taking a more general approach to the question. However WRT VT, was it even "healthy" back then for the fan base to have that mindset? It is even possible that there are a few people who had that mindset back then and could/would (not sure which is the right word here) have that mindset today even if Beamer were to go 0-12. I do not believe it would be as many as it would have been back then. However, if the person happens to be a Top 20 donor, then I am not sure it really makes a difference.

Beamer is very well-regarding at Virginia Tech as he should be, but nobody thinks he walks on water. He's been marvelous for Tech football. But even the most blinded loyalist understands that there are limits. There are the bowl losses. The losses to top five teams. Beamer deserves a respectful exit. I thing the way things ended for Paterno, Bowden, now Mack Brown are all examples that these guys are gifted football coaches. But they are human, and when the gig is up, its time to go. If Tech were to have a 2-10 season, the demand for a new coach would have him out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie1992 View Post
    Beamer is very well-regarding at Virginia Tech as he should be, but nobody thinks he walks on water. He's been marvelous for Tech football. But even the most blinded loyalist understands that there are limits. There are the bowl losses. The losses to top five teams. Beamer deserves a respectful exit. I thing the way things ended for Paterno, Bowden, now Mack Brown are all examples that these guys are gifted football coaches. But they are human, and when the gig is up, its time to go. If Tech were to have a 2-10 season, the demand for a new coach would have him out the door.
    Well of course, I can't imagine any serious D1 school would keep a coach after a 10 loss season...

You may be right. I don't know who the Top 20 donors are personally nor have I seen any public statements they have made on the matter. So I didn't want to assume (1 way or another) what their position would be (assuming VT football was ever in that situation). Hence I am open-minded to all possibilities until I have some imperical evidence to rely upon.

As far as the blind loyalist go, I do have 1 example that would dispute your statement. I have a co-worker, who would qualify as a blind loyalist, that believes Beamer does walk on water (aka can do nothing wrong). When you ask him to explain why VT lost a bowl game or why VT lost to a Top 10 team during the regular season or why a play didn't go right in a game (i.e. the fake punt in the Sugar Bowl), then he will give you reasons that essentially place any blame on everyone but Beamer. He is also the type of person that would run through a brick wall if Beamer asked him to do it. Now I realize that is only 1 example. However, given the size of the school, the alumni base, and fan base; I suspect he is not the only person who has that view of Beamer (maybe not the running through the wall part).

nobody thinks he walks on water.
    I don't know. It's crazy to think that people would be that blinded but just think about how some people on here rallied the troops to support Beamer's continuance of offensive futility. Walking on water may be too strong of a term for some, but there are a lot of people who think he's earned the right to do whatever he wants without question from "non-true hokies" and will defend him no matter what.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    I don't know. It's crazy to think that people would be that blinded but just think about how some people on here rallied the troops to support Beamer's continuance of offensive futility. Walking on water may be too strong of a term for some, but there are a lot of people who think he's earned the right to do whatever he wants without question from "non-true hokies" and will defend him no matter what.
    Bingo!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by public knowledge View Post
    I must not be a "they" I like coach Beamer and think he has done great things for the school. However, I have questioned his special teams coaching, his play calling in big games, and the offense he let go for so many years.
    I must be "they", too. I don't know any Hokies (alumni) personally who aren't questioning Beamer. Maybe Will is talking about the donors, which may be true.

Edit: appears to be an old quote from an old article
    Last edited by TJ was Broke; Thu Jan 09 2014 at 06:04 PM.