Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52
  1. #1

    Interesting quote about Beamer from Will's call with Finebaum...

    "He walks on water here. The team could go 1-10, and no one would question him. They would question his assistant coaches, the players, the administration, and even the fan base, before they would question him."


    Pretty funny and spot on.

  2. #2
    I must not be a "they" I like coach Beamer and think he has done great things for the school. However, I have questioned his special teams coaching, his play calling in big games, and the offense he let go for so many years.
    --Public Knowledge, Football expert

  3. #3

    Join Date
    October 21, 2005
    Posts
    22,994
    Quote Originally Posted by public knowledge View Post
    I must not be a "they" I like coach Beamer and think he has done great things for the school. However, I have questioned his special teams coaching, his play calling in big games, and the offense he let go for so many years.
    Yeah...I don't think that's an accurate statement. If anything, I've been a little surprised by the number of people calling for his job the last couple of seasons...definitely WAY more than "no one"....

  4. #4
    Melbourne Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 01, 2005
    Location
    In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    Posts
    43,158
    Quote Originally Posted by public knowledge View Post
    I must not be a "they" I like coach Beamer and think he has done great things for the school. However, I have questioned his special teams coaching, his play calling in big games, and the offense he let go for so many years.
    Isn't that quote from 13 years ago right after Beamer played for a national Championship?

  5. #5
    avhokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    24,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    Isn't that quote from 13 years ago right after Beamer played for a national Championship?
    Yes

    http://archive.techsideline.com/tsle...1/article8.htm
    When replying to a specific post, use Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by NokieHokie View Post
    "He walks on water here. The team could go 1-10, and no one would question him. They would question his assistant coaches, the players, the administration, and even the fan base, before they would question him."


    Pretty funny and spot on.
    Is it "healthy" for a program to allow itself to get to that state where a head coach (or even an assistant coach) has complete trust from everyone and it takes years (maybe even decades) before anyone questions him/her?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Is it "healthy" for a program to allow itself to get to that state where a head coach (or even an assistant coach) has complete trust from everyone and it takes years (maybe even decades) before anyone questions him/her?
    IMO heck no.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by NokieHokie View Post
    IMO heck no.
    Personally, I do not believe it is healthy either. However, on the flipside it raises questions about how much "loyalty" everyone has towards the current staff and current state of the program. Heck it may even infringe upon it which may or may necessarily be a bad thing. Can someone remain loyal to a coaching staff and still question it? If so, then were is that imaginary line that separates a person from being loyal to unloyal?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Location
    Blacksburg
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Is it "healthy" for a program to allow itself to get to that state where a head coach (or even an assistant coach) has complete trust from everyone and it takes years (maybe even decades) before anyone questions him/her?
    Are the fans more loyal to winning or to Beamer?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    Are the fans more loyal to winning or to Beamer?
    Excellent question. My only answer would be "depends." The portion of the fan base that was around pre-Beamer may be slightly more loyal to him because the reference point (aka the bar) they are using is much lower. For the portion of the fan base post-Beamer, then I would say they are more loyal to "winning" and the number of victories the team averages per year. If Beamer only averaged 7-9 victories per year then I do not believe there would be as much of a "demand" to increase the average to 10-12 per year compared to if he averaged 10-12 victories per year.

    If I was going to do an experiment on the relationship between the two, then I would say there is a greater chance that everyone would be more trusting of a coach when there is a positive change (maybe even significant positive change) from the reference point than if there is a negative change. In this particular case the there seems to be two different reference points depending on which group the person is classified under (especially when talking about when VT has fewer victories than the previous season). If the person is a "Beamer supporter," then that individual will tend to reference a point in time prior to his arrival. If the person is a "Beamer questioner," then that individual will tend to reference a point in time within his regime.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •