Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My LONG take on Hokie's respect: We don't want to be WVU, but don't turn us into UVA.

That is the scale. "Refined, culturally elite pansies", dainty as a flower, or "unrefined, borderline criminals" with substance abuse problems. I don't know about you, but I'd like to avoid both. So where are we on this scale? To put it in 'TECH'nical terms, (UVA+WVU)/2 = VT. When you average out the insanity, there is a perfect balance.

The Hokie respect campaign is a good idea in principle, but if you take too much of the "fan experience" and excitement out of the game, before you know it we're all wearing ties and crying in our Zima after the games. We can do that from home in front of the TV (and it looks like we've started doing just that). You have to let people be fans and not just spectators. >90% of the fans are respectful anyway. I don't know about you, but I don't want to sing songs and hug after TDs. It might wrinkle my sweater vest. Please Mr new A.D., don't let this continue. We don't want to be proud of our cricket trophies.

On the other side of the spectrum, without any guidance from the administration, Blacksburg could turn into Morgantown. Anybody ever been to a game in Morgantown? I did, 4 times in the 90s. It was insane what you'd see then, compared to what VT would have allowed, and that was pre-Hokie respect. I remember seeing forty-year old guys walking around, inside the gates, with open beer cans. VT was searching and patting people down with big coats at every game, and at least forcing a few students to attempt to sneak in their booze. WVU didn't even try. Then they let all the students leave and go to the parking lot to drink more during half time. The ones who could walk might come back in the third quarter. Then people wonder why there's yelling, cussing, spitting, threatening...and that's just to their own team. They throw batteries and endanger opposing fans, throw trash cans at opposing coaches, not to mention burning couches....
    So what does the administration do? The only thing reasonable thing. If your not going to enforce your alcohol policy, just get rid of it and start selling alcohol! Now let's be real, when you go to WVU, 65,000 people aren't trying to kill you. About 1000 are, and that's enough that you don't notice the other "respectful" 64,000. As I said before, more than 90% of the VT fans are respectful anyway, and WVU is probably no different I'm sure. I'm sure most are decent folks out to support their team (well, PROBABLY). It's the small percentage allowed to go unchecked that helps bring down the masses to their level. They make more and more fans see their behavior as acceptable.

SOME level of control of fan behavior is necessary, surely we can all agree. I don't want any opposing fan to feel threatened at Lane stadium. I want him to feel humiliated watching his team play. I want everybody to be very friendly as they feel sorry for the guy who's team is getting whipped. So keeping the over the top taunting, threatening type behavior, as well as keeping the B.A.C. levels within reason should be the job and focus of the Lane staff. Stopping people from singing "nah nah nah, goodbye" and "stick it in" should not be. And "sit down, you suck" was my favorite part of basketball in the 90s. We couldn't win (thanks Ricky-Bobby), so the least we could do was give the opposing team a hard time. That's what fans are supposed to do. Make them not focus on the game. Not make them fear for their life or injure them. An A.D. has to know the difference. One method leads to a lot of losing and lack of dedication from the fan base. The other leads travelling to opponents 1000 miles away when realignment happens. There is a place in between the "intellectual" fan and the "barbaric" fan. It's called normal. We don't want to be WVU, so don't turn us in to UVA.

There are going to be idiots at every stadium. There is nothing you can do to stop it. I might be biased, but I have always thought that VT fans were great. They cheer for their team, but show respect to opposing fans. Sure there might be an idiot here and there, but a huge majority of people know how to act.

The thing I never liked about Hokie Respect was that I felt like I was being told what to do. I'm an adult, and I don't need to be told to respect the team, respect the opposition, etc. etc. It reminded me of when my parents would bring the entire family to a friend's house for dinner. "Kids, be on your best behavior tonight..."

Not to mention, I thought it was kind of a buzz (not alcohol buzz...excitement buzz) kill.

The main talking point about Hokies Respect on the Chat board has evolved to "this is not a Jim Weaver thing, the NCAA and ACC are requiring it"...

Well.... ok.... I mean, sure the NCAA and ACC are asking for an increased focus on sportsmanship at venues, but Hokies Respect has taken that mindset and completely taken it to the extreme to the point where its not about having fans that are taught to do the right thing and take pride in it, its now being told what to do and threatened if they don't. Hokies Respect has almost taken the idea of sportsmanship and created a bit of a militaristic "everybody must conform to these set of rules and never venture outside of them or question them". The fact we have an AD that censors decades old traditions in the band for the sake of Hokies Respect, it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

I have been to every single football away game in NC and at least one basketball away game in the state in every venue since we joined the ACC. Not once in any stadium I have visited did I see any of the home teams promote an agenda like we are doing in regards to fan behavior. This includes the ACC Tournaments that I went to in numerous years in Greensboro and the 2010 ACC Championship Game in Charlotte. There's a mention of reporting unruly patrons to the ushers, and a reminder to not curse, but thats it. The bands are not limited on what they can play, there is no prepared pregame speech telling us all how to act, there are not numerous video promos throughout games telling everyone how to act.

Weaver took this simple direction from the NCAA of "hey, lets have the fans act better" and took it as a mandate to expand his authority over the fans to mold us into the perfect citizens he wanted. It very much comes across as if the one cranky neighbor in the community who constantly complains about the little details of everyone else's yard to the HOA somehow manages to become the head of the HOA board and gets to dictate all the rules and regulations. Its not a way to run things. Whoever the new AD is HAS GOT to cut back on this Hokies Respect venture. It simply has gone too far.
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

I think the Hokies Respect concept is fine, but the implementation needs to change.

Go ahead and promote it with some signage around the stadium, ads in athletic department publications, and a periodic message (not a video, just some stuff to be read) on the jumbotron, but don't have someone read a script on how we're supposed to act before each game. Make the promotion less active, more passive.

We've been beat over the head with it enough, they can still have the program but back it down some.

Weaver took 1 or 2 negative emails or calls and took to the extreme to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    Weaver took 1 or 2 negative emails or calls and took to the extreme to handle it.
    sounds awfully familiar to the excuse for no home thursday night games....
    Last edited by vthokiedsp; Thu Jan 09 2014 at 11:17 AM.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    I think the Hokies Respect concept is fine, but the implementation needs to change.

Go ahead and promote it with some signage around the stadium, ads in athletic department publications, and a periodic message (not a video, just some stuff to be read) on the jumbotron, but don't have someone read a script on how we're supposed to act before each game. Make the promotion less active, more passive.
    I agree with you that the concept is fine. As for the implementation of it, I would "stick it in" with the other failed/knee jerk decisions made by the former AD.

Quote Originally Posted by vatechcowpatty View Post
    That is the scale. "Refined, culturally elite pansies", dainty as a flower, or "unrefined, borderline criminals" with substance abuse problems. I don't know about you, but I'd like to avoid both. So where are we on this scale? To put it in 'TECH'nical terms, (UVA+WVU)/2 = VT. When you average out the insanity, there is a perfect balance.

The Hokie respect campaign is a good idea in principle, but if you take too much of the "fan experience" and excitement out of the game, before you know it we're all wearing ties and crying in our Zima after the games. We can do that from home in front of the TV (and it looks like we've started doing just that). You have to let people be fans and not just spectators. >90% of the fans are respectful anyway. I don't know about you, but I don't want to sing songs and hug after TDs. It might wrinkle my sweater vest. Please Mr new A.D., don't let this continue. We don't want to be proud of our cricket trophies.

On the other side of the spectrum, without any guidance from the administration, Blacksburg could turn into Morgantown. Anybody ever been to a game in Morgantown? I did, 4 times in the 90s. It was insane what you'd see then, compared to what VT would have allowed, and that was pre-Hokie respect. I remember seeing forty-year old guys walking around, inside the gates, with open beer cans. VT was searching and patting people down with big coats at every game, and at least forcing a few students to attempt to sneak in their booze. WVU didn't even try. Then they let all the students leave and go to the parking lot to drink more during half time. The ones who could walk might come back in the third quarter. Then people wonder why there's yelling, cussing, spitting, threatening...and that's just to their own team. They throw batteries and endanger opposing fans, throw trash cans at opposing coaches, not to mention burning couches....
    So what does the administration do? The only thing reasonable thing. If your not going to enforce your alcohol policy, just get rid of it and start selling alcohol! Now let's be real, when you go to WVU, 65,000 people aren't trying to kill you. About 1000 are, and that's enough that you don't notice the other "respectful" 64,000. As I said before, more than 90% of the VT fans are respectful anyway, and WVU is probably no different I'm sure. I'm sure most are decent folks out to support their team (well, PROBABLY). It's the small percentage allowed to go unchecked that helps bring down the masses to their level. They make more and more fans see their behavior as acceptable.

SOME level of control of fan behavior is necessary, surely we can all agree. I don't want any opposing fan to feel threatened at Lane stadium. I want him to feel humiliated watching his team play. I want everybody to be very friendly as they feel sorry for the guy who's team is getting whipped. So keeping the over the top taunting, threatening type behavior, as well as keeping the B.A.C. levels within reason should be the job and focus of the Lane staff. Stopping people from singing "nah nah nah, goodbye" and "stick it in" should not be. And "sit down, you suck" was my favorite part of basketball in the 90s. We couldn't win (thanks Ricky-Bobby), so the least we could do was give the opposing team a hard time. That's what fans are supposed to do. Make them not focus on the game. Not make them fear for their life or injure them. An A.D. has to know the difference. One method leads to a lot of losing and lack of dedication from the fan base. The other leads travelling to opponents 1000 miles away when realignment happens. There is a place in between the "intellectual" fan and the "barbaric" fan. It's called normal. We don't want to be WVU, so don't turn us in to UVA.
    I agree with everything you said there, except for the "sit down, you suck" comment. I always thought that was more than a little bit low-rent.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    I agree with everything you said there, except for the "sit down, you suck" comment. I always thought that was more than a little bit low-rent.
    I would consider that comment as being the category of sports heckling. Some other examples of sports heckling would be calling refs blind, chanting/sing Steam's song (Na Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye) at the end of game where your team is going to be the winner, singing/play "Hit The Road Jack" when a player fouls out, giving the opposing team directions on how to get home at the end of game they are going to lose (i.e. 81-North, 64-East), and poking fun of the opposing team's starting line up as the PA announcer announces it. Would you consider sports heckling (in general) as being low-rent? If so, then are you suggesting it should be removed from what is consider "acceptable behavior" in sports culture. The reason I ask is because just about all fan bases (i.e. Cameron Crazies) tell an opposing player that comment when he fouls out of a game. So it would appear that is acceptable behavior (at least for the students).

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I would consider that comment as being the category of sports heckling. Some other examples of sports heckling would be calling refs blind, chanting/sing Steam's song (Na Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye) at the end of game where your team is going to be the winner, singing/play "Hit The Road Jack" when a player fouls out, giving the opposing team directions on how to get home at the end of game they are going to lose (i.e. 81-North, 64-East), and poking fun of the opposing team's starting line up as the PA announcer announces it. Would you consider sports heckling (in general) as being low-rent? If so, then are you suggesting it should be removed from what is consider "acceptable behavior" in sports culture. The reason I ask is because just about all fan bases (i.e. Cameron Crazies) tell an opposing player that comment when he fouls out of a game. So it would appear that is acceptable behavior (at least for the students).
    I have no problem with good-natured heckling (81-North, 64-East, that's pretty awesome right there). I guess I'm just an old fogey because I draw the line on "good-natured heckling" somewhere south of "You suck!".
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.