Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hey all of you in the "well all schools do it. We shouldn't throw stones" crowd. Read this then get back to me http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/12/...n-the-unc.html
    Does VT athletes and administration do all of this too? According to some of you sheep Duke, Notre Dame and Stanford are guilty of all of these activities as well.

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    Nobody knows. The problem is that the number should be zero. Anyone reading at that level shouldn't be admitted to start with.
    But what if they're rain man with numbers. Great computer programmers...engineers...etc. Ability to "test well" on a standardized test is not a 100% effective way to say how intelligent or capable someone is. I know many who don't test well ever but have very intellectual heads on their shoulders. I'm not saying all of our football players are rocket scientists, but many successful businessmen I know are successful because of work ethic, tenacity, people skills, etc. Many athletes also have these same traits and go on to be great citizens inside and outside of our communities. Some don't. To put our noses in the air about "can or can't read at xxx level" based on standardized tests is the wrong way to look at these young men in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by moonda View Post
    Where did I say we were squeaky clean? Don't lump us in with unc. They are our generation's SMU. Simple question......Do you think 70%, or greater, of our football and basketball players can't read above an 8th grade level?
    If only 69 percent of VT's football and basketball players can read at an 8th grade level or better, that's still very poor. It should be 100 percent. I would bet at least 70 percent of VT's current football and basketball players would be denied admission to VT if they didn't have full rides offered to them.

UNC - Chaĥel Hill

UNC - Chaĥel Hill - I'll just put this here.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    And believe me when I say they would actually have advances learning compared to some of the football players I encountered when I was at Tech.
    We're not 100% clean. This is from a LONG time ago, late 80s, either Dooley's last year or Beamer's first. A bunch of folks on my hall all signed up for a Sociology class. There were several, mostly taught in McBryde 100. There were index numbers from the course catalog. One of us got a really weird sociology class, while the rest of us, our index numbers were like in the 1000s or 2000s (not to be confused with the course number, like SOC1001), one guy got a class with an index number in the 9000s. It wasn't taught in McBryde 100. It was taught at what was Animal Science, now Litton-Reaves. He reported that it was 90% football and basketball players. Was he put there by mistake? Did they feel they HAD to add a few non-jocks to allegedly make the class legitimate? We'd compare notes between all our sections, and that guy had a class that was light-years easier than ours. Same class, different section, yet somehow, the material was different.

So, while I don't know that there are special classes (are or were) for VT athletes, there appeared to be some special sections set up for them, either by difficulty, time, or class location (or all three)

Quote Originally Posted by teaysvalleyhokie View Post
    We're not 100% clean. This is from a LONG time ago, late 80s, either Dooley's last year or Beamer's first. A bunch of folks on my hall all signed up for a Sociology class. There were several, mostly taught in McBryde 100. There were index numbers from the course catalog. One of us got a really weird sociology class, while the rest of us, our index numbers were like in the 1000s or 2000s (not to be confused with the course number, like SOC1001), one guy got a class with an index number in the 9000s. It wasn't taught in McBryde 100. It was taught at what was Animal Science, now Litton-Reaves. He reported that it was 90% football and basketball players. Was he put there by mistake? Did they feel they HAD to add a few non-jocks to allegedly make the class legitimate? We'd compare notes between all our sections, and that guy had a class that was light-years easier than ours. Same class, different section, yet somehow, the material was different.

So, while I don't know that there are special classes (are or were) for VT athletes, there appeared to be some special sections set up for them, either by difficulty, time, or class location (or all three)
    Well at least they met and were learning something.

I like how some people on this board are deflecting this to VT. We'll take down our Final 4 banners and stop claiming public ivy when UNC does.

Quote Originally Posted by JoesterVT View Post
    In Va., all H.S. students have to pass a requisite number of SOL tests, and must pass the English 11 test, which consists of both reading and writing (grammer and a short paper). You can't pass those tests if you can't read, period. Whats the workaround then?
    I don't teach in VA, but I'm willing to bet that you are incorrect. If you are labeled as ESE - which usually means that you had a 'professional' say that you have a learning deficiency in some subject - then by law you are only obligated to show learning gains in a given year to be promoted. Again, I'm talking from Florida experience, but I'd be willing to be that is fairly standard across the board currently (it would give me hope honestly if I was wrong in this). Even with the required tests, many students at my area high schools are able to opt out because there is NO WAY that they could pass any of those tests...but they're labeled ESE.

So in short, it's NOT athletes that are passed on regardless - though I'm sure that that happens - it's more of an issue with students that are either ESE or ELL (English Learners of other Languages) get passed regardless of their ability or often their effort level, and the bigger issue is that a lot of those students imho shouldn't have ever made it through Middle School, let along High School. In Florida, something like 60% of High School graduates have to take at least 3-4 remediation math classes (Pre-Algebra) before being able to take freshman level math courses in college. That's 8th grade math. Teaching is depression sometimes....
    Last edited by BahamaHokie; Mon Jan 13 2014 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BahamaHokie View Post
    I don't teach in VA, but I'm willing to bet that you are incorrect. If you are labeled as ESE - which usually means that you had a 'professional' say that you have a learning deficiency in some subject - then by law you are only obligated to show learning gains in a given year to be promoted. Again, I'm talking from Florida experience, but I'd be willing to be that is fairly standard across the board currently (it would give me hope honestly if I was wrong in this). Even with the required tests, many students at my area high schools are able to opt out because there is NO WAY that they could pass any of those tests...but they're labeled ESE.

So in short, it's NOT athletes that are passed on regardless - though I'm sure that that happens - it's more of an issue with students that are either ESE or ELL (English Learners of other Languages) get passed regardless of their ability or often their effort level, and the bigger issue is that a lot of those students imho shouldn't have ever made it through Middle School, let along High School. In Florida, something like 60% of High School graduates have to take at least 3-4 remediation math classes (Pre-Algebra) before being able to take freshman level math courses in college. That's 8th grade math. Teaching is depression sometimes....
    i love living in florida but your post is why so many people call it "floriduh". ugh.

anyone else find it humorous that the word grammar was misspelled in a post about meeting reading/writing requirements?
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by JRHokie View Post
    UNC's response to this goes beyond simple denial and stonewalling. It's like watching Iraq's information minister while American tanks were rolling into Baghdad. It's really amazing to watch.

The enrollments of the earliest known no-show classes could provide clues as to how the scandal started. He said he had not been focused on finding that out and was not aware that The N&O was seeking that information.

“I appreciate the suggestion, and it sounds like something maybe we ought to take a look at,” Dean said.

The N&O has been pressing the university’s chancellor, legal and communications staff for this information for several months.
    Last edited by Hokie de NC; Mon Jan 13 2014 at 11:50 AM.