Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by moonda View Post
    Where did I say we were squeaky clean? Don't lump us in with unc. They are our generation's SMU. Simple question......Do you think 70%, or greater, of our football and basketball players can't read above an 8th grade level?
    I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. And I'd suspect it'd be true for many, if not most, high-profile athletic programs at the majority of schools throughout the nation, no matter what the division.

I'll be the first to say I've had some outstanding student-athletes in my classes at A&M, VT, and my current D-III school. And I've had ones who gave me pause about admissions standards. The latter, unfortunately, outnumber the former, especially in high-profile programs (football and wrestling at my current institution).

How do they then pass academically? Well, at the D-I level, there are all these tutors, employees of the athletic departments, whose job is to ensure they "succeed" academically. And some of those definitely cut corners, as we have seen. At D-III schools, however, they just limp along until they flunk out.

Quote Originally Posted by moonda View Post
    Where did I say we were squeaky clean? Don't lump us in with unc. They are our generation's SMU. Simple question......Do you think 70%, or greater, of our football and basketball players can't read above an 8th grade level?
    Nobody knows. The problem is that the number should be zero. Anyone reading at that level shouldn't be admitted to start with.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    Nobody knows. The problem is that the number should be zero. Anyone reading at that level shouldn't be admitted to start with.
    They shouldn't be allowed to graduate High School for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosnowahokie View Post
    That's the truth.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    That's the truth.
    and there's where the problem starts. Kids are passed on to the next grade because they are good athletes and the teacher's are pressured to keep them eligible, until lo and behold, they are given a diploma.
    s

Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    and there's where the problem starts. Kids are passed on to the next grade because they are good athletes and the teacher's are pressured to keep them eligible, until lo and behold, they are given a diploma.
    s
    In Va., all H.S. students have to pass a requisite number of SOL tests, and must pass the English 11 test, which consists of both reading and writing (grammer and a short paper). You can't pass those tests if you can't read, period. Whats the workaround then?

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    After dealing with some of our athletes (especially on the football team) in group projects in various classes when I was at Tech, believe me when I say we have absolutely no room at all to throw stones in this matter.
    I agree. I bet you can find student athletes like that at Duke and Notre Dame too. Some universities are more guilty of it than others.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosnowahokie View Post
    I attended a high school where half the students graduated with an 8th grade reading level (or lower). Some of the kids couldn't even spell the name of the county they lived in. I watched teachers give special attention (after school tutoring) to students who needed passing grades and SAT scores in order to qualify academically to Division 1 athletic programs. Most qualified but still had 8th grade reading levels or lower. It's been like that forever.

Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    s
    All my teacher friends are fond of pointing out this phenomenon...

Cast off the shoes and follow the gourd!

How in the world does someone meet the NCAA requirements if they can't read or write? Doesn't that mean they cheated on their SATs/ACTs or are the minimum scores extremely low?