Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

The cheating at uncheat is beyond comprehension LINK

After dealing with some of our athletes (especially on the football team) in group projects in various classes when I was at Tech, believe me when I say we have absolutely no room at all to throw stones in this matter.
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

Read the story. 70% of unc football and basketball players between 2004-2012 can't read above an eighth grade level

Quote Originally Posted by moonda View Post
    Read the story. 70% of unc football and basketball players between 2004-2012 can't read above an eighth grade level
    That doesn't change anything. They wrote the story about UNC, but it could have been written about a whole lot of schools.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by moonda View Post
    And believe me when I say they would actually have advances learning compared to some of the football players I encountered when I was at Tech.
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

At least 18 players, in that timeframe, reads below a 3rd grade level. That means they can barely make out SEE SPOT RUN

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    That doesn't change anything. They wrote the story about UNC, but it could have been written about a whole lot of schools.
    But it was the "holier than thou" UNC that got caught blatantly cheating with cash, and academic fraud. They deserve everything that's coming back to them now!
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post

I disagree. I firmly believe over 30% of our football and basketball athletes can read above an 8th grade level. I'm sure we have some that fall below that mark but its not 70%.

Mildly illiterate players? Asking (and having it be the understood expectation) for tutors to complete papers and assignments for players? Having athletic advisers pressure professors and TA's into raising athletes grades? Oh, we are completely as guilty as the next guy at all of the above. I have personally seen it all happen. We have absolutely zero room to cast stones.

What we don't do (as far as we're aware) is have fake classes for athletes to take in order to keep up their GPAs. That is where UNC crossed the industry standard line and got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. But if you think we're squeaky clean, you just better hope nobody decides to do an in-depth investigation of our school.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Mildly illiterate players? Asking (and having it be the understood expectation) for tutors to complete papers and assignments for players? Having athletic advisers pressure professors and TA's into raising athletes grades? Oh, we are completely as guilty as the next guy at all of the above. I have personally seen it all happen. We have absolutely zero room to cast stones.

What we don't do (as far as we're aware) is have fake classes for athletes to take in order to keep up their GPAs. That is where UNC crossed the industry standard line and got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. But if you think we're squeaky clean, you just better hope nobody decides to do an in-depth investigation of our school.
    Where did I say we were squeaky clean? Don't lump us in with unc. They are our generation's SMU. Simple question......Do you think 70%, or greater, of our football and basketball players can't read above an 8th grade level?