Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 107
  1. #21

    Join Date
    October 21, 2005
    Posts
    22,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    I know quite a few Florida alumni. Their opinion that Strong never got a head coaching opportunity in the SEC was because he was a black coach with a white wife.
    Turner Gill doesn't disagree.....

  2. #22

    Join Date
    November 12, 1999
    Posts
    919
    My wife is a UF grad. and that is what she heard as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    I know quite a few Florida alumni. Their opinion that Strong never got a head coaching opportunity in the SEC was because he was a black coach with a white wife.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 18, 2013
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by BMoreHokie View Post
    It is the same reason that he was never considered for the Florida head coaching position when it was open.
    You mean because Florida could get Urban Meyer and win national championships?

  4. #24

    Join Date
    February 03, 2005
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    It is not ridiculous at all. If he thought Strong wasn't a good enough head coach for Texas he could have said that. But reading between the lines of what he said was that he didn't believe that he was a capable head coach at all, despite that obviously not being factually so.

    We may wish that racism really didn't exist but it does and just isn't as overt as when I was growing up. It is very easy to see some of it given the speaker and where he is from.
    People like you throwing out the race card and looking for racism when it isn't there contributes to race problems. There is nothing in that article that indicates racism. You've "read between the lines" something that isn't there because of your own personal biases and issues. You shouldn't accuse someone of racism "reading between the lines." It is a serious accusation and should be treated as such.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 18, 2013
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Benhokio View Post
    People like you throwing out the race card and looking for racism when it isn't there contributes to race problems. There is nothing in that article that indicates racism. You've "read between the lines" something that isn't there because of your own personal biases and issues. You shouldn't accuse someone of racism "reading between the lines." It is a serious accusation and should be treated as such.
    This.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 11, 2005
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by Benhokio View Post
    People like you throwing out the race card and looking for racism when it isn't there contributes to race problems.
    Oh? It isn't there? That's just an obvious fact? Nothing racial here, people, move along. Good thing we have you here to tell us what is and what isn't.

    You know what else contributes to race problems? Rich, entitled, white men who go on the radio and criticise the hiring of extremely well-qualified black men by saying they aren't qualified to do the job they have already excelled at.

    As others have pointed out, if he simply criticised the hire, no one would have batted an eye. But to say Strong is only qualified to be a position coach or assistant coach is an extremely curious thing, and it certainly raised my eyebrows.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    February 03, 2005
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetheking View Post
    Oh? It isn't there? That's just an obvious fact? Nothing racial here, people, move along. Good thing we have you here to tell us what is and what isn't.

    You know what else contributes to race problems? Rich, entitled, white men who go on the radio and criticise the hiring of extremely well-qualified black men by saying they aren't qualified to do the job they have already excelled at.

    As others have pointed out, if he simply criticised the hire, no one would have batted an eye. But to say Strong is only qualified to be a position coach or assistant coach is an extremely curious thing, and it certainly raised my eyebrows.
    He said Strong isn't qualified to be the head coach at Texas. Saying he's qualified to be a coordinator or position coach at Texas isn't racist. It's an arrogant booster's sense of the program's status. He's using hyperbole to express how badly he hates the hire. I happen to agree with him about Strong.

  8. #28
    It was a very Al Campanis like quote.

    He left enough grey area that you can't definitively say it was a racist comment, but you can also read between the lines that it could be. How could you say a successful D1 BCS league level head coach might make a good position coach? Not a coordinator...a position coach??

  9. #29
    Go VT's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    4,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    I know quite a few Florida alumni. Their opinion that Strong never got a head coaching opportunity in the SEC was because he was a black coach with a white wife.
    well...i guess he does know where the white women are at!

    actually...i don't care about stuff like that and didn't even know that until now...as long as he recruits players who can play, graduate, and keep on the right side of the law (as much as possible with each of them)... I will be happy.

    Personally I hope Strong fails at Texas. Nothing against him...I just hate Texas and want them to suck at everything.
    Cast off the shoes and follow the gourd!

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 11, 2005
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by Benhokio View Post
    He said Strong isn't qualified to be the head coach at Texas. Saying he's qualified to be a coordinator or position coach at Texas isn't racist. It's an arrogant booster's sense of the program's status. He's using hyperbole to express how badly he hates the hire. I happen to agree with him about Strong.
    I'm not saying it IS definitely a racist comment. And I'm not saying that criticizing the hire is outlandish. My main point is that to defend the comment outright (or, I admit, to condemn the comment outright) is to assume that we knew what McCombs meant.

    Now, I seriously doubt that he is overtly suggesting that a black man can't be a head coach. But to say he's only qualified to be a position coach, or maybe a coordinator is unnecessarily insulting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •