Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JoesterVT View Post
    So wait, you're suggesting an 86 year old white man from Texas might have some deep seated prejudices from a bygone era? Well color me shocked...
    What in that article suggests his gripe has anything to do with race? Put away your race card and jump-to-conclusions mat.

I think it is a weak hire. What has Strong really done at Louisville? He has a QB that could be the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft and couldn't navigate his cake schedule or win the AAC/Big East this year. That victory over Florida looks pretty average after what Florida did this year. Strong may turn out to be great but it is a risky hire for a program like Texas when compared to the other names that were being thrown around.

In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    Quote Originally Posted by Benhokio View Post
    What in that article suggests his gripe has anything to do with race? Put away your race card and jump-to-conclusions mat.
    The dimissive language that Strong may be a good position coach or coordinator when in fact he's been a pretty darn good head coach already.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    The dimissive language that Strong may be a good position coach or coordinator when in fact he's been a pretty darn good head coach already.
    That's ridiculous. He's trying to make the point that Strong is not good enough for the Texas job. That doesn't make him racist. Just throwing that accusation out there based on the article with no other evidence is irresponsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    maybe he is dismissive because he, like almost all texas alum and fans, have a ridiculously high opinion of themselves and their program and see some coach at a school in the AAC with modest success against inferior competition as not worthy of coaching their team. to me, it's more of a superiority complex (louisville isn't worthy of carrying Texas's water) that resulted in his dismissive language, not race. in their minds, louisville might as well be D1-AA.

it's a bit of a risky hire. yea, strong has had some good success at louisville. does he have the potential to be an outstanding coach at a huge program like texas? sure, it's possible. would a lot of fans/boosters prefer someone with more of a proven record of success at a bigger name program? absolutely. i'd be right there with them, regardless of race.
    Last edited by vthokiedsp; Tue Jan 07 2014 at 03:41 PM.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

I think it is a weak hire. What has Strong really done at Louisville? He has a QB that could be the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft and couldn't navigate his cake schedule or win the AAC/Big East this year. That victory over Florida looks pretty average after what Florida did this year. Strong may turn out to be great but it is a risky hire for a program like Texas when compared to the other names that were being thrown around.
    FWIW, I wasn't responding to the article. I was responding to the post I quoted and the other one that made the implication.

That's ridiculous. He's trying to make the point that Strong is not good enough for the Texas job. That doesn't make him racist. Just throwing that accusation out there based on the article with no other evidence is irresponsible.
    This is why I said at the very first that I don't want to say what I think it's about. I'm suspicious, but I'd rather not accuse.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Exactly, they went from wanting to hire Nick freaking Saban to getting the head coach at Louisville. I bet they aren't too happy about that. Strong may end up being a great hire, but it is quite a step back from an established winner like Saban.

It is the same reason that he was never considered for the Florida head coaching position when it was open.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    I really don't wanna say what I think this is about. I would hope people are above that sort of thing by now. I think Charlie Strong has shown himself to be one helluva capable coach and given the success he's had at Loserville, I can only imagine what he should be able to do with Texas' resources available to him. I think they got themselves a good one. He should start winning Big XII Championships in fairly short order and he'll get that team in the playoffs before you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by BMoreHokie View Post
    It is the same reason that he was never considered for the Florida head coaching position when it was open.
    I know quite a few Florida alumni. Their opinion that Strong never got a head coaching opportunity in the SEC was because he was a black coach with a white wife.

It is not ridiculous at all. If he thought Strong wasn't a good enough head coach for Texas he could have said that. But reading between the lines of what he said was that he didn't believe that he was a capable head coach at all, despite that obviously not being factually so.

We may wish that racism really didn't exist but it does and just isn't as overt as when I was growing up. It is very easy to see some of it given the speaker and where he is from.