Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011
Results 101 to 107 of 107
  1. #101

    Join Date
    July 03, 2006
    Posts
    256
    Oh for gawds sake. He's a filthy rich, CEO, prof sports team owner, UT super-booster, super-Type A, super-proud/arrogant Texan who apparently wasn't "listened to" by Texas, who wanted someone like Gruden for chrissakes, and got Louisville's coach. And then ran his mouth about it.

    Oh good grief with this thread, and the whole culture in this country of labeling someone a racist for either a) having a different opinion, or b) disagreeing with someone's qualifications who also happens to be a minority.

  2. #102

    Join Date
    October 07, 2005
    Posts
    4,740
    As an American, a black man and an Airman that understands the history of this country and fought to help keep this GREAT country for what it is, Ive had it with people throwing around the word racist. Its thrown around so much, lost its meaning, watered down...its just ridiculous now and a huge slap in the face. Quite frankly its embarrassing!

    There's no evidence to suggest this guy is a 'racist', but at the end of the day, whether he is or not, who cares?? He couldn't stop Strong from coming to UT and he can't stop Strong from being a successful coach at UT. If he is in fact some horrible racist then what ? What are we supposed to even do with him? He and his conscience has to live with it; not Strong. Strong sleeps at night along with the OVERWHELMINGLY majority of us who aren't racist. We've come so far...why even bring race up in this situation. Just keep on keepin on.

    Do I think Strong will be successful at Texas, yes I do. Bring on the 2014 season!

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceHokie77 View Post
    As an American, a black man and an Airman that understands the history of this country and fought to help keep this GREAT country for what it is, Ive had it with people throwing around the word racist. Its thrown around so much, lost its meaning, watered down...its just ridiculous now and a huge slap in the face. Quite frankly its embarrassing!

    There's no evidence to suggest this guy is a 'racist', but at the end of the day, whether he is or not, who cares?? He couldn't stop Strong from coming to UT and he can't stop Strong from being a successful coach at UT. If he is in fact some horrible racist then what ? What are we supposed to even do with him? He and his conscience has to live with it; not Strong. Strong sleeps at night along with the OVERWHELMINGLY majority of us who aren't racist. We've come so far...why even bring race up in this situation. Just keep on keepin on.

    Do I think Strong will be successful at Texas, yes I do. Bring on the 2014 season!
    Well stated. And with that, this thread should just be locked.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

  4. #104

    Join Date
    January 19, 2004
    Posts
    15,980
    I guess I'm just less comfortable branding someone a racist without evidence. What if your wrong? What if he really is just an idiot, but not a racist idiot? Don't you think it wrong to brand someone with the despicable label of being a racist when they aren't? I guess I choose to err on the side of not calling someone a nasty name if I don't have evidence to support the claim. You really don't think this might be about the hubris of a powerful Longhorn booster rather than racism? That's not a possibility? If it IS a possibility, shouldn't we NOT call someone a hateful name like "racist"?

    Also, I really would like to know what you meant by "then I saw who said it." What exactly did you mean by that?

    Quote Originally Posted by VTizzle View Post
    I guess he'll have to openly say he's racist for people that share your opinion to believe he is.... OR he'll just have to publicly say that his opinions are based on Charlie Strong being black. Just straight to the point, right? No other way to know, right? Otherwise, you're correct that there is no 100% fact that his opinion was racist.

    1 + 1 + 1 = Who knows? Until you see or hear the number 3.

  5. #105

    Join Date
    January 19, 2004
    Posts
    15,980
    Actually, there was media commentary on it. All of Willingham's predecessors (all white) had been given the opportunity to coach through their contracts (5 years for most of them, I believe). Willingham was fired before his contract expired (given only three years, IIRC). Was it racism? Was there something about his approach to running the program? Was it just that ND was entering into the modern era of football that demands immediate results?

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveInBaltimore View Post
    Really? I don't remember at all "the media making a big deal out of Notre Dame being 'racist'".

  6. #106

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Location
    Chesterfield,VA
    Posts
    44,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Pride_and_Joy View Post
    Actually, there was media commentary on it. All of Willingham's predecessors (all white) had been given the opportunity to coach through their contracts (5 years for most of them, I believe). Willingham was fired before his contract expired (given only three years, IIRC). Was it racism? Was there something about his approach to running the program? Was it just that ND was entering into the modern era of football that demands immediate results?
    Was it that he was a bad coach/rep of the university? I just read a story out of Washington about the ND firing and his subsequent tenure at UW. Sounds like he was a pompous ass who thought a bit more of himself than others did.
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

  7. #107
    Will Stewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18, 1999
    Location
    Radford, VA
    Posts
    42,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    Well stated. And with that, this thread should just be locked.
    Done.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •