Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    according to that link, the game isn't on local TV in NYC, only parts of upstate/central NY. and when you look at the ESPN3 blackout map, NYC is in the green.
    Ah good point. Although I think a couple of times the map has been wrong (shocking I know). For example, last year I wanted to a certain football game (I forget the exact teams). ABC was supposed to show 1 marquee game and ESPN was supposed to show the other. According to the ESPN3 map, I should have been able to watch either game. However, come gametime ABC and ESPN ended up showing the same game (not the game I wanted to watch). ESPN3 blacked out the game I wanted to watch, but broadcasted the ABC/ESPN game. Then there was another week I wanted to watch (Michigan St-Notre Dame where MSU's won with the fake FG pass). The game was supposed to be televised in my area either on ABC or ESPN and ESPN3. Well it was not televised on ABC and ESPN was blacked out. When I flipped over to ESPN Alternative, the game on ABC was being aired. For whatever reason the game was blacked out on ESPN3. So I am not sure how accurate the maps are given the accuracy is depended upon someone updating them with the lastest information.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    so it IS available on ESPN3 in NYC, and it is only blacked out in parts of upstate/central NY where the game is available on TV through ACCN syndication.

IIRC, for NYC, the ACC struck a deal for MSG and possibly one other local channel to broadcast a specific number of games instead of landing a local ACCN syndicate partner. so i'm guessing the more high profile 'cuse games will be on ESPN networks or MSG from time to time, with the balance being on ESPN3. all 18 'cuse ACC games will be available in NYC via one of those channels.
    Would it be in the ACC's best interest to have a local channel (even if it is CW, MyTV, THIS, MeTV,...) show as many ACC games as possible like they do in most ACC markets? Baltimore shows 2-3 non-Maryland games per week. Every Maryland game is shown that isn't on ESPN, RSN (Comcast Sports Net)), or CBS. It seems like most ACC games won't be seen in the NYC area like they would be in Richmond, DC, Baltimore, Charlotte, R-D-CH,....

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Would it be in the ACC's best interest to have a local channel (even if it is CW, MyTV, THIS, MeTV,...) show as many ACC games as possible like they do in most ACC markets? Baltimore shows 2-3 non-Maryland games per week. Every Maryland game is shown that isn't on ESPN, RSN (Comcast Sports Net)), or CBS. It seems like most ACC games won't be seen in the NYC area like they would be in Richmond, DC, Baltimore, Charlotte, R-D-CH,....
    i can't answer that, but i think the ACC decided "No" when they partnered with MSG and i believe it might have been SNY in a separate deal outside ACCN syndication. can they still add ACCN syndication on top of the cable channel deals in place? maybe, but i don't know the details of those agreements.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

The ACC is in no position to choose where or when their games are televised. Raycom owns 14 MBB games per season FOX Sports owns 17, and ESPN owns the rest. Games shown in faraway places, AZ, Co, OR, etc. are a result of Raycom/Fox having an affiliate in those locations, or finding a local/regional station who is seeking content for a fee (paid to Raycom/Fox, not the ACC).
    There was, indeed, a deal with MSG to show ACC games, but the conference was NOT one of the parties to the deal. It had to be Raycon, Fox, or ESPN.
    This situation is the offspring of the media rights deal that removed the conference from any decisions about the disposition of their FB and MBB content. What do you reap? What do you sow?

Quote Originally Posted by 33laszlo99 View Post
    The ACC is in no position to choose where or when their games are televised. Raycom owns 14 MBB games per season FOX Sports owns 17, and ESPN owns the rest. Games shown in faraway places, AZ, Co, OR, etc. are a result of Raycom/Fox having an affiliate in those locations, or finding a local/regional station who is seeking content for a fee (paid to Raycom/Fox, not the ACC).
    There was, indeed, a deal with MSG to show ACC games, but the conference was NOT one of the parties to the deal. It had to be Raycon, Fox, or ESPN.
    This situation is the offspring of the media rights deal that removed the conference from any decisions about the disposition of their FB and MBB content. What do you reap? What do you sow?
    For those who are eager to enter into a ACCN/ESPN deal, are you happy with the current handling of the conference games? ESPN virtually owns the ACC content as it stands. They have no need to "push" this product to satisfy the ACC. What are we going to do...? break the contract? The ACC has NO leverage, NONE! ESPN will gladly cash-in on the premier hoops games, but they will bury the lesser games (which they own).
    Discussion of the riches awaiting the ACC when the new ACCN/ESPN offers-up the much ballyhooed Lacrosse/Olympics package is, sadly, empty rhetoric. ESPN wastes much of the content they already own. They are not seeking more of it.
    Sorry to be repetitive, but Raycom would happily buy ACC non-revenue sports (not for a king's ransome, to be sure) in order to become a cable content provider. If you think this small potatoes, then consider that for the next 14 years, or so, medias rights revenue for this conference is fixed. Raycom is better than nothing. Raycom actually has an incentive to aggressively market the ACC product. ESPN often finds it desirable to withhold ACC gamesfron the "air" to avoid conflict/competition with their other programming.
    ACC ADs should hold their collective noses and marry-up with Raycom.