Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Syracuse and ACCN/RSN having problems with NYC TV Coverage

One of the reasons the ACC added Syracuse was to get a member into the New York City metropolitan television market. The Miami games wasn't on TV in the NYC area and neither will tonight's Cuse-Tech game. It is even being blacked out by ESPN3 according to the Syracusefan message board. I knew Syracuse football wouldn't be that popular in the NYC market but I thought their basketball would be popular enough to receive ACCN/RSN coverage for all their ACC games? The ACC needs to get as much television exposure in the NYC area if they want to eventually have an ACCN with ESPN. It'll be interesting to see how the Big 10 Network does in the NYC metro area next year once Rutgers becomes a member.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    One of the reasons the ACC added Syracuse was to get a member into the New York City metropolitan television market. The Miami games wasn't on TV in the NYC area and neither will tonight's Cuse-Tech game. It is even being blacked out by ESPN3 according to the Syracusefan message board. I knew Syracuse football wouldn't be that popular in the NYC market but I thought their basketball would be popular enough to receive ACCN/RSN coverage for all their ACC games? The ACC needs to get as much television exposure in the NYC area if they want to eventually have an ACCN with ESPN. It'll be interesting to see how the Big 10 Network does in the NYC metro area next year once Rutgers becomes a member.
    Could the blackout be due to business decision (vs. a lack of interest in Syracuse basketball)? One thought that popped into my head was that there could be a legal dispute that is going on which would prevent the broadcast of the game. Another possibility is that Syracuse basketball is popular in the market and so the cable/satellite providers are trying to force their customers to upgrade to a higher package.

It makes sense that the game is being blacked out on ESPN3 (see the blackout rules).
    Last edited by VTHokie2000; Tue Jan 07 2014 at 01:12 PM.

I found this link which shows what stations will be broadcasting the game tonight.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasket...cuse_b_11.html

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I knew Syracuse football wouldn't be that popular in the NYC market but I thought their basketball would be popular enough to receive ACCN/RSN coverage for all their ACC games?...
    I read once that Syracuse's 2003 Final Four / National Championship Game had lower ratings in NYC than a regular season Nets game.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

The same sad logic that got BC in the ACC. Oh we get the Boston tv market. Meanwhile BC doesn't even register a blip in Boston tv ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I found this link which shows what stations will be broadcasting the game tonight.

so it IS available on ESPN3 in NYC, and it is only blacked out in parts of upstate/central NY where the game is available on TV through ACCN syndication.

IIRC, for NYC, the ACC struck a deal for MSG and possibly one other local channel to broadcast a specific number of games instead of landing a local ACCN syndicate partner. so i'm guessing the more high profile 'cuse games will be on ESPN networks or MSG from time to time, with the balance being on ESPN3. all 18 'cuse ACC games will be available in NYC via one of those channels.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    I read once that Syracuse's 2003 Final Four / National Championship Game had lower ratings in NYC than a regular season Nets game.
    Depending on which Nets game was being used for the comparison, I can believe it. NYC is a very pro market town.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    so it IS available on ESPN3 in NYC, and it is only blacked out in parts of upstate/central NY where the game is available on TV through ACCN syndication.

IIRC, for NYC, the ACC struck a deal for MSG and possibly one other local channel to broadcast a specific number of games instead of landing a local ACCN syndicate partner. so i'm guessing the more high profile 'cuse games will be on ESPN networks or MSG from time to time, with the balance being on ESPN3. all 18 'cuse ACC games will be available in NYC via one of those channels.
    I thought the ESPN3 blackout rules still apply to NYC since the game is being broadcasted on local stations. For example, since the game is being televised on WDCA20 in my area, then I should not be able to watch the game on ESPN3.

I thought the ESPN3 blackout rules still apply to NYC since the game is being broadcasted on local stations. For example, since the game is being televised on WDCA20 in my area, then I should not be able to watch the game on ESPN3.
    according to that link, the game isn't on local TV in NYC, only parts of upstate/central NY. and when you look at the ESPN3 blackout map, NYC is in the green.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    hadn't heard that. remember, syracuse is 4 hours from NYC. there is a decent following in NYC for syracuse but nothing compares to an actual local team. nyc is a melting pot of alumni bases too. syracuse has been trying to improve their presence in nyc for years with the "new york's college team" message.

yea, i was looking for that link too. i have family that lives in syracuse and there is no problem with the game being blacked out. it'll be blacked out on espn3 for them to encourage the acc network options. espn3 for nyc shouldn't be an issue.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.