Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I was talking about in college. I don't remember Freeman in college, so I don't know. I don't think he was a physical freak type of player though. A great receiver, but not a Megatron type athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I get where you are going, but I believe you forgot to factor in the talent level within a state. When trying to compare competition levels between states, you almost have to view it like a pyramid.

Top of the pyramid: CA, FL, and TX
    Middle of the pyramid: AL, MS, LA, GA, SC, NC, VA, PA, and OH
    Bottom of the pyramid: Everyone else

There can be a few more layers to the pyramid (if you want), but the logic should still work the same. As you move from top to bottom, the competition should get easier and a recruit will have a better chance to improve his recruiting rating because he will appear that much more talented to his instate competition. As you move from bottom to top, then the competition will get tougher and a recruit will have fewer chances to improve his recruiting rating because any "weaknesses" in his game will have a greater chance to be exposed. Any weaknesses in a recruit's game will lower his recruiting rating, not increase it.

Also, you have to keep in mind that high schools are playing more games against schools from other states (and I am not talking about neighboring states either). I think it was either last year or the year before that Oscar Smith (from the '757') played a school from either OH, SC, or FL in a made for TV game that was aired on either ESPN or ESPNU. Even though it may be a small sample size, it does give the experts, who follow high school football (for recruiting purposes), a barometer to quantify the talent level within a state. Not to mention the various summer camps that players (from all over the country) participate in can help quantify the talent level in state because now the experts have 2 data points; 1. how the player does against the best from other states and 2. how the player does against other players from within the state.

Edit: Another thing you may not be factoring in (which can tie directly to competition level) is that a classification of a school may not be the same from state to state. For example a 6A school in TX may qualify as a 8A school in VA. The higher the enrollment at a school, then the greater chance to have a larger football roster (since there is no limits). The more players a team has, then the greater chance that the more "talented" athletes in the school coud be on the roster.
    I was just responding to a particular questions (and it was very late), so no doubt I was oversimplifying. I don't disagree with your points. But IMO the predominant factors than can influence a star rating (other than measurables) are 1) where your HS is located 2) who is on your offer list and 3) who have you committed to.

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    or the sheer fact that VT offered they were bumped to a 3* when they were probably not worthy of a star rating in the first place. that's why i snuck the word "true 4*" in there.

the bottom line is, when you look at SEC and other top programs, there is a big disparity in size and athleticism. VT needs to step up their game for recruiting offensive lineman and it appears Grimes is doing that. we'll see how they pan out.
    Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    or the sheer fact that VT offered they were bumped to a 3* when they were probably not worthy of a star rating in the first place. that's why i snuck the word "true 4*" in there.

the bottom line is, when you look at SEC and other top programs, there is a big disparity in size and athleticism. VT needs to step up their game for recruiting offensive lineman and it appears Grimes is doing that. we'll see how they pan out.
    Possibly in some circumstances VT OL recruits are getting a bump, but I don't think this is generally true because most of our OL recruits are getting offers from similar schools. Plus VT has had some major whiffs with OL recruits that were "SEC size".

I agree that Grimes appears to be stepping up. From what I've seen of the 5 incoming recruits, I think he's looking for 2 things...1) athleticism, balance and footwork...2) aggressiveness. But the one thing that isn't apparent on film is whether a kid will ever "get it". That's a huge, huge wild card for O Lineman and is IMO the big reason that the star ratings for OL are so unreliable. You can have a big, strong, aggressive, athletic kid, but if they can't figure out who to block, you're SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by marcbvtgm View Post
    I was just responding to a particular questions (and it was very late), so no doubt I was oversimplifying. I don't disagree with your points. But IMO the predominant factors than can influence a star rating (other than measurables) are 1) where your HS is located 2) who is on your offer list and 3) who have you committed to.
    I don't disagree that the rating of high school recruits is very subjective (for the reasons you give). I was more (or less) trying to view it from the "more objective" side (which may even be subjective in itself) since it would be difficult to get a company/writer, that does the ratings/rankings of recuits, to admit their biases. If a company/writer admits their biases, then they would lose all crediability since their biases have an impact on their final product that they sell to consumers.