Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

We've never had an uber-receiver. Josh Morgan and Justin Harper were big physical guys who could run -- and Eddie Royal was a quick and explosive player. But we've never had the "whole package" type receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Its not even that, its every position. Those 4* and 5* WRs that FSU had... I would love to see on this team, but I doubt we ever will. Those guys had size and speed. They were tall, but also physically stronger than the CBs. I can't remember the last time we had a receiver like that who could just out-muscle someone to the ball.

Recruiting IS that important, and why its so frustrating to see us bring in average classes each and every year. Eventually, if we ever want to win something more than an ACC title, we are going to have to sack up and start recruiting with the big boys and bring in some legitimate size and talent. You can only coach teams up so far.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieMike94 View Post
    After watching the game last night and seeing that Oline push FlaSt I believe that we have made the correct hire. In another year or 2 our Oline should be where it needs to be to be competitive again.
    Not a knock on Grimes, but don't forget those guys were signing up after they had just won a MNC, correct? It has to help.
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Its not JUST that, its every position.
    there we go. :-)
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by 48zip View Post
    Not a knock on Grimes, but don't forget those guys were signing up after they had just won a MNC, correct? It has to help.
    Thats a great point. I would like to know how many he recruited before the NC

Quote Originally Posted by Pride_and_Joy View Post
    We've never had an uber-receiver. Josh Morgan and Justin Harper were big physical guys who could run -- and Eddie Royal was a quick and explosive player. But we've never had the "whole package" type receiver.
    I would not consider Josh Morgan to be a "big physical guy." I believe he was listed on VT's roster at 6'1 (NFL rosters have listed him at 6'0) and somewhere between 200-215lbs. When I think of a "big and physical" WR, then I think of a WR that is at least 6'2+ and 220lbs+, but is all muscle and can play with a "TE mentality." What I mean by "TE mentality" is a player willing to out muscle a LB for the ball. At times Morgan could out muscle a DB for a ball, but there were times where he lost the battle too. A big physical WR should win the battle at least 90% of the time because he knows where the ball is going to be (vs. being in a reactive position).

Quote Originally Posted by Pride_and_Joy View Post
    Offenses like VT's don't get those type of receivers. And since the offense have been a wasteland for the better part of a decade its going to be an uphill battle to change that.

But I think the new hires will be up for the challenge. Offensive recruiting seems to have gotten a bump since they arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I would not consider Josh Morgan to be a "big physical guy." I believe he was listed on VT's roster at 6'1 (NFL rosters have listed him at 6'0) and somewhere between 200-215lbs. When I think of a "big and physical" WR, then I think of a WR that is at least 6'2+ and 220lbs+, but is all muscle and can play with a "TE mentality." What I mean by "TE mentality" is a player willing to out muscle a LB for the ball. At times Morgan could out muscle a DB for a ball, but there were times where he lost the battle too. A big physical WR should win the battle at least 90% of the time because he knows where the ball is going to be (vs. being in a reactive position).
    Unfortunately the two we've had (Marcus Davis and DJ Coles) were afraid to block and injured, respectively...DJ could block

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    i'm starting to fully appreciate the biggest difference between the linemen we recruit and the true 4*/5* star linemen that SEC schools and upper programs recruit is the size with athleticism. the linemen for auburn were huge and just as athletic as a lineman 30-40lbs lighter. a 3 star recruit may be big but will lack athleticism or is athletic and small. sorry if my post is "thanks captain obvious". i'm a little slow on the uptake at times. :-)
    First, there were no 5* on that line for Auburn last night. And there were a couple of 3* (if you include the TE). Second, VT has had quite a few 4* OL recruits and the success rate compared to 3* and even 2* appears to be random. Recruiting stars are not a particularly good barometer for future performance by OL.

Nevertheless, I do agree about the need for athleticism. And that is one of the two characteristics I have noted when looking at the film of all the incoming OL recruits. They are all athletic -- and have good balance and footwork.

The other thing I've noticed is that the incoming guys all seem to like to hit people -- and preferably more than one.

I doubt any of them will be in the mix for 2014, but for 2015 and especially 2016, I'm quite optimistic these guys are going to have an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by marcbvtgm View Post
    Recruiting stars are not a particularly good barometer for future performance by OL.
    This is very true but VT took it to an entirely new level pre-Grimes.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieMike94 View Post
    Thats a great point. I would like to know how many he recruited before the NC
    Here's the facts:

TE Jr 3* Committed 1/11/11
    LT So 4* Committed 12/11/10
    LG r-Fr 4* Committed 2/27/12
    C Jr 4* Committed 4/21/10
    RG Jr 3* Committed 7/25/09
    RT So 4* Committed 1/12/12

None were on the national championship roster. Two committed before the Nat'l championship season began. One committed after the SEC champ game, but before the Nat'l champ game. One committed the day after the champ game (probably not a coincidence). The remaining two committed after the unremarkable 2011 season (during which Auburn went 8-5, 4-4 and beat UVa 43-24...sound familiar?).

So for at least 4 of the 6, the Nat'l championship win likely had nominal direct impact.