Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Conference bowl result spreadsheet: final

Quote Originally Posted by HokieDevil View Post
    wow. SunBelt is best conference in college football.

Looking at that, one might incorrectly assume the SEC is the best conference in the "big boy" bowls this year...lol

ACC! ACC! ACC! ACC!
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

To improve this, we could move Maryland, Rutgers, and Louisville. That gives us 6-5, and the Big 10 2-7. Ouch.

IMO, the ACC had a great record in the bowls, especially when you consider we were playing one bowl up for our normal slotting due to getting two teams into the BCS bowls. Given that we won both BCS games, with one of those the National Championship, and we look fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthahn View Post
    To improve this, we could move Maryland, Rutgers, and Louisville. That gives us 6-5, and the Big 10 2-7. Ouch.

IMO, the ACC had a great record in the bowls, especially when you consider we were playing one bowl up for our normal slotting due to getting two teams into the BCS bowls. Given that we won both BCS games, with one of those the National Championship, and we look fantastic.
    "We" looked bad because "we" lost our bowl game. The only "we" that counts is when speaking about VT. VT is in the ACC because it was a business decision. I'll never understand why people try to give conference affiliation an emotional significance.

.500 ish in bowls isn't too too bad. Especially considering we had 2 in the BCS, games that we won, and that we set the record for number of teams playing. Again, bowls are supposed to be even matchups and winning half is OK IMO. And winning 2 BCS games, including the MNC, is pretty awesome too. Anyhow, GREAT year for the ACC.

In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    "We" looked bad because "we" lost our bowl game. The only "we" that counts is when speaking about VT. VT is in the ACC because it was a business decision. I'll never understand why people try to give conference affiliation an emotional significance.
    You couldn't be more wrong. Virginia Tech is not an independent (and hasn't been since I was in school!) We are part of the ACC and how the ACC, as a whole, effects Virginia Tech and its ability to market itself. Most of our money now derives from conference affiliation, not our own brand.

Not to mention, that most of us over a certain age, grew up with the ACC brand and have an actual emotional attachment to the conference!

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    You couldn't be more wrong. Virginia Tech is not an independent (and hasn't been since I was in school!) We are part of the ACC and how the ACC, as a whole, effects Virginia Tech and its ability to market itself. Most of our money now derives from conference affiliation, not our own brand.

Not to mention, that most of us over a certain age, grew up with the ACC brand and have an actual emotional attachment to the conference!
    Do you deny this is a business relationship? Probably not because because you talk about marketing and money. That's business.
    Do players come to VT because they want to play in the ACC? No, they don't. They want VT, they want to be Hokies.
    And the final question
    Did you feel the same way when VT was in the Big East? Maybe you weren't around when VT was in the Big East, but here's another fact - VT left the BE because it was a good business decision on numerous levels when the ACC option was laid on the desk AND if another business option ever presents itself that's better than the ACC deal it will be a business decision to leave or stay, not an emotional one.

Sorry I hurt your feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    Yes, VT looked bad in the bowl game. But WE, the ACC, looked pretty good in the bowls. At no point did Truthahn say (or imply) that the "we" he was discussing was Virginia Tech. But the ACC is "our" home (business arrangement or not), and I see no reason not to say "we" when discussing it. Your statements are valid, and Truthahns statements are valid.

Quote Originally Posted by GusDaMan View Post
    Yes, VT looked bad in the bowl game. But WE, the ACC, looked pretty good in the bowls. At no point did Truthahn say (or imply) that the "we" he was discussing was Virginia Tech. But the ACC is "our" home (business arrangement or not), and I see no reason not to say "we" when discussing it. Your statements are valid, and Truthahns statements are valid.
    Guess I hurt your feelings, too. The only emotions I feel for some of the members of the ACC are negative ones. I'll do business with them, but that's where the relationship starts and ends.