Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Changing coaches is normally a necessary thing to win games, but from my chart below, many schools (consisting of ACC teams and some of Tech's non-conference rivals) have been chasing winning coaches for some time and come up short most of the time. Some schools lose their winning coaches to bigger programs (Louisville is a good example). Tech has been very fortunate. I'd hate to be a Pitt fan since 1987.
    Good info. I'm concerned that VT will step on the coaching carousel once Frank Beamer decides to retire. Any coach that wins will look to move up to a bigger program, and any coach that loses will get fired. In Beamer, we were fortunate to have a coach that valued staying at VT more that moving up to bigger programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie360 View Post
    Good info. I'm concerned that VT will step on the coaching carousel once Frank Beamer decides to retire. Any coach that wins will look to move up to a bigger program, and any coach that loses will get fired. In Beamer, we were fortunate to have a coach that valued staying at VT more that moving up to bigger programs.
    Very true about Frank Beamer. I have a bad feeling we could end up like WVU after Don Nehlen retired after 21 years in Morgantown.

Pretty sure they've moved to 10 toppings for $10.99 stage.

VT fans need to be prepared on the NEW WORLD ORDER in regards to hiring football coaches. First sticker shock for salary, Second dealing with agents, Third the likelihood of having a coach for 20-30 years is very unlikely.

Just think Louisville has a 87 million dollar budget and Strong leaving to a 167 million dollar budget and a 100k stadium.

VT budget is ONLY 66 million, boy some effort is needed to increase revenue…..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    But all else is NOT equal. Texas has arguably better facilities, definitely better recruiting area, and a much higher ceiling than Louisville. I'm surprised the people don't think that Texas is an upgrade from Louisville. What universe are you living in?
    Texas is an "upgrade", but Louisville says it would have matched the money. $5 million to coach at Louisville with absolutely zero expectations is way better than coaching at Texas, where a 10-win season and a victory against Oklahoma is not good enough. Strong could win 9 games a season at Louisville and face almost no pressure.

My other point was that I don't understand why Texas (or Louisville) would pay Strong $5 million. He has absolutely no resume to justify such an obscene sum of money. Not to mention that he has a history of playing the race card (asserting that his race was the reason he wasn't getting head coaching jobs). Imagine Texas trying to fire Strong--it would be almost impossible to do so without getting accused of racism.
    Last edited by TJ was Broke; Mon Jan 06 2014 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    VT fans need to be prepared on the NEW WORLD ORDER in regards to hiring football coaches. First sticker shock for salary, Second dealing with agents, Third the likelihood of having a coach for 20-30 years is very unlikely.
    Yup! It's the end of the world as we know it...

Just look at the comments in the attrition article where people are crying about not renewing scholarships for proof.

Sell beer, at least you get something for your $$$$
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

Just think Louisville has a 87 million dollar budget and Strong leaving to a 167 million dollar budget and a 100k stadium.

VT budget is ONLY 66 million, boy some effort is needed to increase revenue…..

In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    Quote Originally Posted by 48tnhokie View Post
    Sell beer, at least you get something for your $$$$
    Since this doesn't seem to be against the NCAA, I don't know why more schools don't adopt this. Have people that know how to tell a fake from a real manning wristband booths and then sell alcohol to those over the legal age.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    But all else is NOT equal. Texas has arguably better facilities, definitely better recruiting area, and a much higher ceiling than Louisville. I'm surprised the people don't think that Texas is an upgrade from Louisville. What universe are you living in?

Texas is a huge upgrade over Louisville. I'd start with Texas being won of college football's premier programs, while Louisville being a basketball program at heart. L-ville has upgraded their football program significantly to compete in the FBS. But Rick Pitano controls the L-ville athletic program the same way Coach K does at Duke.

Second, L-ville is a good city in a good location. But it sits in between the Big Ten and the SEC. L-ville has more or less owned UK in football. But think Texas recruiting in state versus L-ville. L-ville has five players from Ohio. But they have 34 from Florida. L-ville has cracked the nut of recruiting in the Sunshine State, particularly Miami. So they get players. But current classes, Texas is #12 and L-ville is #30. The Cards have one recruit in their current class from Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie1992 View Post
    But Rick Pitano controls the L-ville athletic program the same way Coach K does at Duke.
    I don't buy that for second.