Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ was Broke View Post
    Texas is an "upgrade", but Louisville says it would have matched the money. $5 million to coach at Louisville with absolutely zero expectations is way better than coaching at Texas, where a 10-win season and a victory against Oklahoma is not good enough. Strong could win 9 games a season at Louisville and face almost no pressure.
    Which would justify his staying at Louisville, if money were his only goal. As competitive as most football coaches are, why would they necessarily want the "no pressure" gig?

Winning a National Championship. Winning on the biggest stage. Turning around an elite program. There are many other goals for a coach, and Texas has a lot more of the resources to help with those. Staying at Louisville just because they'd match his salary? There's only one reason to do that, and many reason not to.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    Which would justify his staying at Louisville, if money were his only goal. As competitive as most football coaches are, why would they necessarily want the "no pressure" gig?

Winning a National Championship. Winning on the biggest stage. Turning around an elite program. There are many other goals for a coach, and Texas has a lot more of the resources to help with those. Staying at Louisville just because they'd match his salary? There's only one reason to do that, and many reason not to.
    I agree that there are obviously reasons other than money to move. But you can at least see why I'm a little bit surprised vs. asking what planet I'm on. I think he'll ultimately come to regret the move given the outrageous expectations of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by BeamerBallin View Post
    I don't buy that for second.
    louisville is the #1 revenue (and profit) program in college basketball.

louisville basketball profit in the 2012/2013 season - $26.9 million
    louisville football profit in the 2012 season - $4.98 million

there are a bunch of articles talking about how basketball is king as louisville. here is one. http://www.wave3.com/story/20282267/...able-in-nation

the numbers vary in articles based on accounting but it appears that basketball is 4-5 times more profitable than football at louisville. that being the case, i think it would be safe to say that Pitino likely has a lot of influence on the athletic department. he who has the gold (in this case, makes the gold), makes the rules.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.