Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481

    Louisville Fans in "Bargaining Stage" after Losing Strong

    They went through the denial stage (Strong ain't leaving Louisville,....), then the anger stage (that SOB is all about money!.....), and presently in the bargaining stage (Strong will regret the day he left but we will find someone better). Soon they'll become depressed (waiting for a new coach to be named and hoping certain coaches don't get the job), and then they'll come into the final acceptance stage when they get (in Louisville's case...BUY) their new coach.

    It's been 27 years since we had to go through that. Yes, Frank Beamer almost got fired and almost went to UNC, but he's been with us a long time. Some are complaining now and wish he would retire, but I'm happy for all the years of stability and we don't have to go through coaching changes every 3 or 4 years like a lot of schools. Maybe after Beamer retires we'll join that crowd, but for now I'm thankful for the peace and quiet.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 18, 2013
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    They went through the denial stage (Strong ain't leaving Louisville,....), then the anger stage (that SOB is all about money!.....), and presently in the bargaining stage (Strong will regret the day he left but we will find someone better). Soon they'll become depressed (waiting for a new coach to be named and hoping certain coaches don't get the job), and then they'll come into the final acceptance stage when they get (in Louisville's case...BUY) their new coach.

    It's been 27 years since we had to go through that. Yes, Frank Beamer almost got fired and almost went to UNC, but he's been with us a long time. Some are complaining now and wish he would retire, but I'm happy for all the years of stability and we don't have to go through coaching changes every 3 or 4 years like a lot of schools. Maybe after Beamer retires we'll join that crowd, but for now I'm thankful for the peace and quiet.
    I'm a HUGE Beamer critic, but I do agree that the coaching carousel would suck. So I will admit that that is a nice aspect of our coaching situation.

    On another note, I'm surprised Strong could be purchased. He was already one of the highest paid coaches in the game--can't believe Texas was able to get him so EASILY.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ was Broke View Post
    I'm a HUGE Beamer critic, but I do agree that the coaching carousel would suck. So I will admit that that is a nice aspect of our coaching situation.

    On another note, I'm surprised Strong could be purchased. He was already one of the highest paid coaches in the game--can't believe Texas was able to get him so EASILY.
    It isn't that big of a surprise. You have to remember that the Longhorns's entire revenue stream rivals the amount of gold in Fort Knox (somewhat a TIC example). On a more serious note, Texas has enough money that it could hold its own in a bidding war against Jerry Jones and/or Daniel Snyder. So if Texas wants someone bad enough to be its next head football coach, then (in theory) it could hand a blank check to an individual and tell them to write in the figure it will take for them to say "yes."

  4. #4
    vthokieq's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13, 1999
    Location
    Will Stewart's dog house
    Posts
    54,549
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ was Broke View Post
    On another note, I'm surprised Strong could be purchased. He was already one of the highest paid coaches in the game--can't believe Texas was able to get him so EASILY.
    Word is that Louisville's AD offered to match any offer...so it might not be just about money.

  5. #5

    Texas athletic revenue is almost 2x Louisville.

    Quote Originally Posted by TJ was Broke View Post

    On another note, I'm surprised Strong could be purchased. He was already one of the highest paid coaches in the game--can't believe Texas was able to get him so EASILY.
    Texas athletic revenue is almost 2x Louisville. $163M vs $87M.

    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...ools/finances/

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    They went through the denial stage (Strong ain't leaving Louisville,....), then the anger stage (that SOB is all about money!.....), and presently in the bargaining stage (Strong will regret the day he left but we will find someone better). Soon they'll become depressed (waiting for a new coach to be named and hoping certain coaches don't get the job), and then they'll come into the final acceptance stage when they get (in Louisville's case...BUY) their new coach.

    It's been 27 years since we had to go through that. Yes, Frank Beamer almost got fired and almost went to UNC, but he's been with us a long time. Some are complaining now and wish he would retire, but I'm happy for all the years of stability and we don't have to go through coaching changes every 3 or 4 years like a lot of schools. Maybe after Beamer retires we'll join that crowd, but for now I'm thankful for the peace and quiet.
    Is changing coaches necessarily a bad thing? VT does not have the same reputation as some other big name schools (i.e. Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, FSU, USC, Notre Dame etc). If VT suddenly were to become highly successful, then it might be difficult for VT to keep a coach from taking another job at a more high profile school or NFL. If VT ends up going through a couple coaches, who end up becoming more successful at another school or the NFL, then I would think that would be good PR for the school. Yes, it would stink for the fanbase that it has to endure more rebuilding under a new regime. However, if the school and the fan base are not 100% committed to getting the program to that level, isn't it better for the school to have that reputation (aka a good source for hiring successful head coaches)?

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 18, 2013
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie360 View Post
    Texas athletic revenue is almost 2x Louisville. $163M vs $87M.

    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...ools/finances/
    I get that Texas has a bottomless pit for paying coaches salaries, but I'm surprised that Strong would be bought, all else being equal (like, Louisville matching the money), given that Texas is in a league that may not exist in 10 years (although that probably has little bearing) and that Texas has outrageously high expectations. The guy could easily be 3 years and done. After getting fired from Texas nobody is going to pay him $5 million/year to coach. Even so, I don't completely understand the infatuation with Strong--what has he accomplished that would garner him outrageously high pay checks at Louisville and Texas? I get an Urban Meyer or a Nick Saban getting outrageous compensation, but they have legitimately accomplished something.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ was Broke View Post
    I get that Texas has a bottomless pit for paying coaches salaries, but I'm surprised that Strong would be bought, all else being equal (like, Louisville matching the money), given that Texas is in a league that may not exist in 10 years (although that probably has little bearing) and that Texas has outrageously high expectations. The guy could easily be 3 years and done. After getting fired from Texas nobody is going to pay him $5 million/year to coach. Even so, I don't completely understand the infatuation with Strong--what has he accomplished that would garner him outrageously high pay checks at Louisville and Texas? I get an Urban Meyer or a Nick Saban getting outrageous compensation, but they have legitimately accomplished something.
    Maybe Strong agrees with you, and feels he needs to collect the cash while he can. There's no guarantee he'd continue to be successful at Louisville (especially with Bridgewater leaving). It's better (from a money standpoint) to be fired from Texas than to be fired from Louisville.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ was Broke View Post
    ...but I'm surprised that Strong would be bought, all else being equal (like, Louisville matching the money)...
    But all else is NOT equal. Texas has arguably better facilities, definitely better recruiting area, and a much higher ceiling than Louisville. I'm surprised the people don't think that Texas is an upgrade from Louisville. What universe are you living in?
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

  10. #10
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Is changing coaches necessarily a bad thing? VT does not have the same reputation as some other big name schools (i.e. Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, FSU, USC, Notre Dame etc). If VT suddenly were to become highly successful, then it might be difficult for VT to keep a coach from taking another job at a more high profile school or NFL. If VT ends up going through a couple coaches, who end up becoming more successful at another school or the NFL, then I would think that would be good PR for the school. Yes, it would stink for the fanbase that it has to endure more rebuilding under a new regime. However, if the school and the fan base are not 100% committed to getting the program to that level, isn't it better for the school to have that reputation (aka a good source for hiring successful head coaches)?
    Changing coaches is normally a necessary thing to win games, but from my chart below, many schools (consisting of ACC teams and some of Tech's non-conference rivals) have been chasing winning coaches for some time and come up short most of the time. Some schools lose their winning coaches to bigger programs (Louisville is a good example). Tech has been very fortunate. I'd hate to be a Pitt fan since 1987.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •