Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Why don't VT alumni donate more? Why can't we fill a 66k stadium, when Clemson, a smaller school from a smaller state, fills a much bigger stadium? We've got more ACC titles in the last decade.

So if VT alumni won't show the commitment that alumni from other schools have, why would a recruit want to play here?
    If the Hokie Club even TRIED to get donations, then we could probably have this argument, but the HC is probably the most passive fundraising body I've EVER encountered. In fact, the only times I ever hear about a donation is when my local rep calls me up to re-up for the next year at the current rate I'm giving. There are no big fundraising drives, there are no big movements to bring in more money.

That entire group badly needs an overhaul.
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    If the Hokie Club even TRIED to get donations, then we could probably have this argument, but the HC is probably the most passive fundraising body I've EVER encountered. In fact, the only times I ever hear about a donation is when my local rep calls me up to re-up for the next year at the current rate I'm giving. There are no big fundraising drives, there are no big movements to bring in more money.

That entire group badly needs an overhaul.
    Correct again.

Quote Originally Posted by illinihokie View Post
    LT is a legit NFL talent.
    eek. those terms, legit and talent are highly subjective and i'm not sure what you meant by them. will LT get drafted? yes. probably in the mid to late rounds. is he talented? yes. he's very physically talented (arm strength, size, mobility). is his QB skill set (reads, mechanics, accuracy, etc) NFL ready? no. not really even close either. can he still get better at that stuff? yes. in the grand scheme of things, he's still fairly inexperienced at QB and certainly lacked upper level coaching for most of his QB career at VT.

having said all of that, i'm not sure that equates to legit NFL talent. not bashing LT at all. it is what it is.
    Last edited by vthokiedsp; Wed Jan 08 2014 at 10:44 AM.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    eek. those terms, legit and talent are highly subjective and i'm not sure what you meant by them. will LT get drafted? yes. probably in the mid to late rounds. is he talented? yes. he's very physically talented (arm strength, size, mobility). is his QB skill set (reads, mechanics, accuracy, etc) NFL ready? no. not really even close either. can he still get better at that stuff? yes. in the grand scheme of things, he's still fairly inexperienced at QB and certainly lacked upper level coaching for most of his QB career at VT.

having said all of that, i'm not sure that equates to legit NFL talent. not bashing LT at all. it is what it is.
    Very fair take. But some will call that bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post

I hear you, but when you're talking "NFL talent" are you referring to the top 15 QBs in the league or all of the QBs on an NFL roster? IMO, when you look at the entire package, Logan Thomas has more talent right now...today...than a sizable number of QBs getting paychecks from NFL teams.

Quote Originally Posted by marcbvtgm View Post
    I hear you, but when you're talking "NFL talent" are you referring to the top 15 QBs in the league or all of the QBs on an NFL roster? IMO, when you look at the entire package, Logan Thomas has more talent right now...today...than a sizable number of QBs getting paychecks from NFL teams.
    Based on what?

He has size and arm strength. Thats it. He is terribly inconsistent with his throws, turns the ball over far more frequently than most who play his position, and when he was the senior leader and we needed him to step up, he put out some of the worst performances of his career in back to back weeks against BC and Duke.

Tyrod Taylor is a career backup in the NFL right now at QB, and he was a MUCH more polished and all around better player at the QB position than Logan Thomas has been in his career. I don't doubt that LT will be drafted, but if you're going to say unequivocally right now that he "has more talent than a sizeable number of QBs getting paychecks from NFL teams", well then I could not disagree more. The NFL is where the elite play, and the great ride the bench. LT is barely in the discussion right now for 'average college QB' based on his body of work at VT.
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

Quote Originally Posted by marcbvtgm View Post
    i was trying to figure out what illinihokie meant by nfl talent, which is why i tried to break things down into physical and skills. imo, nfl talent is a starting QB or serviceable backup that could win a team a game or two in a pinch. based on LTs QB skills, I don't think he's NFL talent RIGHT NOW. with some more coaching, he could be. i believe Logan's ceiling is high. like i said, he's still fairly green at QB. with some top notch coaching, who knows. that's why most scouts, gms, and agents see LT very much as a project. from what my agent friend has said, teams aren't ignoring the fact that he has the athleticism and size to get a look at TE as a backup plan.

i'm a bills fan and i'd have no problem with the bills drafting LT in the 4th round or so and give him a chance to develop under Hackett. i'd probably get a jersey first thing.
    Last edited by vthokiedsp; Wed Jan 08 2014 at 02:12 PM.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Based on what?

He has size and arm strength. Thats it. He is terribly inconsistent with his throws, turns the ball over far more frequently than most who play his position, and when he was the senior leader and we needed him to step up, he put out some of the worst performances of his career in back to back weeks against BC and Duke.

Tyrod Taylor is a career backup in the NFL right now at QB, and he was a MUCH more polished and all around better player at the QB position than Logan Thomas has been in his career. I don't doubt that LT will be drafted, but if you're going to say unequivocally right now that he "has more talent than a sizeable number of QBs getting paychecks from NFL teams", well then I could not disagree more. The NFL is where the elite play, and the great ride the bench. LT is barely in the discussion right now for 'average college QB' based on his body of work at VT.
    Since the talent dearth around and load put on LT -- and how that can significantly impact performance -- has been explained ad naseum here, I won't go over it again. But pro scouts only care about whether a player can help their team. They get paid to see through the apples to oranges comparisons and instead see apples to apples. They don't always succeed, but the good scouts and teams do it better, more consistently than the bad ones.

For similar reasons, I disagree with you on the Tyrod vs LT comparison. Apples to oranges. You can't compare the receivers they had to throw to, the running game behind them, the OL in front of them, and the offensive load put on their shoulders.

Nevertheless take a look at the roughly 100 QBs on NFL rosters. There will be a dozen or so you've barely ever heard of, another dozen or so that put up great numbers in college but quickly revealed their pro ceiling, and bunch more who either "Really? That guy's still playing? or "he's on a roster? He's a pick machine". Many of these guys have significant flaws as a passer like LT. Few, if any, have his natural physical gifts -- with most not even close.

QBs who gets drafted in the 1st 4 or 5 rounds are pushing one of those guys out of the NFL -- and probably move past a bunch more on the depth chart.

For comparison, here's the scouting report on a recently drafted QB -- who is now starting in the NFL:

"Two-year starter who is football smart. A classic tall drop back pocket style NFL quarterback who has height and developing passing fundamentals. A strong enough arm to gun the deep outs or go deep down the field. Can extend the play. Used NFL play terminology at XXXXXXXX. Limited mobility. Accuracy was inconsistent in 201x due to numerous dropped passes. Needs a clean pocket to step up into to be successful. Possesses a slender build that could use more muscle and good weight. Must protect the ball better when under pressure. Needs footwork and mechanics development. Below average athletic ability for the position. 201x stats: 330/564, 4031 passing yds, 58.5%, 31 TD, 17 INT. Ball velocity 49 mph."

Doesn't even sound like a back-up, let alone an early NFL starter, does it? Yet there are some similarities to LT...