Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by avhokie View Post
    If he's such a great recruiter, then why do we have far less talent on offense than we did 20 years ago when most of the country had no idea that we had a football program?
    Because he used to be a great recruiter, but then his rep at an OC neutered his recruiting effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by NokieHokie View Post
    Because he used to be a great recruiter, but then his rep at an OC neutered his recruiting effectiveness.
    USED to be. That ended a while back. The last number of years he was not a great recruiter and a terrible OC.
    When replying to a specific post, use Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by NokieHokie View Post
    Yup. That needed to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by avhokie View Post
    USED to be. That ended a while back. The last number of years he was not a great recruiter and a terrible OC.
    And yet the single main reason people pointed to as to why we should keep him around was because of how great of a recruiter he was
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    And yet the single main reason people pointed to as to why we should keep him around was because of how great of a recruiter he was
    Can't explain that sentiment any more than I can explain why people believe he'll be a HC someday. Great guy, loyal Hokie, hard worker, and other commendable traits maybe too numerous to mention . . . . . I just don't get anything past those things.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Logan did nothing to make the guys around him play better. Those guys his first year bailed him out time and time again. When it was up to him, he just couldn't do it on his own. He was far too inconsistent to be a quality QB, and that more than anything is going to cost him.

Its one thing if he was consistently putting the ball on the numbers and the WRs were dropping them. But he wasn't. His throws were consistently all over the place during his career, and when he didn't have NFL talent around him bailing him out on these inconsistencies, these issues came front and center. Underthrows, overthrows, failing to lead the receiver, throwing behind the receiver... we saw all these issues throughout the last 2 seasons. I mean, we're in the last regular season game of his senior season, and he's still throwing bullet passes on short simple routes that need something taken off. At a certain point, you just can't blame coaches anymore.
    I would argue that he did make those guys look better. The offensive talent was exceedingly low and/or inexperienced and, I know this is hard to imagine, but by carrying almost the entire offensive load, LT did make them look better than they were. A lot better.

I guess we'll find out what LT looks like when he gets to throw to receivers that run good routes and get separation from DBs and LBs. Even the worst of the receivers in camp next year will be light years better than what he had this year. And how often have you heard someone say that a pass wasn't catchable by an NFL receiver because it was thrown too hard? I've seen Wes Welker catch some major bullets on very short passes and he rarely drops them...and if he does, it's not because it was thrown too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by marcbvtgm View Post
    I would argue that he did make those guys look better. The offensive talent was exceedingly low and/or inexperienced and, I know this is hard to imagine, but by carrying almost the entire offensive load, LT did make them look better than they were. A lot better.

I guess we'll find out what LT looks like when he gets to throw to receivers that run good routes and get separation from DBs and LBs. Even the worst of the receivers in camp next year will be light years better than what he had this year. And how often have you heard someone say that a pass wasn't catchable by an NFL receiver because it was thrown too hard? I've seen Wes Welker catch some major bullets on very short passes and he rarely drops them...and if he does, it's not because it was thrown too hard.
    While that is all true, you have to counter that with he will be playing against much faster and more sophisticated NFL defenses. Is it a net wash, gain or loss?

I believe some of you have forgotten that Stiney was effective in 757 where the major talent is. Beamer moved him out of that area when Newsome came on board, reduced his recruiting responsibilities so he could focus more on OC duties.
    That was a double whammy. He can be an effective recruiter for us in 757, but he's going to have to work on repairing damage done and somehow working with the 7 on 7 influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer74 View Post
    I believe some of you have forgotten that Stiney was effective in 757 where the major talent is. Beamer moved him out of that area when Newsome came on board, reduced his recruiting responsibilities so he could focus more on OC duties.
    That was a double whammy. He can be an effective recruiter for us in 757, but he's going to have to work on repairing damage done and somehow working with the 7 on 7 influence.
    You should be ashamed of yourself bringing truth and accuracy to a perfectly good Stiney bashing thread...

Quote Originally Posted by WestEndHokie39 View Post
    You should be ashamed of yourself bringing truth and accuracy to a perfectly good Stiney bashing thread...
    What you see as bashing I see as fair observations.