Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Logan did nothing to make the guys around him play better. Those guys his first year bailed him out time and time again. When it was up to him, he just couldn't do it on his own. He was far too inconsistent to be a quality QB, and that more than anything is going to cost him.

Its one thing if he was consistently putting the ball on the numbers and the WRs were dropping them. But he wasn't. His throws were consistently all over the place during his career, and when he didn't have NFL talent around him bailing him out on these inconsistencies, these issues came front and center. Underthrows, overthrows, failing to lead the receiver, throwing behind the receiver... we saw all these issues throughout the last 2 seasons. I mean, we're in the last regular season game of his senior season, and he's still throwing bullet passes on short simple routes that need something taken off. At a certain point, you just can't blame coaches anymore.
    If you'd like to discuss NFL talent, Tom Brady is a great example of what happens when you don't have enough talent around you. Look at the past 4 seasons (including the current). 14-2, 13-3, 12-4, 12-4. His QBR has gone down each season, as has his completion percentage. For the past 3 years, yds and TDs have decreased each year. They were in the Super Bowl 2 years ago, missed last year, and we'll see about this year.

Am I comparing Tom Brady and Logan Thomas? No. What you need to look at is the offense that has eroded around Tom Brady. Can you tell me the top 3 receivers on the Patriots this year? No, because he does not have NFL talent to throw to. His line that led to so many Super Bowls has retired and what he has is not up to what it was. Sure TB is also getting older, which is a different dynamic in the NFL v CFB, but they have very similar characteristics in their downfall, murder excluded.

Sure, LT has made his mistakes (more than Brady has this year, I'm sure), but if the mistakes by the rest of the team were cut in half, this team would have been 10-2, gotten throttled by FSU (maybe, who knows?) and would have been in a better bowl. LT would have looked a lot prettier had that happened, which is the point of the original statement. Any player makes or breaks his draft, but the top picks get a lot of help from the players around them since it is a team game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
    It is what it is at this point. There are people that think we have real talent on offense, but just haven't put "it" together. And, there are those who think we have no talent on offense. The crazy thing is, these are all people that watch every game we play.....

I have followed VT football closely since 2000, and the last two years was by far and away the lowest talent level we have had on the offensive side of the ball during that time. I am not sure why this is even a question in people's minds. When he had talent around him, Logan was really good. When he had no talent around him, he was very mediocre. Logan has not played with any NFL players during the last two years (present frosh potentially excluded).

Our crap recruiting (which goes back to the coaches) let Logan down. It let the program down. It let the fans down. Just call it what it is......we had three years of mailing it in on the recruiting trail and we are suffering......
    I've followed VT all my life, and 2012-13 were the LEAST talented offenses I remember of the Beamer bowl era...except possibly for 1997 when we couldn't score a TD in our bowl vs UNC. That team had an injured Al Clark...and safety convert Nick Sorensen at QB. Our best player was Lamont Pegues I think. That team probably had a slightly better OL than this years team though.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiepro View Post
    That team probably had a slightly better OL than this years team though.
    Haha, when I sat there and watched UNC blitz and rush 4 and get pressure on us, I might rethink that!

Our crap recruiting (which goes back to the coaches) let Logan down. It let the program down. It let the fans down. Just call it what it is......we had three years of mailing it in on the recruiting trail and we are suffering......
    What? I thought Stinespring was the "Master" recruiter! <-- So sayeth the change averse fans.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieD_1994 View Post
    What? I thought Stinespring was the "Master" recruiter! <-- So sayeth the change averse fans.
    The argument changes every time you prove them wrong. You'll be going in circles in no time.
    When replying to a specific post, use Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by HokieD_1994 View Post
    That was the ONLY reason he was kept around, afterall
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

Quote Originally Posted by avhokie View Post
    The argument changes every time you prove them wrong. You'll be going in circles in no time.
    Dude, time out. When did I EVER say Stiney was a master recruiter? We have never had a master recruiter here at VT.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

Dude, time out. When did I EVER say Stiney was a master recruiter? We have never had a master recruiter here at VT.......
    Sorry, wasn't speaking about you. Most of those happy with the status quo (before the recent changes) spun in circles when presented with arguments that went against their views.

Acknowledging that Stinespring is one of our better recruiters has nothing to do with his incompetence as an OC. It is this all-or-nothing attitude that causes people to be labeled Stiney-defenders or Stiney-haters. The guy is a good recruiter and a bad OC -- not sure why someone would waste their time or energy arguing either part of that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by avhokie View Post
    Sorry, wasn't speaking about you. Most of those happy with the status quo (before the recent changes) spun in circles when presented with arguments that went against their views.

Quote Originally Posted by Pride_and_Joy View Post
    Acknowledging that Stinespring is one of our better recruiters has nothing to do with his incompetence as an OC. It is this all-or-nothing attitude that causes people to be labeled Stiney-defenders or Stiney-haters. The guy is a good recruiter and a bad OC -- not sure why someone would waste their time or energy arguing either part of that statement.
    If he's such a great recruiter, then why do we have far less talent on offense than we did 20 years ago when most of the country had no idea that we had a football program?