Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

The Best description of what's happened to LT3's NFL prospects I've seen.

From Grantland's article on the ACC's no good, very bad day of bowls:

• Despite having a typically stout defense (ranked fourth in the nation), Virginia Tech’s offense once again appeared more like a convoluted pyramid scheme to rob Logan Thomas of the NFL millions he once appeared destined to make.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosnowahokie View Post
    From Grantland's article on the ACC's no good, very bad day of bowls:
    Logan robbed himself of those NFL millions with the way he played in 2012 and 2013. You can't blame it on the coaches when its 2 straight years of stinking up the joint.
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

Whoever wrote that hasn't watch many VT games the last 2 years then. The other guys don't make the inaccurate passes, Logan does. As has been discussed over and over, his first year even with Wilson Boykin and Coale he still threw 10 or 11 ints. He's been TO prone his entire career.

You certainly can blame the coaches. How do you explain how a QB gets steadily worse

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Logan robbed himself of those NFL millions with the way he played in 2012 and 2013. You can't blame it on the coaches when its 2 straight years of stinking up the joint.
    LT had a very good first year as a starter, then offensive talent, WR coaching, and OL coaching got steadily worse in 2012 and 2013. When the offense is falling apart around the QB, the running game is nonexistent (absent the running of the QB), and websites compile lowlights of poor WR play, the QB has to feel hopeless.

Any time a kid comes out 11-3 in his first year, with a 135 QB rating, and then gets progressively worse over the next two years, I place a fair bit of blame on the coaches. And let's not forget that LT would have easily won that Sugar Bowl game if not for some of the worst coaching VT has every seen - and a crooked replay official.

VT has a long history of turning lead into gold when it comes to talent. We went the other way with LT.

Logan robbed himself [with] 2 straight years of stinking up the joint.
    smh.....
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    LT had a very good first year as a starter, then offensive talent, WR coaching, and OL coaching got steadily worse in 2012 and 2013. When the offense is falling apart around the QB, the running game is nonexistent (absent the running of the QB), and websites compile lowlights of poor WR play, the QB has to feel hopeless.

Any time a kid comes out 11-3 in his first year, with a 135 QB rating, and then gets progressively worse over the next two years, I place a fair bit of blame on the coaches. And let's not forget that LT would have easily won that Sugar Bowl game if not for some of the worst coaching VT has every seen - and a crooked replay official.

VT has a long history of turning lead into gold when it comes to talent. We went the other way with LT.
    Bingo. I won't argue that LT made less than stellar passes this year, but he really didn't have anyone to work with. People who want to continue to argue that LT should have been as good as 2011, really don't understand football is a team game.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosnowahokie View Post
    Bingo. I won't argue that LT made less than stellar passes this year, but he really didn't have anyone to work with.
    It is what it is at this point. There are people that think we have real talent on offense, but just haven't put "it" together. And, there are those who think we have no talent on offense. The crazy thing is, these are all people that watch every game we play.....

I have followed VT football closely since 2000, and the last two years was by far and away the lowest talent level we have had on the offensive side of the ball during that time. I am not sure why this is even a question in people's minds. When he had talent around him, Logan was really good. When he had no talent around him, he was very mediocre. Logan has not played with any NFL players during the last two years (present frosh potentially excluded).

Our crap recruiting (which goes back to the coaches) let Logan down. It let the program down. It let the fans down. Just call it what it is......we had three years of mailing it in on the recruiting trail and we are suffering......

Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
    It is what it is at this point. There are people that think we have real talent on offense, but just haven't put "it" together. And, there are those who think we have no talent on offense. The crazy thing is, these are all people that watch every game we play.....

I have followed VT football closely since 2000, and the last two years was by far and away the lowest talent level we have had on the offensive side of the ball during that time. I am not sure why this is even a question in people's minds. When he had talent around him, Logan was really good. When he had no talent around him, he was very mediocre. Logan has not played with any NFL players during the last two years (present frosh potentially excluded).

Our crap recruiting (which goes back to the coaches) let Logan down. It let the program down. It let the fans down. Just call it what it is......we had three years of mailing it in on the recruiting trail and we are suffering......
    Logan did nothing to make the guys around him play better. Those guys his first year bailed him out time and time again. When it was up to him, he just couldn't do it on his own. He was far too inconsistent to be a quality QB, and that more than anything is going to cost him.

Its one thing if he was consistently putting the ball on the numbers and the WRs were dropping them. But he wasn't. His throws were consistently all over the place during his career, and when he didn't have NFL talent around him bailing him out on these inconsistencies, these issues came front and center. Underthrows, overthrows, failing to lead the receiver, throwing behind the receiver... we saw all these issues throughout the last 2 seasons. I mean, we're in the last regular season game of his senior season, and he's still throwing bullet passes on short simple routes that need something taken off. At a certain point, you just can't blame coaches anymore.
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

Logan did nothing to make the guys around him play better. Those guys his first year bailed him out time and time again. When it was up to him, he just couldn't do it on his own. He was far too inconsistent to be a quality QB, and that more than anything is going to cost him.

Its one thing if he was consistently putting the ball on the numbers and the WRs were dropping them. But he wasn't. His throws were consistently all over the place during his career, and when he didn't have NFL talent around him bailing him out on these inconsistencies, these issues came front and center. Underthrows, overthrows, failing to lead the receiver, throwing behind the receiver... we saw all these issues throughout the last 2 seasons. I mean, we're in the last regular season game of his senior season, and he's still throwing bullet passes on short simple routes that need something taken off. At a certain point, you just can't blame coaches anymore.
    And this is what you and some others feel. I just happen to feel that is completely overblown and not completely accurate. Sure, Logan doesn't put every throw on the numbers and has made errors. Yeah, every quarterback does. But like you said, it stands out when LT does it because he is the only guy on the offense that is an actual playmaker. When he makes a mistake, it hurts twice as badly because we rely on him for everything.

Our WR crew has been mediocre AT BEST the last two years. They have had a lot of drops, but I would also argue their route running is severely lacking. Our best WR this year was a walk-on who played a lot of running back in high school. Our other two WR's were projects coming out of high school that were barely even ranked by Rivals. It's one thing for Logan to make the guys around him better. It's another thing for Logan to make the guys around him talented football players at their position. At some point, a coach might have to be involved, either on the recruiting end or the "coaching-them-up" end.

My argument is NOT that Logan is a great QB. My argument is that he was handcuffed by the lack of talent left in the program. By the time Bryan Randell got good, he had studs around him on offense. By the time Tyrod Taylor got good, he had studs around him on offense. By the time Logan's senior year rolled around (the same time the other two QB's got "good"), Logan had NOTHING around him. It's not fair to put that on Logan because he "couldn't make them better."

"NFL talent" in 2011? You do realize we had two offensive players drafted in 2012?

... and when he didn't have NFL talent around him bailing him out on these inconsistencies, these issues came front and center.
    And I don't think either is setting the NFL on fire. I'm not sure why you think that 2011 team was so loaded with NFL talent. It wasn't.