Passing % in 2014

Stats say VT threw a pass on 46.7% of it's offensive plays in 2014. I question how they arrived at that number. Sacks are recorded as a loss of rushing yards but a pass play was the call in the huddle. Seems that number is low.
    I would say VT called passing plays well over 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    Stats say VT threw a pass on 46.7% of it's offensive plays in 2014. I question how they arrived at that number. Sacks are recorded as a loss of rushing yards but a pass play was the call in the huddle. Seems that number is low.
    I would say VT called passing plays well over 50% of the time.
    if it's a "threw a pass" stat, then they arrived at it by dividing passes attempted by plays run (excluding punts/FG attempts I assume)

you seem to want "called a pass"...I'd say the best you're going to do there would be to be to add times sacked to the passes attempted. You still won't be exactly right because there will be QB runs on pass plays that ended in positive yardage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    if it's a "threw a pass" stat, then they arrived at it by dividing passes attempted by plays run (excluding punts/FG attempts I assume)

you seem to want "called a pass"...I'd say the best you're going to do there would be to be to add times sacked to the passes attempted. You still won't be exactly right because there will be QB runs on pass plays that ended in positive yardage.
    Still seems we were more of a passing team in 2013. I think that's interesting (and may say a lot) since Frank wants to run the ball and has run the ball 70% of the time in past seasons. Your claim that QB scrambles that ended in positive rushing yardage seems to support my theory that we were a passing team in 2013. We wanted to pass the ball but the play broke down and turned into a running play. Here again I think that's a big contrast with Frank wanting to run the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    Still seems we were more of a passing team in 2013. I think that's interesting (and may say a lot) since Frank wants to run the ball and has run the ball 70% of the time in past seasons. Your claim that QB scrambles that ended in positive rushing yardage seems to support my theory that we were a passing team in 2013. We wanted to pass the ball but the play broke down and turned into a running play. Here again I think that's a big contrast with Frank wanting to run the ball.
    Sure we were more of a passing team than we have been before.

Some of that may be a shift in the philosophy. Some of that may be that we weren't very good at running the ball (3.2 yards/carry is really bad) and we weren't often holding big leads and trying to milk the clock.

I think you may have to go back 10 or more years to find a 70% rushing team?

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    Sure we were more of a passing team than we have been before.

Some of that may be a shift in the philosophy. Some of that may be that we weren't very good at running the ball (3.2 yards/carry is really bad) and we weren't often holding big leads and trying to milk the clock.

I think you may have to go back 10 or more years to find a 70% rushing team?
    Those figures came from a Teel Time article linked on the home page.