Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Join Date
    November 07, 1999
    Posts
    8,652

    Sun Bowl to lose New Year's Eve spot

    Since next year's playoff games will be played on 12/31 and 1/1, the Sun Bowl will be bumped to a different date between 12/25 and 12/30.

    http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_24848532

  2. #2

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Location
    Blacksburg
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by VTChip View Post
    Since next year's playoff games will be played on 12/31 and 1/1, the Sun Bowl will be bumped to a different date between 12/25 and 12/30.

    http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_24848532
    Well, at least somebody else is also losing when it comes to the Sun Bowl.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    October 08, 1999
    Location
    Elkridge MD
    Posts
    21,003
    Does that article say that the President of Hyundai is also the mayor of El Paso? That seems odd.

    There hasn't been much discussion on the board about El Paso. I really enjoyed my time there. Of all the bowl games I have been to, that one had the most support from the locals. There were tons of locals there. The people in town were welcoming and friendly.

    It didn't have that "Texas" vibe you get in other parts of Texas, the arrogant "everything's bigger in Texas" attitude. The town is in a far outpost in the state, maybe even a little rundown in places but not in a bad way... it gave it a kind of a smalltown feel you don't get in a lot of bigger destinations. Had some great food and drink, every local person (cabdrivers, bartenders) we interacted with was friendly.

    I'd definitely go back.
    SteveA

  4. #4

    Join Date
    November 07, 1999
    Posts
    8,652
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveInBaltimore View Post
    Does that article say that the President of Hyundai is also the mayor of El Paso? That seems odd.

    There hasn't been much discussion on the board about El Paso. I really enjoyed my time there. Of all the bowl games I have been to, that one had the most support from the locals. There were tons of locals there. The people in town were welcoming and friendly.

    It didn't have that "Texas" vibe you get in other parts of Texas, the arrogant "everything's bigger in Texas" attitude. The town is in a far outpost in the state, maybe even a little rundown in places but not in a bad way... it gave it a kind of a smalltown feel you don't get in a lot of bigger destinations. Had some great food and drink, every local person (cabdrivers, bartenders) we interacted with was friendly.

    I'd definitely go back.
    Steve, I agree with you about El Paso. Actually I just sent a letter to the Sun Bowl chairman as well as the newspaper thanking them for the hospitiality.

    We've gone to all 21 bowl games in the current streak and found the people of El Paso to be the best anywhere. We had a number of locals come up to us on the street and welcome us to the city and they seemed sincerely appreciative of our attendance. I also thought FanFest was great and the fireworks show was as good as I've ever seen.

    All around good job by the fine folks of El Paso. I would attend another bowl game there in a heartbeat.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    October 08, 1999
    Location
    Elkridge MD
    Posts
    21,003
    Quote Originally Posted by VTChip View Post
    Steve, I agree with you about El Paso. Actually I just sent a letter to the Sun Bowl chairman as well as the newspaper thanking them for the hospitiality.

    We've gone to all 21 bowl games in the current streak and found the people of El Paso to be the best anywhere. We had a number of locals come up to us on the street and welcome us to the city and they seemed sincerely appreciative of our attendance. I also thought FanFest was great and the fireworks show was as good as I've ever seen.

    All around good job by the fine folks of El Paso. I would attend another bowl game there in a heartbeat.
    All 21! Impressive. I've made it to 18. I missed the ones in Arizona and San Francisco due to travel cost, timing (too close to Xmas), and other circumstances. Would have gone to the Auburn Sugar Bowl if my father hadn't passed away about a week before it.
    SteveA

  6. #6
    Poorly written article in regards to the mayor. The mayor is the President of the local Hyundai dealership, not of Hyundai itself. Where do these people go to journalism school?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •