Link from Chat Board regarding Orange Bowl profits and losses.

The author does a good job of walking through the accounting, showing that it is profitable for schools to go to bowls, as much as everyone cries otherwise.

http://regressing.deadspin.com/teams...&utm_source=de
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post
    The author does a good job of walking through the accounting, showing that it is profitable for schools to go to bowls, as much as everyone cries otherwise.

Oh, there's non doubt the BCS bowls were at least profittable, even with awful unsold ticket policies. But, many/most of the others may not be. When you look at the 2-3 million in expenses, only the decent to good bowls actually turn a profit for the league. I will say that the small loss incurred of sending Pitt to a bowl game is still probably worth it for the league.

Anyhow, this is hardly news. The Advocare Bowl will probably actually result in a net loss for the ACC and the participating teams most seasons, but it's decent exposure. And the playoffs, and 4 other major bowls involved, are going to immediately take league/team profits into another stratosphere. It's amazing it took so long for them to happen really. The bowl rep schmoozing of ADs, Presidents, and Commissioners bought them 5-10 years IMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post

My issue is that bowl payouts are equal for all teams whether or not they play in a bowl game or not; however, once unreimbursed expenses are taken into account, it is actually a financial penalty to a program to go to a bowl game. Then you add in the bonuses paid to coaches for bowl attendance and it's a pretty crappy financial deal to go to a bowl game versus staying home.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ was Broke View Post
    My issue is that bowl payouts are equal for all teams whether or not they play in a bowl game or not; however, once unreimbursed expenses are taken into account, it is actually a financial penalty to a program to go to a bowl game. Then you add in the bonuses paid to coaches for bowl attendance and it's a pretty crappy financial deal to go to a bowl game versus staying home.
    So you're saying UVA has been ripping off VT & the rest of the ACC for years?
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Banned
    Basically, yes.