Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tricket and Fisher started in 2007. FSU had relatively 3 "poor" seasons with awful OL play until they broke through in 2011. It takes a lot longer to revamp an OL system (philosophy, recruiting, development, etc.) than most people here think and I don't believe anyone here thinks we can recruit on the same level as FSU.
    I believe we will be in for a rough stretch for next 3 years, next year specifically. We were at the same baseline in 2013 as FSU was in 2007. It may not be until 2016 - 7 until the offense / OL is where we want it to be.
    I don't see Beamer sticking it out for that long or our fan base. We've already seen a steady decline in Hokie Club membership and experienced our 1st season in a long time not selling out season tickets.

are you serious? some are already calling for the oc's head.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer74 View Post
    Tricket and Fisher started in 2007. FSU had relatively 3 "poor" seasons with awful OL play until they broke through in 2011. It takes a lot longer to revamp an OL system (philosophy, recruiting, development, etc.) than most people here think and I don't believe anyone here thinks we can recruit on the same level as FSU.
    I believe we will be in for a rough stretch for next 3 years, next year specifically. We were at the same baseline in 2013 as FSU was in 2007. It may not be until 2016 - 7 until the offense / OL is where we want it to be.
    I don't see Beamer sticking it out for that long or our fan base. We've already seen a steady decline in Hokie Club membership and experienced our 1st season in a long time not selling out season tickets.
    Why do people keep saying next year will be worse? We return 4 of 5 starters add add in talent. It almost
    has to improve barring injury

Well next season, Grimes will have six seniors from the previous regime as well as a few underclassmen in the two- deep (McLaughlin, Conte, and Smith). So 2014, I would expect we'll just see better play from Newsome's old recruits.

In 2015, Grimes will potentially have ten guys from before Grimes' hiring and five in his 2014 class. Right now, the 2015 would seem to be McLaughlin, Smith, Willenbrook, Conti, and Chung, Teller and Osterloh fighting for the fifth starting spot.

Bottom line, we're at least three years away from Grimes first batch of recruits having any impact at all. That means Grimes success relies upon coaching the guys up that he inherited.

I also imagine that Grimes is the guy Loeffler wants to coach his OL to run his offense. I think if Tech can have an offense ranked in the 70s in 2014 and one in the 50s in 2015, the fans will be happy.

Agreed. We just want to see progress. I think we saw some this year. But Logan really wasn't Leftys type of QB nor was any of the running backs and the linemen weren't grimes style. So they basically just did what they could with what they had. Next year should be a good measuring stick of what they are trying to accomplish

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie1992 View Post
    Well next season, Grimes will have six seniors from the previous regime as well as a few underclassmen in the two- deep (McLaughlin, Conte, and Smith). So 2014, I would expect we'll just see better play from Newsome's old recruits.

In 2015, Grimes will potentially have ten guys from before Grimes' hiring and five in his 2014 class. Right now, the 2015 would seem to be McLaughlin, Smith, Willenbrook, Conti, and Chung, Teller and Osterloh fighting for the fifth starting spot.

Bottom line, we're at least three years away from Grimes first batch of recruits having any impact at all. That means Grimes success relies upon coaching the guys up that he inherited.

I also imagine that Grimes is the guy Loeffler wants to coach his OL to run his offense. I think if Tech can have an offense ranked in the 70s in 2014 and one in the 50s in 2015, the fans will be happy.

IMO, Grimes has earned any benefit of doubt. Plus, he has to perfrom major surgery

on a near terminal patient.

Trickett's OLs struggled the 1st few years until he developed his recruits. I'm not sure our fan base will have the same patience to hang in there for the next 2-3 years.
    Drink better than eat.....eat better than no drink.

Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    If the coaching staff publicly (in some form or another) comes out and tell the fan base "this is what we want to do and this is how we plan to do it" and back up the statements with their actions, then I believe the fan base will give the OL 2-3 years. Where a coaching staff starts to lose the fans' support (generally speaking) is when they say one thing and do something the complete opposite. For example if the coaching staff says it wants to run an uptempo spread offense, but targets recruits that are better suited for a power running game, then the fan base will start to question what the coaching staff is trying to accomplish. It is next to impossible to target recruits that are all equally suited to run every kind of offensive scheme you can imagine.
    The fan base can go fan themselves. The folks in the cheap seats ain't paying the bills and should just...shut...up!

Quote Originally Posted by hojo View Post
    The fan base can go fan themselves. The folks in the cheap seats ain't paying the bills and should just...shut...up!
    wow! This is really an interesting post. Wonder what your other 5 posts look like.

Quote Originally Posted by hojo View Post
    A coach, who takes that attitude towards a school's fan base, will find the entire tenure to be on shaky ground and probably not a long one.

Trickett's OLs struggled the 1st few years until he developed his recruits. I'm not sure our fan base will have the same patience to hang in there for the next 2-3 years.
    I'm not sure it really matters.

History tells us that even if the new offensive staff is a complete failure they'll still be here for at least a decade. Or until Beamer retires, whatever comes first.