Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will VT fans be patient with Grimes OL development as FSU was with Tricket?

Trickett's OLs struggled the 1st few years until he developed his recruits. I'm not sure our fan base will have the same patience to hang in there for the next 2-3 years.

Is there an alternative to patience that will make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer74 View Post
    Trickett's OLs struggled the 1st few years until he developed his recruits. I'm not sure our fan base will have the same patience to hang in there for the next 2-3 years.

If the coaching staff publicly (in some form or another) comes out and tell the fan base "this is what we want to do and this is how we plan to do it" and back up the statements with their actions, then I believe the fan base will give the OL 2-3 years. Where a coaching staff starts to lose the fans' support (generally speaking) is when they say one thing and do something the complete opposite. For example if the coaching staff says it wants to run an uptempo spread offense, but targets recruits that are better suited for a power running game, then the fan base will start to question what the coaching staff is trying to accomplish. It is next to impossible to target recruits that are all equally suited to run every kind of offensive scheme you can imagine.

Why would we be less patient than FSU fans?

I think people will be. He basically recruited the Auburn OL. Look at them.

We had a terrible OL coach before Grimes showed up. I think people see the light at the end of the tunnel.

It only matters what the AD, President, and top 15 donors say. Nobody will give a crap about the fans patience.

Quote Originally Posted by 48tnhokie View Post
    It only matters what the AD, President, and top 15 donors say. Nobody will give a crap about the fans patience.
    This is the bottom line, end of story, truth.

How did FSU do over the 2010-12 timeframe?

Quote Originally Posted by hokeyhokie View Post
    Is there an alternative to patience that will make a difference?
    Hokie fans are famous for their patience. It just has a very short fuse.

We absolutely better be patient. OL is one of the positions where it takes years to develop. The OL is equal parts teamwork, technique, and attitude. That doesn't typically develop over the course of a year. Or frankly even two. We did see flashes of solid OL play at time this year (including in the Alabama game). But we couldn't consistently put it together. But Grimes's guys are trickling in. I think we'll see more of the same in 2014 as we did in 2013. And hopefully we can break out by 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by VTECHFAN View Post
    We absolutely better be patient. OL is one of the positions where it takes years to develop. The OL is equal parts teamwork, technique, and attitude. That doesn't typically develop over the course of a year. Or frankly even two. We did see flashes of solid OL play at time this year (including in the Alabama game). But we couldn't consistently put it together. But Grimes's guys are trickling in. I think we'll see more of the same in 2014 as we did in 2013. And hopefully we can break out by 2015.
    Agreed. That's what it most likely be. I'm expecting more of the same on the OL next year. The scary part is I don't think we have a QB al Tyrod or Logan that can make chicken salad out of it.