Plain and Simple. We lack playmakers across the board.

Set the offense aside and analyze our defense. We used to put points on the board with our defense and special teams. I think we still have a great defensive system and coach, but we lack the playmakers to really take it to the next level.

Offensively we lack both playmakers and a system.

Quote Originally Posted by scrvbllgy14 View Post
    Set the offense aside and analyze our defense. We used to put points on the board with our defense and special teams. I think we still have a great defensive system and coach, but we lack the playmakers to really take it to the next level.

We have some playmakers on defense for the next few years. Fuller, Facyson, Dadi, and Vandyke (if he can stay healthy). Add guys like Fisher, etc. and we should be alright.

I agree that there are no playmakers on offense. Hopefully our recruiting will pay off with our new coaches. We have a couple of big RBs coming in and that's a start.

I think Beamer's conservative style hurts playmaking. Our special teams have taking a step back and I think it is due to coaching. We don't go after kicks like we used to.

Look at the offenses of the big bowl games this year. Playmakers AND aggressive play calling. Beamer has to adjust big time.

That's what recruiting is for. We have multiple WR recruits who look like playmakers. I think Stanford showed he could be vs Miami and will develop into one.
    Trey was becoming one before he got hurt

Playmakers WERE on the defense this year, not really on the Offense.

Quote Originally Posted by scrvbllgy14 View Post

Wow. What a year - sigh. Never before have my eyes been SO opened to the calamity of injuries than this year. I know they've always been around, but this year in particular strikes me as amazing. RVD, KFuller, EXUM, Malleck, T Edmunds, JC Coleman, and even the invincible LT during the bowl. Who else have I missed? Is that enough?

I've posted endlessly about the value of Kyle Fuller. Our record in his absence is the evidence. But that's just the beginning. He, like great performers in any genre (music comes to mind) makes those around them BETTER. He was a PLAYMAKER and made Faycson a playmaker as well as his brother.

THE Offense had NO ONE other than LT - the guys that made plays were the ONLY options, but make no mistake, the paperboy and Stanford and Knowles and JCC are NOT STARS - they're just guys that went out and did their best. This team has had an NFL caliber RB for years before 12 and 13, and now we don't.

Those calling for Leal learned a great lesson in humility. LT was the best thing we had going on O. Coles was a would of, could of. Knowles is/was a track star. JCC is too small for this league. Stanford showed his poor hands in the bowl game (though hid did improve during the year). Paperboy had hands but limited in big play potential. Cline could catch but weak in blocking.

In short, the offense had LT, who was inconsistent, and NOTHING ELSE. Rough year - hope they can get in some horses. I don't buy into ANY of the recruiting hype. I think of too many of these STRONG MEN linemen that barely ever cracked the first string.

Sorry to be FRANK about it, but the O (and special teams) BLOWS currently. Also, the SPIN about "give it time" --- please make me eat my words with the future success but I'm not banking on it.

I have a line on a solid RB prospect. Two questions...

I'm in Texas, would the coaching staff be interested?

How would I get word to the right people?

Quote Originally Posted by Marooned View Post
    I'm in Texas, would the coaching staff be interested?

How would I get word to the right people?
    Most players have a highlight DVD for recruiting purposes. If he's got one, send it to Stiney.