Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    Quote Originally Posted by XFactor11 View Post
    Thanks y'all. I understand how it being a dead ball foul means the penalty is assessed when Ohio State takes possession.

I don't understand is why that would be considered a dead ball foul. Makes me want to go pick up a rule book and figure out what other little things have escaped me.
    It is dead ball because it happened after the play was over and thus accessed after the change of possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    It is dead ball because it happened after the play was over and thus accessed after the change of possession.

Yeah I understand how that works. Just surprised it goes to a dead ball foul so quickly, he had only taken a step or two out of bounds. It just seems to me that some rules condtradict one another.

For instance, if a player catches a ball on fourth down he must maintain position through the catch even if it takes him out of bounds. In this case the play extends, albeit momentarily, out of bounds.

Shouldn't the same be the case on a late hit out of bounds on a fourth down play?

In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    Quote Originally Posted by XFactor11 View Post
    Yeah I understand how that works. Just surprised it goes to a dead ball foul so quickly, he had only taken a step or two out of bounds. It just seems to me that some rules condtradict one another.

For instance, if a player catches a ball on fourth down he must maintain position through the catch even if it takes him out of bounds. In this case the play extends, albeit momentarily, out of bounds.

Shouldn't the same be the case on a late hit out of bounds on a fourth down play?
    I really don't get the confusion. One play is obviously dead and one is obviously live. After all, the catch isn't completed until the player hits the ground (regardless of in-bounds or out); however, once a live player steps out of bounds, the play is dead and penalties afterwards are dead ball.

Clemson is desperately trying to Clemson this game.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

Yes! The ACC finally gets a big BCS win... first time since FSU's national championship over... ahem.

Hopefully FSU makes it two big ACC BCS wins in a few days. And a national title.