Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For those watching Clemson vs Ohio State

Why did Ohio State end up with the ball following the 4th down stop?

They stopped the Clemson player short of the marker, but wouldn't the late hit out of bounds give Clemson the automatic first down?

Quote Originally Posted by XFactor11 View Post

They stopped the Clemson player short of the marker, but wouldn't the late hit out of bounds give Clemson the automatic first down?
    After the play was over .., the PF occurred

I didn't realize that was the rule either.....seems like if roughing the kicker is an automatic first, that would be too. I know the roughing is during the play but possession has already been given up at point, same as this situation.

Oh well, learn something new....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    "The Hokies won an outright ACC championship during their first year in the conference. That's a feat Tech's in-state neighbor to the north has never accomplished in 52 seasons. For the record, it took Tech 12 weeks."

In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats

Dead ball foul is accessed after the play is concluded. The play concluded with Ohio State with the ball. 15 yards enforced from there.

Quote Originally Posted by ME Hokie 07 View Post
    I didn't realize that was the rule either.....seems like if roughing the kicker is an automatic first, that would be too. I know the roughing is during the play but possession has already been given up at point, same as this situation.

Oh well, learn something new....

Roughing the kicker is not a dead ball foul. This was not a live ball penalty, so the penalty is accessed after the play is concluded and Ohio State had the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    Roughing the kicker is not a dead ball foul. This was not a live ball penalty, so the penalty is accessed after the play is concluded and Ohio State had the ball.
    Yeah I get it by that rationale, just saying, there is another way to look at it

"The Hokies won an outright ACC championship during their first year in the conference. That's a feat Tech's in-state neighbor to the north has never accomplished in 52 seasons. For the record, it took Tech 12 weeks."

Yeah I get it by that rationale, just saying, there is another way to look at it

Possession also changes sometimes on an interference when the pass is picked off.

Knowledge is good.

-Emil Faber
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Thanks y'all. I understand how it being a dead ball foul means the penalty is assessed when Ohio State takes possession.

I don't understand is why that would be considered a dead ball foul. Makes me want to go pick up a rule book and figure out what other little things have escaped me.

Clemson running the jet sweep just like VT did.

Uhm. No there isn't. There are live ball fouls and dead ball fouls. They are accessed differently.