Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

? Wow that has the be the weirdest reason for changing coaches I have ever heard.
    That's just weird man.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Depending on how things play out with the other ACC programs, then I would agree with you. However, if there are a lot of big news changes that shine the spotlight on the other programs and GT becomes an afterthought, then the AD may feel pressured to shake things up.

In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    Quote Originally Posted by helluvaeng96 View Post
    ? Wow that has the be the weirdest reason for changing coaches I have ever heard.
    That's just weird man.
    Yeah, but PJ's record at GT especially against VT and UGa doesn't really give you much reason to retain him either.... (And the fact that the Sun Bowl last year was his first ever win against a FBS when the team has more than a week to prepare for GT!)

Quote Originally Posted by helluvaeng96 View Post
    That's just weird man.
    I can't say whether it is the weirdest reason to change coaches or not. However, 1 of the reasons Texas ran Brown out of town is because Texas A&M and Baylor were starting to gain more attention and taking the spotlight away from the Texas program. The boosters and the school believes that a change at head coach will create a splash for the program and help bring the attention back to Texas "where it belongs" (their mindset). There are other reasons they want a change at head coach, but ultimately all those reasons will eventually lead you back the wanting the spotlight. If it can happen at Texas, then it can happen at just about any other school. If a big name booster is willing to pony up the cash or threaten to take the cash away, then you don't think an AD will listen to the booster? Now I am not suggesting there couldn't be other factors that also lead to the AD decision. Heck the AD may have only been 50-50 on whether the head coach should remain for 1 more year or not. Another possibility is the buyout is too much right now, so the head coach has to remain for at least 1 more year (as a lame duck) to reduce the buyout. If a program has enough wealthy boosters to cover most of the difference, then it is possible that the AD can cover the rest to avoid a lame duck situation and terminate the head coach 1 year early.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Which means Fisher and Strong are still in play for the job. If Texas is looking to hire someone with a connection to the program, then Will Muschamp may be a dark horse candidate. I know he is coming off a bad season at UF, but I am not sure that really matters to Texas. FSU fans would be thrilled if Texas were to hire Muschamp, but I am not sure Louisville fans would be because most likely UF would hire Strong (given the connection). If Golden leaves for Penn State, then I think Strong would become the favorite to take that job. So it looks like there is a real good chance that Louisville may have to find a new head coach. Could that open the door for Foster to become the next head coach at Louisville (assuming Louisville is interested)? Would Foster take the job (if offered)? Just imagine what that would do to the Louisville-VT rivalry especially if the divisions are realigned so both end up in the same division.
    For what it's worth, reports are out that Strong is about to be named the next coach at Texas, which would eliminate him from contention from a theoretical opening at Miami. And IMO, Louisville would not be interested in Foster.

Quote Originally Posted by VTECHFAN View Post
    For what it's worth, reports are out that Strong is about to be named the next coach at Texas, which would eliminate him from contention from a theoretical opening at Miami. And IMO, Louisville would not be interested in Foster.
    Foster needs to coach one more year to collect his 800,000+? He's not going anywhere. Plus, he has rode this long with Beamer... he'll stay until he retires. Loyalty goes both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoakie82 View Post
    Foster needs to coach one more year to collect his 800,000+? He's not going anywhere. Plus, he has rode this long with Beamer... he'll stay until he retires. Loyalty goes both ways.
    If Louisville were to offer Bud the job, you bet your rear he'd be gone. An ACC head coaching job that would pay a BARE MINIMUM $1.5 mil (he'd make up the difference of that annuity in one year). But the fact is that Louisville isn't going to do that.

The coaching carousel is about to get interesting though. Strong leaving Louisville which is going to open a job there. Word is that Al Golden has an offer to take the PSU job (and if true, is better than 50-50 IMO that he takes it). IMO, Miami would hire Tommy Tuberville (a safe choice and still young enough to stay a while... not sure he isn't an upgrade over Golden). As for Louisville, it might not be a bad landing spot for Kirby Smart (who IMO is going to finally move on now that it's clear that Saban is the man there for the next 5-8 years).

[QUOTE=VTECHFAN;894841]If Louisville were to offer Bud the job, you bet your rear he'd be gone. An ACC head coaching job that would pay a BARE MINIMUM $1.5 mil (he'd make up the difference of that annuity in one year). But the fact is that Louisville isn't going to do that.

In my opinion, you don't make that up, you basically paying yourself for loss income. Strongs buyout would cover Buds annuity. IF Bud were offered the job, and Louisville REALLY wanted him, they would/could make that number his signing bonus. If I was Bud, that's the only way I'd go. I make a half mil now, got over 3/4 of a mil coming next year, and I do what I do without interference from anyone. I'm going to make 1.5 mil over the next 3 years. Lets not forget, if i'm not mistaken, Bud has a roll over in his contract, so even the year FB announces his retirement, Buds getting paid the next year, if i understand the process. I would not walk away from the annuity without it being part of my signing bonus. This is my opinion, and don't think he will even be in play at Louisville.

[QUOTE=48tnhokie;894876]
    Quote Originally Posted by VTECHFAN View Post
    If Louisville were to offer Bud the job, you bet your rear he'd be gone. An ACC head coaching job that would pay a BARE MINIMUM $1.5 mil (he'd make up the difference of that annuity in one year). But the fact is that Louisville isn't going to do that.

In my opinion, you don't make that up, you basically paying yourself for loss income. Strongs buyout would cover Buds annuity. IF Bud were offered the job, and Louisville REALLY wanted him, they would/could make that number his signing bonus. If I was Bud, that's the only way I'd go. I make a half mil now, got over 3/4 of a mil coming next year, and I do what I do without interference from anyone. I'm going to make 1.5 mil over the next 3 years. Lets not forget, if i'm not mistaken, Bud has a roll over in his contract, so even the year FB announces his retirement, Buds getting paid the next year, if i understand the process. I would not walk away from the annuity without it being part of my signing bonus. This is my opinion, and don't think he will even be in play at Louisville.
    If Bud truly wants to be a HC, he's not going to get a better shot than Lville (except VT maybe) so he would have to jump on it regardless of his annuity. If you want to be a HC you don't stick around for $800,000...

L-ville bumped Strong's salary to keep there last year. But the rumor has Texas paying Strong five million. I would think L-ville would have to come up with at least three million a year to get Bud. There is no reason Bud wouldn't price his services for another program at the price Texas is offering Strong. So bottom line, l-ville might be a good job for Bud and they would like to have him. But it doesn't sound like L-ville has the money to draw him from Blacksburg.

The most relevant part of Strong leaving Louisville, for Virginia Tech's perspective, is that they may be able to grab one of their current commits.