Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 4m
    Word is #GaTech coach Paul Johnson is not happy with the school. Hopes they buy him out, according to a source.
    Johnson has now issued a statement in response:

Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson refuted a Twitter post from CBS Sports columnist Bruce Feldman that indicated Johnson was not happy at Tech and was hoping his contract would be bought out.

Johnson’s statement: “The rumors on social media are not true. I plan on being the head coach at Georgia Tech into the future. I look forward to finishing up recruiting and getting ready for the 2014 season.”

Feldman's Twitter post read, "Word is #GaTech coach Paul Johnson is not happy with the school. Hopes they buy him out, according to a source." It followed the school's confirmation Friday that quarterback Vad Lee has decided to transfer following his first year as starter.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/georgia-t...-buyout-rumor/
    Last edited by VTChip; Sat Jan 04 2014 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie1992 View Post
    I would think L-ville would have to come up with at least three million a year to get Bud.
    Are you on drugs on man? No way can Bud command $3,000,00 a year. He's never been a HC. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by NokieHokie View Post
    Are you on drugs on man? No way can Bud command $3,000,00 a year. He's never been a HC. LOL
    Foster's base salary is probably not be $3 million (at least I wouldn't pay that for a first time HC), but I believe there could be incentive clauses in his contract that could potentially flirt with the $2-3 million range.

[QUOTE=NokieHokie;894884]
    Quote Originally Posted by 48tnhokie View Post

If Bud truly wants to be a HC, he's not going to get a better shot than Lville (except VT maybe) so he would have to jump on it regardless of his annuity. If you want to be a HC you don't stick around for $800,000...
    I agree with you. Although if I was a younger Foster, then I would have probably opened up the pool to include a few high profile mid-majors that are not too far away from competing against a lower power conference school. Given his age and his desire to be a HC at a BCS/power conference school, his window of opportunity is getting smaller and smaller. Also, given the timing of Weaver's retirement, I am not sure Foster can now count on the new AD hiring him to be the next HC at VT. He does have a few years to build a working relationship with the new AD. However, if the new AD is an outsider, then I won't be shocked if the new AD decides to make a fresh start/go in a new direction once Beamer decides to retire.

Not too many rational jacket fans bemoan his games vs the leg humpers. One win and for the most part they've been darn close. Too bad UVA is not our rival .

Our record vs vpi and Miami is only disconcerting when viewed in the light of how those games have been lost.

Think it's safe to say he is not going anywhere. Biggest question for me is, does the d continue to improve or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    Yeah, but PJ's record at GT especially against VT and UGa doesn't really give you much reason to retain him either.... (And the fact that the Sun Bowl last year was his first ever win against a FBS when the team has more than a week to prepare for GT!)
    Last edited by helluvaeng96; Sat Jan 04 2014 at 09:25 PM.

Well fair enough, but correlating Texas bloated egos to the jackets may not work. Comparing Texas huge fan base, recruiting advantages, etc is pretty flattering. But not sure if we can be an engineering school and have those too.

Not saying jackets can't do well. We are are in the middle of our best run since Dodd graced the side lines. From when b$&& l$&,&( was shown the door till now has mostly been roses for us.

Certainly no reason to think the wheels are falling off.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I can't say whether it is the weirdest reason to change coaches or not. However, 1 of the reasons Texas ran Brown out of town is because Texas A&M and Baylor were starting to gain more attention and taking the spotlight away from the Texas program. The boosters and the school believes that a change at head coach will create a splash for the program and help bring the attention back to Texas "where it belongs" (their mindset). There are other reasons they want a change at head coach, but ultimately all those reasons will eventually lead you back the wanting the spotlight. If it can happen at Texas, then it can happen at just about any other school. If a big name booster is willing to pony up the cash or threaten to take the cash away, then you don't think an AD will listen to the booster? Now I am not suggesting there couldn't be other factors that also lead to the AD decision. Heck the AD may have only been 50-50 on whether the head coach should remain for 1 more year or not. Another possibility is the buyout is too much right now, so the head coach has to remain for at least 1 more year (as a lame duck) to reduce the buyout. If a program has enough wealthy boosters to cover most of the difference, then it is possible that the AD can cover the rest to avoid a lame duck situation and terminate the head coach 1 year early.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 4m
    Word is #GaTech coach Paul Johnson is not happy with the school. Hopes they buy him out, according to a source.

With Golden being on the short list for Penn St (and likely the favorite), the Coastal could go through a massive shakeup this offseason.
    PJ's buyout is too high. They can't afford it right now. He got big raises after beating UGA several years ago, and another after winning the ACC championship they had to vacate. Plus they're still paying Paul Hewitt, I believe. He'll be there until his buyout is lowered, though they'll probably get rid of him then.

Quote Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
    PJ's buyout is too high. They can't afford it right now. He got big raises after beating UGA several years ago, and another after winning the ACC championship they had to vacate. Plus they're still paying Paul Hewitt, I believe. He'll be there until his buyout is lowered, though they'll probably get rid of him then.
    I see PJ has 3 years left on his contract and that his buyout is $7.5 mil. Is that the full length/salary of his current contract? If so, that IS really hefty. And all the more reason that these knee jerk raises are just plain crazy. Look at the hole UVA ended up in after they gave Groh a big extension. Aren't they STILL paying him? And Leitao?

With that in mind, I don't think the GT program can afford another 7-6 season with the same face at the helm. And I think even with the buyout in mind, they will fire him if they have another 7-5 type regular season. Especially if that season carries with it more losses to VT, Miami, and UGA.

Quote Originally Posted by helluvaeng96 View Post
    Well fair enough, but correlating Texas bloated egos to the jackets may not work. Comparing Texas huge fan base, recruiting advantages, etc is pretty flattering. But not sure if we can be an engineering school and have those too.

Not saying jackets can't do well. We are are in the middle of our best run since Dodd graced the side lines. From when b$&& l$&,&( was shown the door till now has mostly been roses for us.

Certainly no reason to think the wheels are falling off.
    If GT decides to get rid of Johnson, then it won't be because they think the wheels are falling off. Most likely it will be due to people thinking PJ has hit his ceiling and taken the program as far as he could. Would most Jacket fans be ok if PJ wins 7-8 games a year, lose the bowl game, and ends up with a losing record against Clemson, FSU, UGA, and VT? Or would there come a point where most fans would want a change at the helm? If PJ has a winning record at GT and the fans still want a change, then in that regards they would be no different than Texas or Nebraska (see the way Zolich was ran out of town).