Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Its not about time of possession. Its about tempo and pace of consecutive plays. When teams run a fast pace, no-huddle offense (see Auburn, Oregon, etc.) the defense can't substitute. Many of these offenses look to stretch the field horizontally with a lot of WR screens. So, you've got 300 pound defensive tackles and 260 pound defensive ends who are trying to rush the passer and then trying to pursue to the outside on all the horizontal offense. These guys get worn out after 7 or 8 plays of running all over the field. With no opportunity to substitute, the offense then runs the ball right up the gut passed a gassed defensive line. That's essentially the strategy.

Yes, letting your defense rest between series is helpful. But 300 pound guys aren't accustomed to running 20 or 30 yards per play for 8 straight plays. If that starts to happen, it really doesn't matter how much rest they got before the series started. All that said, I still think the point stands. A ball control offense can help keep the defense RELATIVELY rested and can keep a potent offense holding their helmets on the sideline. Shortening the game and limiting possessions can keep a lower scoring offense within striking distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    Except, why? I mean... If you can keep your offense out on the field for 8 or 9 minutes at a time, why can't your defense stop the other team and get a rest while the offense is out on the field? Keep this generic... forget about how badly our offense currently sucks. I'm talking about the game in general. You play strong, ball-control offense and dominating defense. If your defense is forcing a punt in six or fewer plays, why would they ever be worn out as long as your offense can hold onto the football for 8 or 9 minutes at a time, whether you score 0, 3 or 7?

A rested defense doesn't wear, and if they don't wear, they don't give up a lot of points. If you play it right, each team gets 7 or 8 possessions. When you're offense is really on its game, you win 56-0. When you struggle, you win 10-0 or 7-0. The point is, you control the football and the clock and with a great defense, you simply cannot lose. It doesn't matter what kind of offense the other team is running if you have that kind of control of the game.

Guess I'm just not letting go of the idea that a great defense will hold much more often than not. That's what makes them great. If the opponent is only getting 7 or 8 possessions and not scoring on all but two of them, then the ball control team, scoring at least a FG on most possessions, should win it every time.
    one thing that goes against the offense you are talking about is the fan base. They will always, always be complaining about a boring offense no matter how many games they win.

Quote Originally Posted by Pride_and_Joy View Post
    Shortening the game and limiting possessions can keep a lower scoring offense within striking distance.
    The problem is the offense still has to be able to strike when it's in striking. Ours isn't and hasn't for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    Want to see what an explosive offense can do for you? I present Baylor and Texas A&m the last 2-3 years. You're never out of the game with an offense like that.
    And where exactly has it gotten them? When the rubber meets the road- they can't stop anybody. I present Stanford and Michigan State as teams that get it done the other way.

Guess I'm just not letting go of the idea that a great defense will hold much more often than not. That's what makes them great.
    i'm not so sure i believe in great defenses anymore (maybe b/c of the type of offenses now). as good as some of VT defenses have been, we haven't had a great defense in a while. or at least a consistently great defense. we've had way too many bad games and give up way too many big plays to be considered great. see below. i realize the defensive rankings. those were all highly ranked defenses and we still coughed up a lot of points and big plays. imo, we just aren't consistently great enough on defense to bail out a ball control offense that fails to score enough touchdowns in the red zone and has way too many 3 and outs.

-27 to MD
    -34 to BC
    -42 to UCLA

-48 to UNC
    -38 to Clemson
    -27 to Cincinnati

-35 to Miami
    -38 to Clemson
    -26 to GT

-33 to Boise St
    -30 to NCSU
    -33 to FSU
    -40 to Stanford
    Last edited by vthokiedsp; Fri Jan 03 2014 at 03:16 PM.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    +1 the game has swung dramatically to offense and if you don't keep up you cannot compete. Cannot win 17 10 anymore against the big boys
    Amen, and that goes double for the pros. I remember back in the old days when people's minds were blown when Dan Marino put up 5000 yards and 48 touchdown passes. Such numbers had been unheard of to that point and wouldn't be reached again for many years afterwards. Nowadays, it's taken for granted that around two or three QB's are going to put up those kinds of numbers every year. And those are the guys that college QBs with dreams of NFL stardom want to emulate.

Quote Originally Posted by BROman Hokie View Post
    And where exactly has it gotten them? When the rubber meets the road- they can't stop anybody. I present Stanford and Michigan State as teams that get it done the other way.
    Who cares? They don't have Bud Foster, we do.

Bud plus an explosive offense and look out college football world here comes VT!

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    i'm not so sure i believe in great defenses anymore. as good as some of VT defenses have been, we haven't had a great defense in a while. or at least a consistently great defense. we've had way too many bad games and give up way too many big plays to be considered great. see below. i realize the defensive rankings. those were all highly ranked defenses and we still coughed up a lot of points and big plays.

imo, we just aren't consistently great enough on defense to bail out a ball control offense that fails to score enough touchdowns in the red zone and has way too many 3 and outs.
    Those rankkings are still relative to everyone else. So that should tell you that OFFENSES ARE DOING THAT TO EVERYBODY THESE DAYS.

And that's not the defense's fault IMO. I don't think any defense is that good to continually cover up for our O and STs anymore than Foster has...

Quote Originally Posted by NokieHokie View Post
    Those rankkings are still relative to everyone else. So that should tell you that OFFENSES ARE DOING THAT TO EVERYBODY THESE DAYS.

And that's not the defense's fault IMO. I don't think any defense is that good to continually cover up for our O and STs anymore than Foster has...
    looks like you quoted me before i was able to save a revision.

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    i'm not so sure i believe in great defenses anymore (maybe b/c of the type of offenses now).
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by BROman Hokie View Post
    There's a lot more teams going the Baylor and A&M route now. The Michigan State/Stanford route is going to be less and less as time goes along.