Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Lurker
    The old-school, ball-control, clock-eating, methodical-drive offense will only succeed in today's atmosphere with a very good red-zone attack. Owning the time of possession to only score field goals is almost certain doom if your well-rested and stingy defense gets beaten for a couple of TDs.
    That being said, I'm perfectly okay with Loeffler's offense being installed. He and Grimes are aware of the lack of red-zone production and are recruiting to address it. Having two healthy starting TEs will certainly help as well. I fully expect the passing game to take a hit next year regardless of who's under center, but the running game should show significant improvement and this will carry over to red-zone production.

Bama lost because it turned the ball over multiple times. Plain and simple.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NokieHokie View Post
    Keeping it generic... Okay, you burn 7-8 minutes and kick a FG. The other team has an explosive offense. They march down the field and score 7 points in 2 minutes and 5 plays. Do that over and over, who wins?

I know theoretically that shouldn't happen against a greta defenses. But the game is showing us that is does. 1 missed tackle and bam that O is scoring. It's unrealistc no matter how good the D is to expect to hold these high powered offenses to 2 TDs...
    Guess I'm just not letting go of the idea that a great defense will hold much more often than not. That's what makes them great. If the opponent is only getting 7 or 8 possessions and not scoring on all but two of them, then the ball control team, scoring at least a FG on most possessions, should win it every time.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    Guess I'm just not letting go of the idea that a great defense will hold much more often than not. That's what makes them great. If the opponent is only getting 7 or 8 possessions and not scoring on all but two of them, then the ball control team, scoring at least a FG on most possessions, should win it every time.
    If they only allow 3 TDs that sounds like a lot to you. But when everyone is putting up 45 points, only aloowing 3 TDs is a great performance. Your expectations need a calibration adjustment to the realities of modern football.

Except, why? I mean... If you can keep your offense out on the field for 8 or 9 minutes at a time, why can't your defense stop the other team and get a rest while the offense is out on the field? Keep this generic... forget about how badly our offense currently sucks. I'm talking about the game in general. You play strong, ball-control offense and dominating defense. If your defense is forcing a punt in six or fewer plays, why would they ever be worn out as long as your offense can hold onto the football for 8 or 9 minutes at a time, whether you score 0, 3 or 7?

A rested defense doesn't wear, and if they don't wear, they don't give up a lot of points. If you play it right, each team gets 7 or 8 possessions. When you're offense is really on its game, you win 56-0. When you struggle, you win 10-0 or 7-0. The point is, you control the football and the clock and with a great defense, you simply cannot lose. It doesn't matter what kind of offense the other team is running if you have that kind of control of the game.
    In theory, what you suggest could work. The catch is that when the offense has the ball, then it MUST always come away with points. A TD is preferred but a FG is exceptable as long as it results in gaining a 2 or 3 possession lead. Also, a coach is asking his offense to play a perfect game (aka always come away with points on every drive and never punt the ball). Something else to keep in mind is scoring is directly tied with the momentum of the game. A team that scores retains the momentum and a team that doesn't score gives momentum to the opposing team. The 1 exception to that rule is in cases where a defense holds a team to a FG instead of giving up a TD (when a TD would make it at least a 2 possession lead).

Also, keep in mind that momentum of the game is often connected to a team's moral. Generally if a team goes on an 8-9 minute drive and comes away with 0 points, then dejection is generally the immediate reaction (until a coach quickly gives a pep talk). You won't see players dancing or bouncing around immediately after an offense fails to score. That doesn't happen until a coach gives his pep talk. This relationship helps explain why the opposing team will generally take a shot down the field on the very first play. Not only do they want to quickly flip the field, but they also want to attack the opposing team's spirt which is dejected from failing to score points.

I know I'm bringing up the NFL, but all I can think of is Chip Kelly and the Eagles. He does not care about time of possession at all. In fact, I think the Eagles are near the bottom in terms of time of possession.

Kelly wants the Eagles to score as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MEHOKIE View Post
    Bama lost because it turned the ball over multiple times. Plain and simple.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Yep, Bama has gone 72-9 and has doimnated the CFB world for 5 years with an outstanding D/ball control O formula, but after a fluke loss to Auburn and 5 TOs in a loss to OU, the formula doesn't work anymore? A good D and no TOs will stand the test of time.

Quote Originally Posted by BROman Hokie View Post
    Yep, Bama has gone 72-9 and has doimnated the CFB world for 5 years with an outstanding D/ball control O formula, but after a fluke loss to Auburn and 5 TOs in a loss to OU, the formula doesn't work anymore? A good D and no TOs will stand the test of time.
    That formula has a better chance of working when you have your pick of the litter of 5 star recruits. For everyone else not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by BROman Hokie View Post

Their loss to Auburn was not a fluke. Disregard the last play, Alabama had no clue how to stop Auburn's offense. None. And bama has good individual defensive players that will be in the NFL next 2 years.

Want to see what an explosive offense can do for you? I present Baylor and Texas A&m the last 2-3 years. You're never out of the game with an offense like that.

Except, why? I mean... If you can keep your offense out on the field for 8 or 9 minutes at a time, why can't your defense stop the other team and get a rest while the offense is out on the field? Keep this generic... forget about how badly our offense currently sucks. I'm talking about the game in general. You play strong, ball-control offense and dominating defense. If your defense is forcing a punt in six or fewer plays, why would they ever be worn out as long as your offense can hold onto the football for 8 or 9 minutes at a time, whether you score 0, 3 or 7?

A rested defense doesn't wear, and if they don't wear, they don't give up a lot of points. If you play it right, each team gets 7 or 8 possessions. When you're offense is really on its game, you win 56-0. When you struggle, you win 10-0 or 7-0. The point is, you control the football and the clock and with a great defense, you simply cannot lose. It doesn't matter what kind of offense the other team is running if you have that kind of control of the game.
    Absolutely. VT holds Duke to 13, Duke drops 48 on aTm. With Cody off of weed, we would have beaten Duke. With KF healthy, we would have won more. Either in spite of our bad O.

Defense still wins. There are just a lot of bad D's out there.
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

-Albert Einstein