Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Cowherd good this morning.

Quoted J Wooden. Failure is not fatal. Failure to change could be. Said it with respect to Saban but could apply to Beamer.

Quote Originally Posted by DMaroonHokie View Post
    Quoted J Wooden. Failure is not fatal. Failure to change could be. Said it with respect to Saban but could apply to Beamer.
    Also said the way offenses are going you either adapt or die. The best defenses can't hold down up-tempo spread offenses for 60 minutes and the wear you out.

Quote Originally Posted by NokieHokie View Post
    Also said the way offenses are going you either adapt or die. The best defenses can't hold down up-tempo spread offenses for 60 minutes and the wear you out.
    Great point and without a doubt the up tempo offenses make having a viable offense a MUST to win.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAHOKIE View Post
    Great point and without a doubt the up tempo offenses make having a viable offense a MUST to win.
    When you prevent your opponent from scoring, you stand a good chance to win the game - I believe that.

BUT somebody has to score to win, it's better if it's your team, so strive to be excellent on O.

I pray, one day, VT will force it's offensive will as often as we force our defensive will.

+1 the game has swung dramatically to offense and if you don't keep up you cannot compete. Cannot win 17 10 anymore against the big boys

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    +1 the game has swung dramatically to offense and if you don't keep up you cannot compete. Cannot win 17 10 anymore against the big boys
    Yup. It really is that simple. But Frank won't accept or doesn't realize it.

Yup. It really is that simple. But Frank won't accept or doesn't realize it.
    Frank would love a 7 min drive that results in a FG.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieVT View Post
    Frank would love a 7 min drive that results in a FG.
    That is how you lose in today's game.

That is how you lose in today's game.
    Except, why? I mean... If you can keep your offense out on the field for 8 or 9 minutes at a time, why can't your defense stop the other team and get a rest while the offense is out on the field? Keep this generic... forget about how badly our offense currently sucks. I'm talking about the game in general. You play strong, ball-control offense and dominating defense. If your defense is forcing a punt in six or fewer plays, why would they ever be worn out as long as your offense can hold onto the football for 8 or 9 minutes at a time, whether you score 0, 3 or 7?

A rested defense doesn't wear, and if they don't wear, they don't give up a lot of points. If you play it right, each team gets 7 or 8 possessions. When you're offense is really on its game, you win 56-0. When you struggle, you win 10-0 or 7-0. The point is, you control the football and the clock and with a great defense, you simply cannot lose. It doesn't matter what kind of offense the other team is running if you have that kind of control of the game.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    Except, why? I mean... If you can keep your offense out on the field for 8 or 9 minutes at a time, why can't your defense stop the other team and get a rest while the offense is out on the field? Keep this generic... forget about how badly our offense currently sucks. I'm talking about the game in general. You play strong, ball-control offense and dominating defense. If your defense is forcing a punt in six or fewer plays, why would they ever be worn out as long as your offense can hold onto the football for 8 or 9 minutes at a time, whether you score 0, 3 or 7?

A rested defense doesn't wear, and if they don't wear, they don't give up a lot of points. If you play it right, each team gets 7 or 8 possessions. When you're offense is really on its game, you win 56-0. When you struggle, you win 10-0 or 7-0. The point is, you control the football and the clock and with a great defense, you simply cannot lose. It doesn't matter what kind of offense the other team is running if you have that kind of control of the game.
    Keeping it generic... Okay, you burn 7-8 minutes and kick a FG. The other team has an explosive offense. They march down the field and score 7 points in 2 minutes and 5 plays. Do that over and over, who wins?

I know theoretically that shouldn't happen against a greta defenses. But the game is showing us that is does. 1 missed tackle and bam that O is scoring. It's unrealistc no matter how good the D is to expect to hold these high powered offenses to 2 TDs...