My take on the talent problem...

The attrition in the program has been well documented; Chris posted an article earlier this year that detailed all the guys which could be contributing now, that had either left the team, or never made serious progress toward playing time.

I think something that has impacted our current talent as much as anything, has been our "recruiting window". IIRC, a few years ago (maybe four?) Beamer started talking about our recruiting window was a six hour drive from Blacksburg. Well, as more schools are trolling this same area for recruits, I'm just not sure there are enough high-calibur recruits to go around…yes, we could get a high percentage of the talent in that window when we were one of the only schools which heavily targeted this area, but that is not the case anymore.

In addition, I think that narrow six hour window led to lazy recruiting…guys didn't have to take more than a day trip for evaluation or visits. It wouldn't take long for this kind of laziness to take hold, especially in coaches that don't like recruiting anyway (Hite, OCain, Newsome).

I think the biggest positive to our new recruiting strategy is to cast a wider net, geographically, and getting top players from other areas. I do hope we continue to successfully contest for top talent in that six hour window…and I think we will as we regain our success on the field…but I just think that window is too crowded to realistically expect virtually all of our elite roster talent to come from the one area.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonCItyHokie View Post
    The attrition in the program has been well documented; Chris posted an article earlier this year that detailed all the guys which could be contributing now, that had either left the team, or never made serious progress toward playing time.

I think something that has impacted our current talent as much as anything, has been our "recruiting window". IIRC, a few years ago (maybe four?) Beamer started talking about our recruiting window was a six hour drive from Blacksburg. Well, as more schools are trolling this same area for recruits, I'm just not sure there are enough high-calibur recruits to go around…yes, we could get a high percentage of the talent in that window when we were one of the only schools which heavily targeted this area, but that is not the case anymore.

In addition, I think that narrow six hour window led to lazy recruiting…guys didn't have to take more than a day trip for evaluation or visits. It wouldn't take long for this kind of laziness to take hold, especially in coaches that don't like recruiting anyway (Hite, OCain, Newsome).

I think the biggest positive to our new recruiting strategy is to cast a wider net, geographically, and getting top players from other areas. I do hope we continue to successfully contest for top talent in that six hour window…and I think we will as we regain our success on the field…but I just think that window is too crowded to realistically expect virtually all of our elite roster talent to come from the one area.
    As has been stated before, that six hour window is huge. It covers Cleveland to Atlanta and Nashville to the coast. It includes much of Pennsylvania and New Jersey as well as Ohio, Kentucky, Georgia and Tennessee. Of the 330 million people in the entire country, easily a fifth to quarter of them (65 to 70 million) live within six hours of Blacksburg.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!