Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50
  1. #21
    Senior Member vthokiedsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 07, 2012
    Location
    St Pete
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by ReciprocalHokie View Post
    Offensively we're going to suck for at least the next two years.

    Defensively we're taking a huge hit with graduation so next year will be a letdown from an exciting, but ultimately letdown year (cf. last night's disaster).

    Frank is nearing retirement which will affect recruiting. Even so, he won't get the message that the college game has passed him by for a few more years so expect rearranging the deck chairs but no improvement.

    No heir apparent to the top coaching spot, hell we don't even have an AD.

    New coaching staff needs 3-5 years to recruit players for their new system.

    We'll be in neutral or reverse for the next 5-10 years.
    Kendall Fuller. Coach Grimes. Not sure we have a wrinkle but maybe loefflers knack for identifying favorable matchups. Not gonna lie, I'm not very excited about the future. I need to see some appreciable positive momentum before I get excited and donate again.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    3,802
    Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    Kendall Fuller. Coach Grimes. Not sure we have a wrinkle but maybe loefflers knack for identifying favorable matchups. Not gonna lie, I'm not very excited about the future. I need to see some appreciable positive momentum before I get excited and donate again.
    I'm mucho excited for the future. I criticized Loeffler for no improvement in the offense this year. But given he was a new hire, this season he had to play the hand he was dealt. That is not going to be the case going forward. We already have QBs in the system. But just like that, Loeffler has signed a couple of more really good ones.

    I think its impossible to predict what the offense will look like next season. But as I said, this is going to be the most exciting spring in Tech football in years. I will be shocked if Loeffler does not field a significantly improved offense next year.

    2014, we will still be adjusting and learning. But 2015 -2018, we'll be back.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    January 08, 2002
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    16,926
    Quote Originally Posted by ReciprocalHokie View Post
    We had great talent this year, and last, and the year prior. Do any of your responses lead you to believe we'll win the ACC let alone a major bowl next year? Think about this, Duke will likely be ranked higher than us next year. Yeah, I thought so.

    At some point a program has to cut its losses and start fresh. I'm not getting any younger so I don't want to watch a 5 year denouement before crashing and burning. I'd like to see a house cleaning with the new AD.
    We didn't have great talent...
    If we did we wouldn't be starting five freshmen three walk ons on offense

  4. #24
    Senior Member vthokiedsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 07, 2012
    Location
    St Pete
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie1992 View Post
    I'm mucho excited for the future. I criticized Loeffler for no improvement in the offense this year. But given he was a new hire, this season he had to play the hand he was dealt. That is not going to be the case going forward. We already have QBs in the system. But just like that, Loeffler has signed a couple of more really good ones.

    I think its impossible to predict what the offense will look like next season. But as I said, this is going to be the most exciting spring in Tech football in years. I will be shocked if Loeffler does not field a significantly improved offense next year.

    2014, we will still be adjusting and learning. But 2015 -2018, we'll be back.
    i hear what you're saying. there are some things to be excited about. it seems to be a slightly above average recruiting class by VTs standards. unfortunately, my "give a damn" is a little busted right now. micro view, there are some positives. macro view, i'm very concerned with the next 6 - 7 years of our program.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

  5. #25
    Senior Member NCHokie83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 02, 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,857
    Quote Originally Posted by ReciprocalHokie View Post
    Offensively we're going to suck for at least the next two years.

    Defensively we're taking a huge hit with graduation so next year will be a letdown from an exciting, but ultimately letdown year (cf. last night's disaster).

    Frank is nearing retirement which will affect recruiting. Even so, he won't get the message that the college game has passed him by for a few more years so expect rearranging the deck chairs but no improvement.

    No heir apparent to the top coaching spot, hell we don't even have an AD.

    New coaching staff needs 3-5 years to recruit players for their new system.

    We'll be in neutral or reverse for the next 5-10 years.
    Our recruiting has seen a major uptick with these new coaches. THAT excites me right now more than anything else.
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

  6. #26

    Join Date
    January 08, 2002
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    16,926
    Can't point to just one...I'm excited about a LOT of our Fr and recruits

  7. #27

    Join Date
    September 05, 2005
    Location
    Christiansburg, VA
    Posts
    13,784
    Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    i hear what you're saying. there are some things to be excited about. it seems to be a slightly above average recruiting class by VTs standards. unfortunately, my "give a damn" is a little busted right now. micro view, there are some positives. macro view, i'm very concerned with the next 6 - 7 years of our program.
    I believe you got your macro and micro views mixed up.

  8. #28
    Senior Member NCHokie83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 02, 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,857
    Quote Originally Posted by ReciprocalHokie View Post
    We had great talent this year, and last, and the year prior. Do any of your responses lead you to believe we'll win the ACC let alone a major bowl next year? Think about this, Duke will likely be ranked higher than us next year. Yeah, I thought so.

    At some point a program has to cut its losses and start fresh. I'm not getting any younger so I don't want to watch a 5 year denouement before crashing and burning. I'd like to see a house cleaning with the new AD.
    No we did not. Offensively, we had Logan Thomas, who was a below average QB ACC quarterback for his career, and arguably the worst over the last 2 seasons, and when you consider he was never supposed to play QB for us in the first place, its hard to fault him on that. We had a completely depleted WR corps, our TE situation forced us to start a guy who had never played football before, our RBs are all undersized and speedy who all struggle on the North/South plays, and our OL, even while playing a season together, consistently got abused on a weekly basis. Our offensive talent hasn't ever been as depleted as we saw this year. Our previous coaches failed this team and the result is what we saw this year.

    Thankfully, things are looking to quickly resolve themselves when you look at the incoming class. 2 4* RBs and QBs, hand picked OLmen, and legitimate WRs. Things are going to get better. I'm just glad this season is finally over.
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

  9. #29
    Senior Member vthokiedsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 07, 2012
    Location
    St Pete
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosnowahokie View Post
    I believe you got your macro and micro views mixed up.
    micro i meant things like edmunds, solid recruiting class at some positions, bringing back some experience at WR. macro i meant, head coach after beamer, program perception among fan base, etc.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    19,740
    I'm 76 so just another year to watch tech play win or lose. been behind them since before I started in 56. will be behind them until I'm 6' under. I was behind them when they lost to Davidson 9-7 and when they played for the mnc. I was behind them 12/31/13 and i'll behind them when they lose next year. GO HOKIES!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •