Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50
  1. #1

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    16,859

    Point to one...ONE...player/coach/wrinkle/whatever that excites you for the future.

    Offensively we're going to suck for at least the next two years.

    Defensively we're taking a huge hit with graduation so next year will be a letdown from an exciting, but ultimately letdown year (cf. last night's disaster).

    Frank is nearing retirement which will affect recruiting. Even so, he won't get the message that the college game has passed him by for a few more years so expect rearranging the deck chairs but no improvement.

    No heir apparent to the top coaching spot, hell we don't even have an AD.

    New coaching staff needs 3-5 years to recruit players for their new system.

    We'll be in neutral or reverse for the next 5-10 years.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    March 13, 2003
    Location
    Stone Ridge, VA
    Posts
    3,969
    Quote Originally Posted by ReciprocalHokie View Post
    Offensively we're going to suck for at least the next two years.

    Defensively we're taking a huge hit with graduation so next year will be a letdown from an exciting, but ultimately letdown year (cf. last night's disaster).

    Frank is nearing retirement which will affect recruiting. Even so, he won't get the message that the college game has passed him by for a few more years so expect rearranging the deck chairs but no improvement.

    No heir apparent to the top coaching spot, hell we don't even have an AD.

    New coaching staff needs 3-5 years to recruit players for their new system.

    We'll be in neutral or reverse for the next 5-10 years.

    Things that excite me:

    1-) great recruiting class coming in
    2-) Edmunds at RB
    3-) Young WR's advancing their game
    4-) Cline at TE
    5-) Malleck back at TE. Should have great 2 TE sets next year.
    6-) O-line battles in offseason. Young transfers from D and new recruits add athleticism to year 2 of Grimes
    7-) Maddy coming back on D
    8-) Facyson and Fuller allowing Bud to attack on defense
    9-) Any new kicker has to be better than what we have on O
    10-) Much better home slate of games in 2014.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    16,859
    We had great talent this year, and last, and the year prior. Do any of your responses lead you to believe we'll win the ACC let alone a major bowl next year? Think about this, Duke will likely be ranked higher than us next year. Yeah, I thought so.

    At some point a program has to cut its losses and start fresh. I'm not getting any younger so I don't want to watch a 5 year denouement before crashing and burning. I'd like to see a house cleaning with the new AD.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    3,190
    I'm excited about the wrinkle of adding and executing a true screen pass to a TB to the offense!

    Unfortunately, I'm serious about that - it's been "missing" for a decade or so - and do not tell me it is Beamer because we used to run a great double screen to TB's with Bustle.

    To attempt to run our "offensive scheme" the past decade, and at times have KJ, DW, RW talent at TB and NOT run screen passes against teams blitzing our helpless passing game relentlessly was a sure sign of an unqualified offensive staff in over their heads.

    We've got fresh talent coming in at needed areas and some nice talent returning and I do think Loeffler and Grimes will fix things in a couple years, but next year is likely to be a really tough year.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    March 13, 2003
    Location
    Stone Ridge, VA
    Posts
    3,969
    Quote Originally Posted by ReciprocalHokie View Post
    We had great talent this year, and last, and the year prior. Do any of your responses lead you to believe we'll win the ACC let alone a major bowl next year? Think about this, Duke will likely be ranked higher than us next year. Yeah, I thought so.

    At some point a program has to cut its losses and start fresh. I'm not getting any younger so I don't want to watch a 5 year denouement before crashing and burning. I'd like to see a house cleaning with the new AD.
    At this point, it's doubtful on winning the ACC with what we have at QB. Major bowl? What is that, a BCS bowl. Then no, not next year. But a complete housecleaning isn't going to get that for you either.

    But you mentioned Duke. Who had them winning the Coastal and playing A&M to 52-48? Nobody, that's who.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    September 05, 2005
    Location
    Christiansburg, VA
    Posts
    13,784
    Quote Originally Posted by ReciprocalHokie View Post
    We had great talent this year, and last, and the year prior. Do any of your responses lead you to believe we'll win the ACC let alone a major bowl next year? Think about this, Duke will likely be ranked higher than us next year. Yeah, I thought so.

    At some point a program has to cut its losses and start fresh. I'm not getting any younger so I don't want to watch a 5 year denouement before crashing and burning. I'd like to see a house cleaning with the new AD.
    Great talent? Where was there great talent on the offensive side of the ball? Pure and simple, had there been decent talent on the offensive side of the ball, this team would have been 10-3 (Alabama, BC and FSU in ACCCG) and would have played Johnny Football last night.


    I think Will needs to close the boards down for 2 days and force everyone to breathe. The overreaction on this board is crazy.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    16,859
    [QUOTE=hokiesrule98;894033]At this point, it's doubtful on winning the ACC with what we have at QB. Major bowl? What is that, a BCS bowl. Then no, not next year. But a complete housecleaning isn't going to get that for you either.

    A complete housecleaning may very well be a disaster over the next 5 years, but the status quo will almost CERTAINLY be a disaster over the next 5 years and then we'll still need another half decade to affect the complete housecleaning we *KNOW* is coming with Frank Beamer's retirement.

    That's my point, pay now or pay later after years of struggling in the middle of a very average ACC pack.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    September 05, 2005
    Location
    Christiansburg, VA
    Posts
    13,784
    Quote Originally Posted by ReciprocalHokie View Post
    At this point, it's doubtful on winning the ACC with what we have at QB. Major bowl? What is that, a BCS bowl. Then no, not next year. But a complete housecleaning isn't going to get that for you either.

    A complete housecleaning may very well be a disaster over the next 5 years, but the status quo will almost CERTAINLY be a disaster over the next 5 years and then we'll still need another half decade to affect the complete housecleaning we *KNOW* is coming with Frank Beamer's retirement.

    That's my point, pay now or pay later after years of struggling in the middle of a very average ACC pack.
    What do you call a new offensive coordinator, new offensive line coach and new wide receivers coach?

    Are you really suggesting getting rid of EVERYONE? Bud, Torrian Gray, Charlie Wiles and the crew on the defensive side who are Top 3 in the nation of defensive coaching staffs?
    Last edited by hoosnowahokie; Wed Jan 01 2014 at 03:46 PM.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    March 13, 2003
    Location
    Stone Ridge, VA
    Posts
    3,969
    The attribution of those quotes above are messed up. I'm not advocating getting rid of anyone.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    16,859
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosnowahokie View Post
    What do you call a new offensive coordinator, new offensive line coach and new wide receivers coach?

    Are you really suggesting getting rid of EVERYONE? Bud, Torrian Gray, Charlie Wiles and the crew on the defensive side who are Top 3 in the nation of defensive coaching staffs?
    Those quotes were mine, and yes I advocate a complete housecleaning from AD to waterboy. Maybe get one of the fired coaches from the top 10 teams who can't stand not winning the MNC in the past 3 years.

    Which brings me to my next peeve, this message board format. I'm sure the misquoting was my screwup but I left this site because of the board format; I hate it that much. And before you make the suggestion, I'll be gone again soon enough.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •