Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAHOKIE View Post
    Just hope he gets drafted and has great career at whichever position he can excel in the NFL. If QB all the better but TE's are important part of offenses these days.
    It'll be interesting to see which group he's in for the combine. I'd guess as a QB, but it would be interesting to see what his stats are v. the TE group.
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by I85Hokie View Post
    While rare, some college QBs do go on to play other positions in the NFL. Antwan Randle-El is probably the most successful example. And Arkansas had an LT-sized QB who was specifically drafted to play TE in the NFL. I don't think he had a very successful career, however.
    Matt Jones is who you are think of that played QB at Arkansas, but switched to WR in the NFL. His career was cut short due to substance abuse issues (cocaine and marijuana). Brad Smith (Missouri) is another that made the switch from QB to WR.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    There are dozens of tight ends with LT's build and speed in college football. Why would an NFL franchise draft LT as a TE when there are college players available who actually played TE?
    Because guys like Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham have shown you don't really need college experience at TE to be a top-flight NFL TE.

which is not to say I think anyone will draft LT with TE in mind as the first option...but I think it may help his stock rise that the possibility is there

I think he's going to shine in a workout/combine situation and would be smart to do some things that show he has potential to play somewhere other than QB

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    There are dozens of tight ends with LT's build and speed in college football. Why would an NFL franchise draft LT as a TE when there are college players available who actually played TE?
    Why did the Saints take a flyer on a guy who primarily played basketball in college and convert him to full time TE?

The ship has sailed on LT being a QB in the league. If he wants to play on Sundays, TE is his best bet, and he'll be a good one at that.
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Why did the Saints take a flyer on a guy who primarily played basketball in college and convert him to full time TE?

The ship has sailed on LT being a QB in the league. If he wants to play on Sundays, TE is his best bet, and he'll be a good one at that.
    I don't think the ship has sailed completely, but whoever drafts him (I do think it's 90%+ that he is drafted) will explain that "he's a versatile football player who can help our team in a variety of ways."

But I think he will be drafted with "QB" next to his name.