Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Logan Thomas will be a Tight End in the NFL

I was hoping he'd show me this season that he had what it takes to be an NFL QB but I didn't see it and after watching his brusing run before he got knocked out of the game, it only confirmed for me that his next gig will be as an NFL tight end, not QB. He's a physical specimen at 6'-6", 260 lbs and he has a bazooka for an arm but he just doesn't have the touch or accuracy to be an NFL QB. If he can get the blocking techniques down, I think he can be a very good NFL TE and I think that's how he will be drafted.
    Probably go in the 4th or 5th round.
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the screaming passengers in his car.

Quote Originally Posted by YBYSAIAHokie View Post
    I was hoping he'd show me this season that he had what it takes to be an NFL QB but I didn't see it and after watching his brusing run before he got knocked out of the game, it only confirmed for me that his next gig will be as an NFL tight end, not QB. He's a physical specimen at 6'-6", 260 lbs and he has a bazooka for an arm but he just doesn't have the touch or accuracy to be an NFL QB. If he can get the blocking techniques down, I think he can be a very good NFL TE and I think that's how he will be drafted.
    You could be right, we'll see. Along these lines, TE isn't merely a glorified tackle who can also catch the ball. Shannon Sharpe made the Hall of Fame as a TE but he spent most of his time split out like a WR.

Agreed, I don't think he's good enough to stick as a QB in the NFL. Great measurables, but measurables alone don't get it done in the NFL. You have to know where to go with the ball, be able to read defenses, throw with extreme accuracy, and display incredible touch. I don't think he's at the pro level in any of those categories. Maybe he could learn the 1st 2, but accuracy and touch can't be learned at this point.

I'm rooting for him though, and hell, maybe he can play TE. Lots of successful TE's in pros without large quantities of football experience prior.

I disagree. He's a college qb, but an NFL project that will get a chance for a backup role while learning his NFL QB game.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MEHOKIE View Post
    I disagree. He's a college qb, but an NFL project that will get a chance for a backup role while learning his NFL QB game.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Well it's about time someone said he's a QB instead of a TE playing QB. Sorry, I just couldn't resist. That TE/QB stuff drove me crazy.

Wonder what scouts are saying? Is there talk of certain rounds as a TE and other rounds as a QB? Could he go higher as a TE?
    Are some teams looking at him as a TE and others as a QB? If so, which LT goes higher? Does he have a choice? Does he have to get talked into the QB spot again?

There are dozens of tight ends with LT's build and speed in college football. Why would an NFL franchise draft LT as a TE when there are college players available who actually played TE?

I'm sure there are a few (maybe numerous) NFL teams that will take a chance with Thomas and draft him between the 3rd and 5th round. I'm sure the scouts and management will listen to what Scot Loeffler has to say. Loeffler did work with Tom Brady, Chad Henne, and Tim Tebow. Maybe Thomas will sit on the bench for a year or two learning the game? Maybe some team will use him sparingly as a TE as he learns the QB position as a 3rd stringer? If QB doesn't work out for him, he may become a TE as many are predicting. I don't think Thomas will be as stubborn as Tim Tebow when asked to change positions. Some good college QB's have played WR, RB, and TE in the NFL, so Thomas wouldn't be the first.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    There are dozens of tight ends with LT's build and speed in college football. Why would an NFL franchise draft LT as a TE when there are college players available who actually played TE?
    Wait a minute. I thought LT was actually, really, no doubt-about-it, a TE who switched to QB. Now all of a sudden, he's not a TE?

Not saying you were one of them, lawhokie.

Just hope he gets drafted and has great career at whichever position he can excel in the NFL. If QB all the better but TE's are important part of offenses these days.

Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    While rare, some college QBs do go on to play other positions in the NFL. Antwan Randle-El is probably the most successful example. And Arkansas had an LT-sized QB who was specifically drafted to play TE in the NFL. I don't think he had a very successful career, however.