Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Join Date
    September 22, 2002
    Posts
    3,384

    Why is everybody crying in their beer over this loss?

    Our best defensive player was out, our best RB was out, and our starting QB was out in the 2nd quarter and it was still a close game in the 4th against a favored UCLA squad. What did you expect? With those guys healthy this is a much different game.

  2. #2
    HOaKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    1,178
    Quote Originally Posted by HwoodHokie View Post
    Our best defensive player was out, our best RB was out, and our starting QB was out in the 2nd quarter and it was still a close game in the 4th against a favored UCLA squad. What did you expect? With those guys healthy this is a much different game.
    I'm not sure everyone would agree that it would have been a MUCH different game with those players. Some of our better players did not play very well today and having Exum or Fuller would not have changed the play of some. And I think Tech ran the ball OK without Trey so I don't think we would have more total runnings yards if he played.
    "The point of the journey is not To Arrive"....Neil Peart

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by HwoodHokie View Post
    Our best defensive player was out, our best RB was out, and our starting QB was out in the 2nd quarter and it was still a close game in the 4th against a favored UCLA squad. What did you expect? With those guys healthy this is a much different game.
    As long as a defender insists on using arm tackles to stop the offensive player with the ball, then he will hear the offensive player say 'ole' as he runs past him.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    September 22, 2002
    Posts
    3,384
    Quote Originally Posted by HOaKIE View Post
    I'm not sure everyone would agree that it would have been a MUCH different game with those players. Some of our better players did not play very well today and having Exum or Fuller would not have changed the play of some. And I think Tech ran the ball OK without Trey so I don't think we would have more total runnings yards if he played.
    I just think Fuller would have been KEY holding Hundley more in check running and UCLAs RBs couldn't do anything. And if we ran OK today, I think we could have been much better with Trey.

    Looked at another way, what if all of our guys were healthy and Barr was out and Hundley went down early? It's a huge change in expectations especially when your starting QB goes down.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by HwoodHokie View Post
    I just think Fuller would have been KEY holding Hundley more in check running and UCLAs RBs couldn't do anything. And if we ran OK today, I think we could have been much better with Trey.

    Looked at another way, what if all of our guys were healthy and Barr was out and Hundley went down early? It's a huge change in expectations especially when your starting QB goes down.
    I disagree that UCLA would have been in the same boat as VT was in today's game. UCLA has a lot more depth and more play makers that could have picked up the slack for Barr. Hundley's running game would have been more difficult to replace. However, Jordan James is capable to pick up the slack in the running game (see the comeback UCLA had against Nebraska to win by 20 points) . If for some reason James was struggling, then Mora would have just called more dink and dunk plays. A 3 or 4 yard pass is just as good as a 3 or 4 yard run.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 18, 2012
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by HwoodHokie View Post
    Our best defensive player was out, our best RB was out, and our starting QB was out in the 2nd quarter and it was still a close game in the 4th against a favored UCLA squad. What did you expect? With those guys healthy this is a much different game.
    It's not about losing, it's about how we play. We are all tear in our beer because on these bowl game stages when other teams come out and look fresh and ready to go, we look like the first game of the season. Playing well and losing is one thing. Playing ok and getting blown out is completely different and lots of fans (myself included) are frustrated because it is the same problems year after year.

  7. #7
    Senior Member UberHOKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia
    Posts
    29,035
    Quote Originally Posted by HwoodHokie View Post
    Our best defensive player was out, our best RB was out, and our starting QB was out in the 2nd quarter and it was still a close game in the 4th against a favored UCLA squad. What did you expect? With those guys healthy this is a much different game.
    I agree. Exum and Fuller would have made a world of difference. Our starting QB, RB, both CBs and TE were out for all or part of the game. We are in the process of cleaning up Stinesprings mess and stuck working with what they were handed and some how we are suppose to compete with UCLA as if a turn around was going to occur since the end of the regular season. We all wanted change and it's taken place. But it takes time. God's a HOKIE but has more important miracles to work. Basically too many aren't realistic on what can be done and when. Look as close as Obnixville to see hke that works.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Location
    Blacksburg
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombo View Post
    It's not about losing, it's about how we play. We are all tear in our beer because on these bowl game stages when other teams come out and look fresh and ready to go, we look like the first game of the season. Playing well and losing is one thing. Playing ok and getting blown out is completely different and lots of fans (myself included) are frustrated because it is the same problems year after year.
    Yup.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •