Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Posts
    4,555

    Lou Holtz finally gets something right , and it look like it hurt him to say it

    "VT is just another team in the ACC"

    He speaks the truth

  2. #2
    Sad to say, but I think that he pretty much said what we've all known for a couple of years. Don't get me wrong - - FB has done great things for VT football; however, it's time for a change.

  3. #3
    HOaKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    1,178
    Quote Originally Posted by 48tnhokie View Post
    "VT is just another team in the ACC"

    He speaks the truth
    What Mark May and Holtz said, to paraphrase, is that Tech used to be tough and mean. Now they aren't. They used to be the nasty team you had to beat to win the ACC. Now they are just another team in the ACC.

    We gotta get our nasty back!
    "The point of the journey is not To Arrive"....Neil Peart

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by HOaKIE View Post
    What Mark May and Holtz said, to paraphrase, is that Tech used to be tough and mean. Now they aren't. They used to be the nasty team you had to beat to win the ACC. Now they are just another team in the ACC.

    We gotta get our nasty back!
    Yup, they said you feel pain the day after you played VT.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 14, 2012
    Posts
    354
    And that's not good for the ACC, because a strong VT is good for the ACC. The only other teams with comparable fan support are FSU and Clemson. I admire Duke for what they are doing, but their fan response will always be lukewarm, making them a poor representative for the conference.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by HOaKIE View Post
    What Mark May and Holtz said, to paraphrase, is that Tech used to be tough and mean. Now they aren't. They used to be the nasty team you had to beat to win the ACC. Now they are just another team in the ACC.

    We gotta get our nasty back!
    I know it doesn't make good business sense, but I would start playing 6 away games every year. Also, it would be against nonpower schools that historical play the power schools tough (i.e. So. Miss, Boise St, Fresno St, Utah St, Troy, MTSU, Toledo, Miami (OH), etc). Unfortunately, I believe the program has forgotten what it means to have a "blue collar" mentality. I believe playing games in hostile environments is a good way to remind them program what it means and takes to overcome adversity. I would say VT could play only power conference schools, but I am not sure the program has the mental fortunate to overcome a blowout loss. If they start to happen on a regular basis, then I believe it could set the program back even further. Until the program proves that it belongs with the others in the power conferences, then I would treat it like a nonpower program.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    15,119
    Quote Originally Posted by HOaKIE View Post
    What Mark May and Holtz said, to paraphrase, is that Tech used to be tough and mean. Now they aren't. They used to be the nasty team you had to beat to win the ACC. Now they are just another team in the ACC.

    We gotta get our nasty back!
    I disagree - tough and nasty no longer = winning in college football. We didn't lose to UCLA because they were tougher than us. Now, it's all about innovation, and we haven't had that in a long, long while.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    I disagree - tough and nasty no longer = winning in college football. We didn't lose to UCLA because they were tougher than us. Now, it's all about innovation, and we haven't had that in a long, long while.
    If a team wants to play a "blue collar" style of football, which VT does, then it requires a level of toughness and nastiness. Basically the offense is telling the opposing defense, 'We are running or throwing here (to a certain hole or spot on the field). Try and stop us." The defense is telling the opposing offense "If you try to run or throw where you want to, then all you will find is a brick wall."

  9. #9

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Location
    Blacksburg
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    I disagree - tough and nasty no longer = winning in college football. We didn't lose to UCLA because they were tougher than us. Now, it's all about innovation, and we haven't had that in a long, long while.
    tougher and nasty no longer = winning in college football by themselves but they are still extremely important

  10. #10
    vthokieq's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13, 1999
    Location
    Will Stewart's dog house
    Posts
    54,549
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    I disagree - tough and nasty no longer = winning in college football. We didn't lose to UCLA because they were tougher than us. Now, it's all about innovation, and we haven't had that in a long, long while.
    Actually...they were tougher, nastier, faster, AND more innovative. They were just flat out better. Simply is what it is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •